Television (or perhaps radio) news?

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Since retiring a few months ago, I find myself doing something I've never done before....puttering around some mornings getting caught up on long overlooked items...
While puttering, I like to listen to news in the background, I have been listening via television rather than radio.

What passes for news is not the definition of news that I remember. Maybe it's a sign of aging, but the major channels might read off the headlines, then quickly switch to celebrity updates, social commentary/social justice commentary or break up into smaller segments to push the sale of consumer items.

I don't necessarily have a problem with any of the above, but when I want to learn what is currently happening in the US and abroad today, these are not newsworthy.

Do you have a recommendation for a television or radio channel that I can listen to for a discussion of current events (not opinions, only facts) in the mornings? So far, all I have found is Bloomberg Business News....not bad unto itself, but I would like to hear about other than business news as well. thanks

I listen to news on the radio - find your local NPR station and give it a try. My favorite (and local) one is WHYY out of Philadelphia, so there's some local news but it's mostly national, with a lot of in-depth stories. You can listen to it online here: https://whyy.org/radio-schedule/

Local public radio station (WAMU) here has the BBC Newshour from 9-10 every morning, which gives a different perspective on international news. If you have a smart speaker, you should be able to listen to WAMU if your local station doesn't cover it, or find it some other way as well.

<mod note> Please avoid the “left-right” descriptions that have led to other similar discussions ending prematurely. Why you don’t watch specific tv news stations is not the thread question. OP is asking for suggestions.

The POTUS channel on Sirius, particularly the morning show, Julie Mason Mornings, 6-9am east. She interviews political figures and journalists on the news of the day, including sources left, right and center. She doesn't do the counter punditry, and particularly with actual politicians just gets out of the way and let's them talk - letting her audiences form their own opinion rather than hers.

I've been listening to her for years and I still can't tell which way she leans, other that away from BS, and with a general cynical gen-x-snark view towards all of it.

I avoid watching or listening to news these days, as I find it utterly depressing and soul-crushing for the most part. But when I get the occasional itch, I tune into The PBS NewsHour for its no-nonsense, straightforward news reporting across a wide range of global and national news topics. There is no 24-hour news source that I'm aware of, either radio or TV, that provides unbiased, unembellished, no-commentary, no-spin news reporting.

I watch local TV news when I'm eating lunch. That gets me caught up on things happening in my local area. I usually only watch till the weather report, which is typically the first 15-20 minutes, then I turn it off.

I watch the national TV news in the evening to see what's happening around the country or the world. Again, the first 15-20 minutes is usually all that is important, then I turn it off.

Other than that, I prefer to read news to get through it quicker. That will either be various news feeds using RSSOwl on my computer, or Google News on my Android tablet. The thing I like about either of these is that I can custom tailor the news I want to see. For example, I can filter out celebrity news and crime drama, and focus on more financial, retirement, environmental, or technology news.

The only news we watch anymore is PBSNewshour. You can stream it live, or watch on YouTube anytime after the live broadcast - both free. Pay TV "news" has become a misnomer for the most part and I won't watch/listen to any of it, right or left. Very sad.

I tend to avoid the news since retiring (for the sake of my blood pressure) but when I do want to watch/listen I turn to PBS NewsHour or the local public radio station.

My primary source of news is PBS / NPR. I'll often listen to it on my bedside clock radio when I wake up early, but don't want to get out of bed yet. I appreciate KQED, the SF station so much, I included them in my will.

Last edited:
Our local news stations (TV and Radio) have a few reporters who I have found to be thorough and accurate for the most part. So, I follow these people more than I follow a particular station. Interestingly, most of them are women. Most of the news show hosts are well.... not particularly sharp, IMO. But these ladies will ask the right questions and and not shy about pointing out that Representative Foggyponce did not answer the question.

Last edited:
I appreciate your pain. NPR and Bloomberg are both exceptional. But everything gets repetitive after a while. I try the BBC, FR24, even Al Jazerra and RT.

But like others have mentioned, you get the maximum value after the first half hour or so. And some stories get covered by them all so you get repetition among them too.

I can't recommend any morning network news programs anymore. I used to religiously watch on of the stations that had the slogan like "News is back the mornings" but that station has turned more like one of the other stations that shows fluff. Entertainment talk show format.

Like the OP, after I FIRE'd did find myself turning more to seeking out news. Surprised myself.

Thank you but that doesn't sound like just a reporting of the news?

If you meant my post about Julie Mason/Sirius, nope, it's more the reporting behind the reporting - more in depth analysis. "fascinating piece you wrote there, tell us more about it" kinda thing.

I usually listen on the app (skipping ads and most actual politicians), after the show is done, often a day behind, and it's almost always still relevant, and always entertaining.

OP I have the same issue:
I listen to the radio and watch TV news. Unfortunately while each contain news there is sprinkled within each useless drivel.

On the Internet I read CNN.com and other news sites, same problem, along with the news will be "<supposedly famous person> looks stunning without makeup" :facepalm:

Why is this on the front page available to the WORLD to see, are there no water problems in some country or other calamity :confused:

Local public radio station (WAMU) here has the BBC Newshour from 9-10 every morning, which gives a different perspective on international news. If you have a smart speaker, you should be able to listen to WAMU if your local station doesn't cover it, or find it some other way as well.
NPR is still firmly in the liberal camp, but IMO it is probably closer to center than most US sources. I, too, like it and the BBC Newshour feed.

I also read some internet pages like WaPo, NYT, TheHill, etc. but certainly won't defend them as unbiased. I recently added Deutsche Welle's English service to this list (https://www.dw.com/en/top-stories/s-9097) and will be interested to evaluate its view.

Remember, "news in the background" can include internet "radio," so the range is near-infinite. Radio Belarus, anyone? https://www.radiobelarus.by/en

Edit: No television suggestions from here. Our TV is turned on maybe a couple of hours a year for some special situation like an election. But lately we've been getting election news from our tablets/internet.

Last edited:
News...no thank you. I used to be obsessed with market news during my working years. Now...don't care.

As what I like to think as a moderate, there's nothing out there that caters to my worldview, so I pass.

I wanted to think it wasn't too much to ask -

as examples, I just would like to know when an earthquake happens and where, who won an election, if there has been a multiple shooting, are we expecting a solar flare, if there's been an airline or factory strike, any major health news developments....

I don't need opinions or more product ads, they can be found anywhere lol.

I will check out PBS News Hour, thank you.

......I will check out PBS News Hour, thank you.
I've been watching Newshour for years, but lately I just watch it once a week. The reason is that they cover international news that other news sources don't cover and I really can't take the suffering I see almost nightly of refugees and other impoverished people around the world. It is especially hard to see starving children and desperate mothers.

This is not a knock on Newshour, their coverage is excellent, IMHO, but I just have a limit on exposure to human tragedy.

I watch PBS Newshour often although many of the segments, especially international ones, don't interest me much. I like the Brooks and Capehart piece on Friday nights as well as a similar chat with Amy Walter and Tamara Keith on Monday nights. Then, on Friday nights, I watch PBS Washington Week.

I'll watch my local cable news station for local issues such as weather and traffic. Over the years, though, I have found it tougher to watch the local news, and not just due to Covid.

No news watching or listening here. I prefer to read articles or listen to selected podcasts.

We don’t have broadcast or cable TV or use radio. Very few commercials invade my life.

.........I'll watch my local cable news station for local issues such as weather and traffic..........
The local news stations have cuter blond "news readers".

One local news and talk station has several hosts on the air whose politics are maybe 50% to 70% in line with mine. But, they are always trying to drum up some level of outrage by emphasizing the negative. I find these people toxic. Amazingly, their toxins flow even if I agree with their views. Now I listen to about 20 minutes of newcasts (NPR, BBC, CBC) at the start of the day. If the world has not ended, I get on with my life.

Back
Top Bottom