Ten Favorite Movies of All Time

But, but, but The Good, Bad, and Ugly as a movie is truly iconic for its genre, and of course the music is a big part of it.

Yes, but not for Eastwood. It's the direction, the music and Eli Wallach.

Eastwood's acting certainly was better as he aged. The time between his early Western movies and Unforgiven is almost 30 years.

I need to watch Unforgiven again, but remember that Million Dollar Baby was good, and he was also the director. Both movies won accolades and several Academy Awards.

Eastwood's acting certainly was better as he aged. The time between his early Western movies and Unforgiven is almost 30 years.

I need to watch Unforgiven again, but remember that Million Dollar Baby was good, and he was also the director. Both movies won accolades and several Academy Awards.

Agreed, "Million Dollar Baby" was a fine movie.

There must be over 300 movies here all good. I will go military:

Platoon
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket

And my personal head scratcher: Elvira Madigan

What about Charlton Heston? Wow the iconic movies he's been in:
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes
Omega Man
Science fiction at its finest.

What about Charlton Heston? Wow the iconic movies he's been in:
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes
Omega Man
Science fiction at its finest.

Plus @Lakewood's avatar = Ten Commandments.

To be frank (blunt), I find most of Eastwood's work to be mediocre. Yeah, it's popular, but most of his characters have comic-book depth. His best films are a triumph of casting -- Gene Hackman as Little Bill in "The Unforgiven" along with Richard Harris as English Bob. Eastwood himself is a cardboard cutout. "In the Line of Fire" is good because the villain is John Malkovich. Eastwood is Dirty Harry with an earpiece.

Back in the 1960's when I was back from the War and single, his movies were better than watching the Met's play in NY.:D

Come to think of it, Eastwood is a late bloomer when it comes to acting. If you don't think so, go look at this following clip from "The Gauntlet" (1977) where he was also the director. Then, compare his acting then to the more recent movies that we just talked about.

Eastwood got away with a lot, due to his good look and height (6'4"). A guy like Al Pacino who's only 5'7" has to work a lot harder to play a tough scary guy, and he did look scary in his roles.

Last edited:
Went to the Kaufman in Kansas City courtesy the Wife's Valentine gift - and heard the symphony score Casablanca with Bergman. Bogie and the boys.

I'm sure there are nine other movies and they have been trying hard since then.

heh heh heh - you might say I'm prejudiced and as a left handed INTJ my mind is made up. BTY the Wife has other movies in mind BUT she knows how to ring my bell. :dance: :D ;)

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/fuaSi-H0oGY

We Were Soldiers has a great final battle scene where I really enjoyed the music. It's called Sgt. Mckenzie and is a Scottish ode to a world War I soldier. Another great movie music scene.

Not sure I can list 10, but the ones that come to the top of my list are:

Passion Fish
Second Hand Lions
Sunshine State
Forrest Gump

How could I forget Body Heat? Kathleen Turner at her best!

Also,
The Game with Michael Douglas and The Spanish Prisoner with Steve Martin if you like twisty turny thrillers.

We just finished watching "The Spanish Prisoner". Never heard of this movie, and we have not watched any in a long time, so checked out a DVD from the library.

It is a good movie, with the scenes and shots reminding me of Hitchcock movies.

At about 2/3 of the movie, I told my wife I thought I knew where the plot was heading. And I was right. The last few scenes were a bit contrived, and we both agreed that they could be better, meaning more realistic and believable.

Here's my ten:

Goodfellas
Catch Me If You Can
Clockwork Orange
Shawshank Redemption
Papillon (original)
Midnight Cowboy
Risky Business
Annie Hall
Deliverance
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

Honorable mention: Leaving Las Vegas, The Wrestler, The House on Haunted Hill (original), the Graduate, American Hustle, The Heartbreak Kid (original), Psycho

Richard Gere favorites: Oh my, he's been in 52 movies.

Primal Fear
Unfaithful
American Gigolo
Breathless
Looking for Mr Goodbar

Goodfellas
Platoon
Wall Street
The Town
Boyhood
City of God
The Waking Life