Test to Treat initiative

Status
Not open for further replies.

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/default.aspx

"Test to Treat
The Biden-Harris Administration launched a new nationwide Test to Treat initiative in March to give individuals an important way to quickly access free lifesaving treatment for COVID-19. Through this program, people are able to get tested and – if they are positive and treatments are appropriate for them – receive a prescription from a health care provider, and have their prescription filled all at one location. These “One-Stop Test to Treat” sites are available at hundreds of locations nationwide, including pharmacy-based clinics, Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA)-supported federally-qualified health centers (FQHCs), and long-term care facilities. People can continue to be tested and treated by their own health care providers who can appropriately prescribe these oral antivirals at locations where the medicines are distributed. "

I would like to understand how this program actually works. Do I need to contact my PCP to test and if I am positive my PCP will prescribe the medication? Or I can simply walk into my local CVS (I found one by searching under their locator) to schedule a test, if positive, they will provide the medication to me?

The test to treat was in the news again today about the covid pills for treatment.

My understanding is, you can go to a test to treat location, get tested there and then get the pill prescribed there, or even bring your own home test result to the test to treat location.

https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/process.aspx

Not sure if just walk in or need to call advance.

Hope will never come to that, being soon double boosted, but I see there's a location about 4 miles from me.

The test to treat was in the news again today about the covid pills for treatment.

Hope will never come to that, being soon double boosted, but I see there's a location about 4 miles from me.

I received my second booster 4/14, and tested positive for Covid 4/20 at home followed by a positive PCR test at a clinic. Booster is no guarantee of avoiding Covid, but reduces the severity. After having it, I’d hate to have caught it without the vaccinations. I’m recovering now, but it was nasty. I did receive the Pfizer antiviral drugs on 4/21, as did my wife. PCP sent prescriptions to a Rite Aid near us and we got them no charge.
They do leave a horrible taste in your mouth that stays with you, and some folks get diarrhea. I had to stop taking Primidone because of interaction and that has caused a problem, though I finish my last dose tomorrow.

I received my second booster 4/14, and tested positive for Covid 4/20 at home followed by a positive PCR test at a clinic. Booster is no guarantee of avoiding Covid, but reduces the severity. After having it, I’d hate to have caught it without the vaccinations. I’m recovering now, but it was nasty. I did receive the Pfizer antiviral drugs on 4/21, as did my wife. PCP sent prescriptions to a Rite Aid near us and we got them no charge.
They do leave a horrible taste in your mouth that stays with you, and some folks get diarrhea. I had to stop taking Primidone because of interaction and that has caused a problem, though I finish my last dose tomorrow.

Glad you are feeling better. Is the recommendation to get the viral drug even if you are double boosted? As in your case. Or just a matter of choice?

I thought the purpose of those boosters are to give a pretty good chance staying out of the hospital or worse.

easysurfer; said:
Glad you are feeling better. Is the recommendation to get the viral drug even if you are double boosted? As in your case. Or just a matter of choice?

I thought the purpose of those boosters are to give a pretty good chance staying out of the hospital or worse.

Thanks! The purpose of the boosters is to reduce the effects of the virus and hopefully keep you out of the hospital. But it still can have a strong punch. Paxlovid helps those at higher risk for progression of the disease based on their overall health. I have asthma and arteriosclerosis, which is why my PCP was adamant I take Paxlovid.

Thanks! The purpose of the boosters is to reduce the effects of the virus and hopefully keep you out of the hospital. But it still can have a strong punch. Paxlovid helps those at higher risk for progression of the disease based on their overall health. I have asthma and arteriosclerosis, which is why my PCP was adamant I take Paxlovid.

Good deal. Sounds like you and your PCP are on top of things.

This is great.
I heard on the radio a few days ago, how someone went to their doctor, tested (+) , and the doc said no use writing a prescription for the pills as they are rare and hard to find :facepalm:

I can easily imagine my doc having the same answer. :(

It used to be true they were hard to find, this site makes it a nice one stop shop and no need to see a doc for a simple test.

This is great.
I heard on the radio a few days ago, how someone went to their doctor, tested (+) , and the doc said no use writing a prescription for the pills as they are rare and hard to find :facepalm:

I can easily imagine my doc having the same answer. :(

It used to be true they were hard to find, this site makes it a nice one stop shop and no need to see a doc for a simple test.

This is a doctor who just isn’t up to speed. Many, many pharmacies have Paxlovid and there is a website where you can search your area and confirm which ones have it. Super easy to find.

My urgent care isn’t part of test to treat but we do prescribe it regularly.

You need at least 10 days to gain booster effectiveness. Maybe a bit longer.

Looks like we just have one location a ways away the does test to treat, but numerous pharmacies able to fill prescriptions.

My understanding is, you can go to a test to treat location, get tested there and then get the pill prescribed there, or even bring your own home test result to the test to treat location.

https://aspr.hhs.gov/TestToTreat/Pages/process.aspx

Not sure if just walk in or need to call advance.

Yeah, there's one walking distance from me (not that I'd actually walk:angel:) I was there yesterday and saw nothing about the service. I'll ask next time I stop in.

"if eligible"

both my spouse and myself were told we were not after testing positive at our local pharmacies.

"if eligible"

both my spouse and myself were told we were not after testing positive at our local pharmacies.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I can see showing up for treatment and they ask all the usual stuff (fever, sniffles, cough, sneeze, etc.)? If you say "yes" will they let you in for treatment? Sounds like a Catch 22 but I really don't know so YMMV.

"if eligible"

Yes, both monoclonal antibody therapy and Paxlovid have specific indications. If you don’t have any of those indications, you don’t qualify for treatment.

The indications are things that put you at higher risk of severe disease: heart or lung disease, diabetes, advanced age, immune compromised, etc.

If you don’t qualify, that’s a good thing. It means you’re otherwise healthy and low risk.

"if eligible"

Most people I know that got it went through a concierge doctor that wrote the prescription. If you walk in with the prescription, you will be treated.

Just went through this, finishing my last dose of Paxolvid last night. I take an immune compromising drug so my doc recommended the treatment for me when I tested positive last week. I was feeling pretty bad when I finally got a positive on the a PCR test (at home tests were not picking it up) and they called it in right away for me. It took until about the 4th dose (2 doses a day) before I felt some relief. And it was a lot of relief. I first felt symptoms of Covid on Monday and worked through the day. Tuesday morning felt like a truck hit me. Home test was negative on Tuesday, so I drug myself to Walgreens drive through for a PCR test. Wednesday felt even worse, received my PCR results as positive. Called doc, got script called in, picked up from pharmacy and started first does late Wednesday morning. Thursday, not as bad, but not better. Friday morning I woke up and felt well enough to work that day (I work from home). Yesterday (Sunday) I was able to go outside for a walk with my hubby and dog. I got winded after about 10 minutes and had to sit down, but I did manage to walk about 1/2 a mile in total. I still get dizzy when I get up too quickly and feel winded easily. Cough is still with me, but not as bad. I had 3 doses of vaccine and a booster (was due for another booster end of May) and still needed the Paxolvid to get me through. I am very thankful for the treatment and it is readily available where I live including on the military base I live on with a very tiny clinic/pharmacy. I was surprised they had it because they have to special order meds for our family all the time that are standard drugs.

I also experienced mild side effects from the meds. The biggest being the horrible taste it leaves in your mouth for 10 hours between doses. I lost about 1 1/2 pounds last week while on it because I didn't want to eat anything, everything tasted terrible in my mouth. All I wanted to do was chew mint gum. But I would take that instead of hospitalization any day.

DW got a headache Wednesday night and woke up with a runny nose. Assumed she caught a cold. I insisted on a rapid Covid test at noon as she got progressively sicker. It only took a minute to indicate positive.

I remembered this thread and went to the website. The local Kroger "Little Clinic" was listed as having Paxlovid in stock. I took the first available appointment for the following morning.

Doc said no need for a PCR test but did verify the positive on another rapid test. He explained the risks of Paxlovid....not FDA approved, limited information on risks, some annoying side effects. And the potential benefits of shorter duration and severity of Covid symptoms and substantially reduced chance of hospitalization or death.

DW has a risk factor and weak immune system so despite being vaxed and boosted, the choice was easy. The test and Paxlovid Rx were free. There will probably be a charge for the visit.

After the 3rd dose, she is still quite Ill with just about all the typical Covid symptoms although there is some overlap with Paxlovid side effects so who knows. Doc said to expect three bad days before things improve.

I'm awaiting my PCR test results and have no symptoms. Other than the clinic visit, we are both isolating per CDC guidance.

This infection and illness was very unexpected since our county currently has low reported case numbers. And DW had fairly high spike protein antibody levels per the Serimmune study report. Well maybe now she has 'superimmunity'.

If you want the best available Covid-19 antiviral, it is now available for most people and quite easy to get.

I’m reading about a lot of Paxlovid rebound cases recently.

It was only tested on unvaccinated folks.

Vaccinated folks tend to experience symptoms early, and many feel good after paxlovid 5 day treatment, test negative, but after a couple more days, start experiencing symptoms again and test positive again.

One theory is that vaccinated folks are taking paxlovid earlier than unvaccinated, and maybe starting too early.

Others that a longer treatment period is needed. Safety testing would be needed for that.

I wish they had also tested it on vaccinated people to begin with.

Here's my anecdotal experience: I received my second booster on 4/9 and tested positive on 4/20. I didn't initially seek treatment( I'm not sure why -stupid I guess). Five days later I called my PCP and they scheduled me for monoclonal antibody infusion, based on age and comorbidity. I was not eligible for Paxlovid as I was already on day 5 of symptoms. I didn't feel any beneficial affects from the infusion treatment until day 8. For me the symptoms were a monstrous head cold, mild coughing and extreme fatigue, but no real heavy chest symptoms. DH came down with the illness 4 days after I did, also had the infusion and felt better right away. He had had his second booster a few days earlier than I and got Covid a few days after I, so we are thinking his case was milder due to more time elapsing after the booster before he became infected. A friend, who likely caught Covid from me before I became symptomatic, did the Paxlovid regimen and felt better immediately.

The rebound phenomenon was discussed on the TWIV clinical update podcast on Saturday. There was a study involving daily testing. All were vaccinated. The rebound correlated with positive antigen and increased PCR quantity detected by PCR (a lower number of cycles to detection). None of the patients were seriously I’ll or required hospitalization.

I’m reading about a lot of Paxlovid rebound cases recently.

It was only tested on unvaccinated folks.

Vaccinated folks tend to experience symptoms early, and many feel good after paxlovid 5 day treatment, test negative, but after a couple more days, start experiencing symptoms again and test positive again.

One theory is that vaccinated folks are taking paxlovid earlier than unvaccinated, and maybe starting too early.

Others that a longer treatment period is needed. Safety testing would be needed for that.

I wish they had also tested it on vaccinated people to begin with.

This is currently happening to me. I finished my 5 day course of Paxlovid on day 7 and I tested negative that morning. Felt pretty good that day, symptoms were gone, just a little remaining congestion to clear out. But I was still getting winded when I walked up stairs and could not walk the dog further than a mile, had to stop about 5 times to take a break (I am 46 and a runner). I figured, it was just residual effects and would get better in the coming days. Early morning of day 11, I woke up with a raging sore throat again and horribly congested. I took a home test and came back positive in the first 2 minutes. Felt like a bad head cold again on day 11-14 (today) and I am still testing positive on day 14. Luckily, I work from home and don't have any need to leave the house (other than walking my dog for exercise). I called my doc and she said to stay isolated if I can until my worst symptoms go away (sore throat and sneezing/congestion). She said it is unlikely I can pass it on at this point since I am day 14, but if the home test is still reading positive and I am having symptoms it is possible I could pass it along to someone else if indoors without a mask. She told me they tell you to isolate from day 0 - day 5 and then mask from day 6-10 because these are your most contagious times. It is possible to pass it to someone else past 10 days, but not as likely and it would only be maybe 1 person. Day 0- day 5 your likely to pass it to 5 people, day 6-10 your likely to pass it on to 2-3 people. It is all about numbers and risk so they tell people they can go without a mask after 10 days because you are less likely to pass it to multiple people, not that you are 100% not going to pass it on. But reducing the number of people you can infect is the main goal at this stage of the pandemic/epidemic to keep from overwhelming the health care system.

My kids are back in school (they had it as well, but not as bad) and wearing masks until they get to day 14. They don't mind and most of the kids in their grade still wear masks daily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom