The Best "Simple Things" in Retirement?

1. Realizing that all of those small things that I knew I wanted to do (Usually minor projects, organizing, just cleaning up an area, etc.) that I always thought "Yeah, Like when you are going to have time to do that?"... are now not only do-able, but many are perfect little distractions for my ADD side.

And you can spend as much time on the minor project as you want, to bring it to neurotic perfection. So many times I have stopped at OK, which was all I had time for when working, then realized that I could keep going until truly satisfied with it.

Grocery shopping at 9AM on weekday. Working on a project and following where that project leads. Being outside in the middle of the day. Complete absence of fatigue.

Sunday afternoons and no anxiety, wearing jeans every day unless I have a wedding or funeral. Smiling all the time when I realize I truly can do whatever I want whenever I want

I retired 3.5 years ago at 42. I still have to remind myself to slow down sometimes. I try as much as possible to enjoy the simple things everyday. I feel very blessed and fortunate to have retired at such a young age. I'm considering part-time work at the moment, but it must be something I enjoy. Until then I'll just enjoy no alarm clock, coffee, music, walking, riding my bike, my dogs, and time with family and friends. I feel the greatest gift we have as Retirees is "TIME."

We had a blizzard yesterday. This morning the driveway had a foot of snow and 2 1/2 feet of snowplow snow at the end. What relief to have no time limit for getting it shoveled and no worry about road conditions because I don't have to go anywhere.

I remember so many occasions at work when it would start snowing and I'd be worried about driving home and whether or not I'd have to shovel to get in to the driveway when I got there.

Until then I'll just enjoy no alarm clock, coffee, music, walking, riding my bike, my dogs, and time with family and friends. I feel the greatest gift we have as Retirees is "TIME."

+1
And welcome to the forum.

On the few occasions I have to make an an appointment. I always ask for 11 am. Not sure why, but seems like a good time since I've been retired. Just another simple thing I enjoy now that Time doesn't seem such a big deal.

We had a blizzard yesterday. This morning the driveway had a foot of snow and 2 1/2 feet of snowplow snow at the end. What relief to have no time limit for getting it shoveled and no worry about road conditions because I don't have to go anywhere.

I remember so many occasions at work when it would start snowing and I'd be worried about driving home and whether or not I'd have to shovel to get in to the driveway when I got there.

This is also one of my simple pleasures...I used to have to shovel my long driveway and deck (access to back door) after w*rk and before band members started showing up hauling gear for rehearsal. I've always liked shoveling, but not in a restricted time frame trying to get it done 10 minutes before people showed up.

Back
Top Bottom