The Gas Vehicle Thread

My inexpensive 2018 Subaru Forester fits almost everything I need to haul around. For things that don't fit inside (like a sheet of plywood), I have a removable roof rack.

One of my nephews has a giant crew cab pickup, which I believe was over $70k. He has a 10 year car note. As far as I can tell, he has never towed anything with that truck, hauled anything in the bed or driven it off the pavement. He works packing boxes in a warehouse. And he's stressed out because he doesn't have any money.

Exactly, my friend.

I also have a roof rack but don't expect to use it too much. I used it one time so far to transport something bulky about 500 yards. Still useful.

This cheap (per market) used vehicle is (so far) one of the best purchases I've ever made. I have put 5k on it and used it for all kinds of purposes I was never able to do before.

^^ Glad non trucks work for you 2. But I need a truck for those things that other vehicles just can't haul. Generator and a shooting blind come to mind. That said, I can see going truckless in the future.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 2.43.37 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 2.43.37 PM.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 2.35.52 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 2.35.52 PM.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 23
Oh yeah, there's no doubt that bulky tall stuff needs a pickup.

Just rent it.

Or in my case, hire it out. After back surgery, any kind of stuff that is tall and heavy that can only fit in an open pickup is "contraindicated" for me.

It seems to me that there are multiple things happening with inventories which have carrying costs for dealers, something they have not had to deal with during the pandemic.

Supply is catching up with demand.
EV is about to experience a technology quantum in the next few years due to solid state battery technology and refreshing of 4-5-YO technology.
Supply of gravy train of people with discretionary money to pay $60K for a $35K EV based on novelty and scarcity is dwindling
Charging infrastructure is woefully behind charging demand, especially on interstates and rural highways
Realization that EV is not ready for long distances due to long charging times, charging station waits, etc.
Fear that current EV will severely depreciate in the next few years due to more choices, updated battery technology and increased public charging infrastructure.

All of this will eventually normalize and this does not spell the death of EV, it is just growing pains for early adopters.

Looks like car dealers are starting to struggle after sticking pricing up our butts during the pandemic. I just got this text from my friendly Hyundai dealer:

I texted him back and asked him what "an old aged unit" is. (no response so far):LOL:

Perhaps Hybrids are the answer-- a bit of both worlds!

We have a 2016 Camry Hybrid and a 2015 Avalon.
Have to say, the Avalon is more comfy, but I do like the gas savings of the hybrid.
We don't drive nearly the miles we used too, though.

I am thinking that way. For our next car I do not want to be totally dependent on electricity availability - when things are normal it is great, but when all h*ll breaks loose one could be in trouble, just my view - but the much better mileage of a hybrid is very appealing. I am looking at an hybrid mid-size SUV, but it seems everyone else is these days especially for new models :).

When I had mine (full-sized Z71 Chevy 4x4) I would get occasional calls and have to turn them down. For a very long time I had minimal insurance, only liability as I didn't care if I wrecked it or totaled it as it was an extra vehicle and probably got driven less than 1K miles per year but when I needed it, I needed it. People would call to borrow it and I let them know it was not insured for non-owner driving and they could borrow it if they paid me to upgrade my insurance to a conventional plan. They countered that their policy covers that but I told them that's not good enough. That was usually enough to scare them away.
One of my favorite bumper stickers read: YES. This is my truck. NO. I won't help you move!

Oh yeah, there's no doubt that bulky tall stuff needs a pickup.

Just rent it.

Or in my case, hire it out. After back surgery, any kind of stuff that is tall and heavy that can only fit in an open pickup is "contraindicated" for me.

Yep back surgery and heavy lifting don't mix. Have someone deliver.

As far as renting - Home Depot and Menards rent trucks for $19.95. Hard to beat that. And I just rented a trailer cheap from Home Depot. So there are options to owning a truck.

Yep back surgery and heavy lifting don't mix. Have someone deliver.

As far as renting - Home Depot and Menards rent trucks for $19.95. Hard to beat that. And I just rented a trailer cheap from Home Depot. So there are options to owning a truck.
I have used the Home Depot rental and it was surprisingly easy

With each passing year, I get closer to buying a new car. It will probably be straight ICE. I currently have a trusty 2004 Honda Accord (bought new) that still drives great and gets me where I need to go. I keep up with maintenance on it and have not had any major system fail. But as my body knows all too well, things get old and wear out eventually.
I've done the back of the envelope calculations several times and a hybrid would never pay off for me. Also, with current tech and infrastructure, and EV would not work out for me. I live in a very walkable area, which is also becoming more bike friendly, not to mention that the rail transit station is a short walk away. I drive VERY little at home. The vast majority of the miles I put on my car are interstate when I go on trips. Mainly I go to help out my 90 YO dad. That is a 400 mile trip and I do not want to have to stop and charge. One tank of gas in my Honda does it easily. Since hybrids get worse mileage at highway speeds than in the city, I really would not realize much in savings over an efficient ICE car. I would never reach the price differential break even point. Let them come out with a competitively priced EV with a guaranteed 450 - 500 mile highway range and I might be tempted.

^^ Glad non trucks work for you 2. But I need a truck for those things that other vehicles just can't haul. Generator and a shooting blind come to mind. That said, I can see going truckless in the future.
UHaul has pick-ups and cargo vans. Or hit up Home Depot and rent their truck for $19 for 75 minutes. Options to owning a truck full time (just ask me LOL).

I thought this article might help a few people. I will try it out on my interior windows this weekend.

https://trib.al/wIjbSRN

Condensation and dust inside of your car can create a cloudy film that builds up on the inside of your windows. Other factors can make the inside of your windows dirty too, including smoke, fingerprints and even something called off-gassing, i.e. the breakdown of plastic and vinyl components inside the car (it’s what gives a vehicle that new car smell.)

It’s important to keep the inside of your windows clean because it helps them defrost faster, and it’s just safer. A thick, filmy layer on the inside of your window can cause problems with the glare, making it harder to see the road. Discover what are these little black dots on your car’s windshield.

Fortunately, it’s easy to clean the inside of your windows. Just follow these easy steps.

Last edited:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/youtu...laid-to-build-track-ripping-cyber-kart-exocar

Some fascinating numbers.
My 2020 Cadillac CT6 Prem Luxe with 3.6 NA engine weighs abot 4160lb. Very comfortable luxury IMHO. Cost about $63000 +tax etc. used two years ago. It by no means a rapidly acceelerating car. Somwhere around 5.4 -5.7 secs. 0-60.

Some speed enthusiast bought a wrecked Model S Plaid Tesla for $60000.-
Car weighed 4745 lb complete. He decided to lighten the weight for maximising speed.
After chopping pretty much everything unnecessary, keeping the windshiled. Adding a roll cage he shaved 700 lb. Making car useful for track only. Final weight 4040 lb.
The fastest speed attained by the car originally was 2.31 sec. 0-60 MPH. After stripping max speed was 2.35 sec. . Apparently traction control was the problem, tire performace limit.
Then removing the cage and some structural elemnts got car to 3850 lb.

Granted, compared to my comfy riding air conditioned, safety laden highway only car, the stripped Tesla is a speed demon.

My surprise is the weight of this totally useless for public road use, stripped to an open, battery powered speed demon, the sled's loading of the road surface.

Last edited:
UHaul has pick-ups and cargo vans. Or hit up Home Depot and rent their truck for $19 for 75 minutes. Options to owning a truck full time (just ask me LOL).

DW and I built our lakehouse by having everything delivered. Using three suppliers and playing the game our total delivery expenses were under $100. Everything from concrete to kitchen cabinets. The rest we hauled in the trunk of my work sedan Deville. There went my dreams of ever owning a pickup.

And of course in Thailand gasoline engined buffalo racing is a sport. AKA iron Buffalo.
Safety gear? Don't need no stinking safety gear. This fun time.

Speaking of pick-up trucks, I had an F-150 long bed a long time ago in my 20s, when I bought my 1st home. Hauled a lot of gardening material with it. Bought compost and manure by the cubic yard. I sold it a long time ago.

In recent years, I used and still have a 4'x8' trailer that I pulled with my SUVs. The problem with the trailer is it does not work well with sand, gravel, and manure. :)

The trailer works great for 4'x8' plywood, although it was more convenient to take the plywood sheets home in my Plymouth Voyager minivan, which of course is history. Yes, with the rear seats removed, the 4'x8' sheets fit in there with the tail gate fully closed. I don't know if they make minivans like that anymore.

Last edited:
The trailer works great for 4'x8' plywood, although it was more convenient to take the plywood sheets home in my Plymouth Voyager minivan, which of course is history. Yes, with the rear seats removed, the 4'x8' sheets fit in there with the tail gate fully closed. I don't know if they make minivans like that anymore.

We had one of those. I was impressed that (I assume) someone actually purposely made the van wide enough and long enough for a piece of plywood.

^^^ Yes. I like to think it's intentional rather than accidental.

I initially bought the 1985 Voyager to haul my firstborn child. My 1st purchased new vehicle ever. Made a lot of family road trips with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom