The holidays

I enjoy the holidays, perhaps because we do a good job of avoiding the consumerism and family stuff. It's so nice and cozy here with rain outside, a warm fire inside and (later) a small 3-4 foot Christmas tree. We don't do any shopping at regular stores. We've already made orange-pineapple marmalade and apple butter for presents, and ordered books through PaperBackSwap.com.

We'll spend Thanksgiving with some friends and their family. Last year it was fun to watch their family "discussions" from the outside.

We'll spend a max of 1.2 days with family for Christmas, and avoid the consumer-oriented branch.

I like Thanksgiving because it's a non-religious holiday. We have it here at lunchtime because my Dad doesn't drive after dark anymore. Hubby cooks for Thanksgiving and we keep it fairly simple, your basic T-day dishes.

Yep, I just grit my teeth and hang on until New Years. And like Nords, I don't go into stores between Thanksgiving and Christmas, except for groceries. I think I was the first Internet-only shopper out of both of our families.

The worst is that my "soft-rock" radio station goes to all Christmas music after Thanksgiving. So I email them to say that I know a lot of people love that you do this but I'll be listening elsewhere until January.

Thanksgiving is non religious? Who is everybody giving thanks to? :)
Nevertheless, I'm with you for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom