The Stars are Aligning

Congratulations Steve! I'm so proud your Megacorp is going to help you with the health insurance; just be sure to get everything in writing.

I hear that clock tickin' down now....

btw...retirement is fun....;)

bbbam,
Thanks for the good thoughts.
The amounts ($) involved have always been in our employee documents/handbooks. Where they are changing and helping me is allowing me to go to a individual health plan. Which is a real money saver for me at this point.
Thanks Again,
Steve

PS. Thanks to all that have offered Congrats, in case I missed anyone !!!

Steve, it also may be possible to take the lower deductible plan while your employer chips in and then if the employer doesn't help in the future, raise the deductible.

Thanks for all the Congrats and well wishes from everyone !!!

I will be talking with the insurance companies about the ability to move into higher deductible plans as needed throughout the years. I need to see how difficult that might be. Will start working on that monday with lots of questions ready.
I can't help but wonder what all the legislation being worked on now might bring my way (good and bad). There's a lot up in the air to be jumping out of the work place at this time. Got to just hope for the best though.
Thanks Again and keep any thoughts you all have coming my way,
Steve

PS. I've been reading and looking into all the links and info you guys sent.

Thanks for all the Congrats and well wishes from everyone !!!

I will be talking with the insurance companies about the ability to move into higher deductible plans as needed throughout the years. I need to see how difficult that might be. Will start working on that monday with lots of questions ready.
I can't help but wonder what all the legislation being worked on now might bring my way (good and bad). There's a lot up in the air to be jumping out of the work place at this time. Got to just hope for the best though.
Thanks Again and keep any thoughts you all have coming my way,
Steve

PS. I've been reading and looking into all the links and info you guys sent.

I went the high deductible route, 10k deductible. So far so good. I still get doctor and drug copay's so everyday stuff is covered like anyone else. But I will get tapped pretty good if I ever have any hospital stays. Rolling the dice a little but I am willing to self insure for the first 10k or so. But in your case with your company stepping up and paying for a good chunk of the premium, I would probably start with a 1-2k deductible. I don't think raising the ded will be a problem at all.

Good luck with your insurance application and retirement. Anything in particular you are planning to do next year?

But in your case with your company stepping up and paying for a good chunk of the premium, I would probably start with a 1-2k deductible. I don't think raising the ded will be a problem at all.

Good luck with your insurance application and retirement. Anything in particular you are planning to do next year?

I'm going to try to get the (insurance) application going this week. We'll see what happens? Also been busy trying to take advantage of my current coverage, getting eyes checked, families teeth taken care of, etc.

As for plans this coming year? No big plans at this time. Right now I just want to get things settled (insurance/benefits) then I'll start to move into bigger plans. I do have several hobbies, a mini farm to care for and a honey do list about 2 miles long :(. I think I've put off every project I could for the last 3 years. My line has been "will that wait until retirement". Looks like its all about to catch up with me :whistle:.
Anyway, I don't think I'll be borred for a very long time.
Thanks for asking,
Steve

Thought I would check in and up-date a little.
Things are still lining up pretty good.
The insurance company sent us cards so I guess that means we made it through the pre-existing condition hoops. I wasn't so sure how high that hurdle might be. They accepted my first payment also. I went ahead and paid for December even though I'm still under a different plan. The insurance rep said I could lock in 2009 price for one year if I did this. I realize they will probably make up for that break next year though.:whistle:

I'm kind of a nervous cat, reading about people having to go back to work and all that.
Here I am jumping out at the same time.
Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take. Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve

Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take.

EXCELLENT!! You are essentially done. :dance::clap: :dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:Congratulations!

Stevewc said:
Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quit as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve

I'd suggest taking personal items home every day, so you don't forget anything at the last minute.

I'm trying to keep it as quit as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve

Freudian slip?

EXCELLENT!! You are essentially done. :dance::clap: :dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:Congratulations!

I'd suggest taking personal items home every day, so you don't forget anything at the last minute.

I've been taking things home and making notes so I don't forget anything for a week or so now. I'm right with you on this. I'll be lucky if I don't forget something though. I mean after 30 years of stashing stuff, who knows? I do have a friend or 2 that would probably help me out if I think of something later on.
Thanks so much for your congrats,
Steve

Freudian slip?

How about quit quietly.
Steve

PS. If spell check doesn't catch it, I'm in big trouble.
You Know, I think I'll just start telling people English is my second or third language. My grammar and spelling isn't good enough for it to be my first:LOL:.
That's the Ticket !!!

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I missed this thread until this morning.
Enjoy taking vacation time until it runs out. Early retirement is a great way to start a new year.

Another interesting (to me) note !!!
Not sure if I mentioned this before ?
I did not plan this part:
The last day I work is exactly to the date 30 years.
I started on 12/17/1979
Last day at work 12/17/2009
Just a neat happenstance,
Steve

PS. spell check seems to think I got happenstance right. :LOL:
Who would have thunk it?

Folks, I must admit this retirement thing can be an emotional roller coaster.
One day (in my mind) I'm all excited. Doing all the things I dream of - taking my time and all that.
The next day or night, fear will creep in and say: Are you nuts giving up your good job?
I still think I'll be OK but it will take some adjusting,
Steve

Big Change for me.
Do you think it bothers men more than the ladies?
Since we were and are taught to be the big tough bread winners and all that junk?
Don't jump on me now ladies, I'm just wondering out loud? I know everybody works these days. But I always took it serious, trying to take care of my family. This may have been discussed on the board before?

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I missed this thread until this morning.
Enjoy taking vacation time until it runs out. Early retirement is a great way to start a new year.

Thanks KB

Good thing none of my co-workers know about the coolest forums on the Internet !!! I Hope :biggrin:

Too late! I'm in the cubicle next door. By the way, can I have your cool desk organizer?

Just kidding. :D Congrats and best wishes :greetings10:

Big Change for me.
Since we were and are taught to be the big tough bread winners and all that junk?
Don't jump on me now ladies, I'm just wondering out loud? I know everybody works these days. But I always took it serious, trying to take care of my family. This may have been discussed on the board before?

I think you're probably right - - I suppose that often men are indoctrinated at a pretty early age concerning their responsibilities towards their families. I don't feel a single BIT of guilt or nostalgia for my working life. I will sing it from the rooftops - - I AM RETIRED (so take that!)! :2funny:

On the other hand, the concept of running out of money isn't very appealing to anybody. As Frank puts it, "Does it matter you drown in 6 feet of water or 10 feet of water?" LBYM, a sizeable portfolio, and the thought that "After all, I have always got by somehow and I will always find a way" help me during timid moments.

Today, ONE MONTH after retiring, I finally got the first indication from govt that anybody knows I still exist - - got a letter from my payroll center saying that my packet had been sent to OPM via a Register of Separations, and included my Register number and date. :D So, I am no longer lost in Retirement Limbo (when I was neither working, nor in existence as far as OPM's retirement people are concerned). I tried not to think about the "what ifs" of getting lost in a huge bureaucracy during the past month because if I did, it was a little unnerving.

Last edited:
One day (in my mind) I'm all excited. Doing all the things I dream of - taking my time and all that.
The next day or night, fear will creep in and say: Are you nuts giving up your good job?
Steve
Yeah...it's a big adjustment. I assume you have gone over your figures numerous times and are well prepared. You're not falling off the face of the earth darlin'...if you feel a bit queasy on down the line, you can get a part-time j*b.
Big Change for me.
Perhaps...at least that's the way I feel about it regarding my generation.

Remember...even though you're retired, you're still taking care of your family. :)

Steve

Big Change for me.

No, I think it bothers both sexes equally . The days of women thinking they were going to be provided for are long gone . I always took my job seriously especially when I was a single Mom . I had that same queasiness when I finally pulled the plug but so far everything has turned out fine and I am approaching the two year mark . It should have been the three year mark but I chickened out and worked one day a week for a year . I was concerned about the lack of checks but I was more concerned about the lack of social contact which I've taken care of .

(snip)Anyway, I signed the papers and have given a date. 1/02/2010 but 12/17/2009 should be my last day to actually work, the rest will be vacation days I need to take. Funny thing, I haven't even told my supervisor or anyone (not even work friends) except H.R. department so far. They will all be shocked when I break the news. I'm trying to keep it as quiet as possible until next week which will be my last one if all goes well. Probably will tell them on Monday if it doesn't leak out before then.
Steve

Hi Steve,
congratulations on your retirement! One of my co-....errr...former co-w*rkers just did more or less the same thing you are. He'd been getting stressed out and dissatisfied with his job, went through all his figures over Thanksgiving weekend, decided he could make it on what he would have coming in, and announced his retirement when he came back. I don't think he had even told HR in advance. He just decided he'd had enough and was outta here. I think he also has vacation to use up, but I'm pretty sure the day after he told people he was retiring was his last day here at the office.

Steve

Trust yourself and your judgement - it's done you well so far.

Big Change for me.
This was much more of an issue for DW (and some of her female-type friends) than me. Among family and friends some are unable to see past stereotypes and others through envy-tinted glasses. Not much can be done about that, and you certainly don't want to live your life by another's standards - especially one that isn't FI and can't RE. :)

Steve,

Congratulations on the retirement and being approved for insurance. Your situation brings back memories about you planned and have it prepared without letting your co-w*rkers yet.

When I did the same, looking back it was funny because I first told my boss about my decison on a private conference call. I told him, that I'll break the news to my immediate team. Then I could hear over the cubicles teamates whispering that my boss had called and told them my news. The following day, I set up a meeting to tell the team...before the meeting started, my partner comes up to me and says "Hey, I heard you decided to retire?" -- the good old grapevine. :blush:

Congrats again!

I did the opposite I told all my co -workers but they thought I was kidding since I retired the year before and returned to working one day a week . I finally said "Okay I am taking a break . It may be six months or it may be forever . " They still thought I'd come back but they were wrong .

NEWS FLASH

Steve Turns in his badge, radio and Keys etc.
Walks out to the parking lot with big smile on his face.
Will ride out the rest of the year on vacation.
Free @ Last
The Holidays and visiting with family and friends will really be special this year.
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom