The story of most of our lives, just a matter of when we realize…

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Better stated than I could, and only evident in hindsight. If I’d read this when I was in my 20’s thru 40’s I would have thought the authors were losers, and I wouldn’t have listened. How wrong I was.
When we were young and impatient, we were in a hurry to live. We wanted more new people, emotions, impressions, things. We did not have time, we did not sleep, we raced through life like a high-speed train, landscapes flashing outside the window, barely visible, often blurred.

And here we are now, matured enough to start appreciating things. We have tried so many things that we clearly understand what is worth spending time on, and what isn't. We enjoy good food, cool people, smart movies, slow conversations. We buy fewer things, quantity gives way to quality. We no longer save on ourselves, on good food, on sleep.

Good quote, quite a bit of truth to it.

Maybe that general idea is what inspired the phrase "youth is wasted on the young."

It's not, of course, but the wisdom which comes with experience may promote the savoring of life's experiences.

I don't recognize myself in the description of youth.

As a young woman, I felt that the need to compete for a living, a mate, etc. forced me into a faster pace than I was comfortable with. As an example, all my life I've felt external pressure to get up earlier than I'd like - to get somewhere, to meet someone else's schedule, to avoid traffic or the day's heat, and many other reasons.

I also didn't recognize myself as that young person. I was always on a mission to complete and go after goals of mine and worked hard to get money and save. I was very different that way as a young person from my friends. They would go to concerts and do a lot of things and I never cared to go with or do. It never did hurt my reputation among the teenagers I grew up.

In fact, with my very conservative nonsocial ways and always business, I was Senior Homecoming King and was President of my class as a junior. Was a double sport standout and had achieved honors for my play.

I was on a mission in life and wasn't in that party group or did I need to be accepted in a group, I was just me didn't care to be front row or accepted by no one or group of kids.

I do understand that as a young person you see the road that never ends, and fun is all there is and can lose sight on the future.

Last edited:
Yeah, if I could go back, I would be far more protective of my hearing to avoid tinnitus and hearing loss.

When we were young and impatient, we were in a hurry to live. We wanted more new people, emotions, impressions, things. We did not have time, we did not sleep, we raced through life like a high-speed train, landscapes flashing outside the window, barely visible, often blurred.

I was not that young person. I left home at 17 just out of high school in 1962 to get away from an alcoholic household, only to find myself going off to a war.

I had $20 in my pocket when I was discharged and somehow made it to college and life got good after that. Thanks for nothing, Dad.

What's the source of the quote?

It doesn't fit me exactly either but I could write different versions that do fit. The whole topic seems to reflect the fact that we change as we age. Now that was a brilliant insight on my part, wasn't it? ;)

I lost my father when he was 56. He looked forward to fishing trips in his "golden years" as he called them. I was a college senior, and it had a profound effect on me throughout my working years. This quote has always stayed with me.

"Do not regret growing older.
It's a privilege denied to many"

What's the source of the quote?
Two middle aged (women) entrepreneurs, I don't remember the name of their enterprise and didn't save the website for their product or I'd share it.

I was not that young person. I left home at 17 just out of high school in 1962 to get away from an alcoholic household, only to find myself going off to a war.

I had $20 in my pocket when I was discharged and somehow made it to college and life got good after that. Thanks for nothing, Dad.

I think I see a book in your future. I'll buy it.

That doesn’t resonate with me either. I married young and had 3 kids and then went to college and then a career. I was always goal oriented but did them in succession. It was always very important to me to get enough sleep so that I would feel good and be present for my family.

I lost my father when he was 56. He looked forward to fishing trips in his "golden years" as he called them. I was a college senior, and it had a profound effect on me throughout my working years. This quote has always stayed with me.

"Do not regret growing older.
It's a privilege denied to many"

I don't mind getting old.

I only mind being old.

I don't mind being as old as I am, but I did think it would take longer to get here.

I don't mind being as old as I am, but I did think it would take longer to get here.

LOL, very true. My wife keeps getting mad at me when I saw we ARE old (usually followed by "Speak for yourself").
I figure that I can call myself a retiree/ senior citizen, so that's OLD.

At what age did others here realize or consider you were old?! LOL

LOL, very true. My wife keeps getting mad at me when I saw we ARE old (usually followed by "Speak for yourself").
I figure that I can call myself a retiree/ senior citizen, so that's OLD.

At what age did others here realize or consider you were old?! LOL

At 79, I feel "aged", but not "old". I'm still very active and most people who meet me think I am much younger than I say I am. There is no grass growing under my feet!:LOL:

Also sad that the "good food" people enjoy catches up and then causes early demise.

"Good" food and alkohol. I'm shocked daily by how few realize "it is the food and drink".

Growing old is like frying bacon nekkid. You know it's going to hurt, you just don't know where.

Back
Top Bottom