Thermal Effect of Food - is this measure legit?

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thanks to whomever it was in this forum who recommended Cronometer (that name does not mean what they meant it to mean, I think!) It's been interesting to track so much in the diet.

I have a question for the nutrition gurus here - the site includes an estimate for "thermal effect of food," apparently a guess at how many calories are expended in digestion. I get that this varies wildly from person to person and food to food - so should I be looking at it at all? Once I included it in daily calculations, my calorie expenditure increase by a little over 100 kcal.

I never heard of this measurement before. I assume it's legitmate, with the understanding that it's just a guess - but that some amount of calories ARE expended in digestion, correct?

Yes, the body consumes energy (calories) in the act of carrying out its business. For example digestion.

Yes, the body consumes energy (calories) in the act of carrying out its business. For example digestion.

Kidneys use a lot of energy. I think I've read that it's around 7% of the body's average energy needs. I've often wondered if drinking more water would be a way to burn more calories. I've heard that there are negative-calorie foods (such as celery.) YMMV

Likely yes, to a point. How much water can a person drink, in practice?

If burning calories is interesting, is caloric balance also interesting? If it is, reduction of caloric intake is a more effective action to take.

Back
Top Bottom