This is sad, wanna work for 7 dollars an hour?

One women got $620 in Social Security yet lives in a 4 bedroom house she should be able to rent out rooms to make $12K of property taxes, she already took a reverse mortgage so doesn't have a paid off house to sell to move. She should have saved something to retire getting old much like Christmas is something she should have seen coming. Old age and poverty seems like something she planned for. She might need to sell her house after 47 years but it seems she would need to.
We all pay school taxes, I never had kids but benefit from being in a country with educated people.

Just what is a "good" school system anyway?
Any one that benefits from a high property tax rate? None of these tax $'s are wasted so more efficient spending is not part of the equation.

When homes go into foreclosure, does the property tax meter keep running? I think many local gov'ts are realistically anticipating lower tax collections and/or growth due to mortgage mess, so the rest of us should pay more to keep their budgets balanced.

Last edited:
  • The SAT and ACT scores
  • The percentage of high school students taking college entrance exams and going to good colleges
  • The results of the standardized test scores
  • Amount spent by the school district per student on academics
  • Student to teacher ratio, since smaller classrooms mean more individual attention to the pupils
  • Rates of graduation
  • Percentage of students taking or passing advanced placement tests

One women got $620 in Social Security yet lives in a 4 bedroom house she should be able to rent out rooms to make $12K of property taxes, she already took a reverse mortgage so doesn't have a paid off house to sell to move. She should have saved something to retire getting old much like Christmas is something she should have seen coming. Old age and poverty seems like something she planned for. She might need to sell her house after 47 years but it seems she would need to.
We all pay school taxes, I never had kids but benefit from being in a country with educated people.

This is a hijacked thread already so I won't hold back. I consider reverse mortgages a horrible idea. You have an older person (or persons) that can't afford their home and has no other assets besides their home. They mortgage that asset so there goes their only way of paying for long term care or anything else. It delays the day of reconing but makes sure that when the person finally exhausts their remaining asset they really have nothing left.

It seems that most of the elderly people I meet are obsessed with staying "in their home" and not going to "an old folks home." The reverse mortgage just feeds this obsession. I think its just another elder rip-off.

Reverse mortgages should come with a cyanide tablet to take when you've depleted the value left in your home.

No EVERYONE does not have to pay the high tax rates that contain a major portion of school taxes. Here is what one state is doing to help Office of Real Property Services - Home Page. I guess it is a start. Additionally, IMHO, to say "none of the money is wasted" is really naive just google the subject "tax abuse". Again IMHO more tax money, like more political power, just breeds a very large potential for abuse and waste.

Just what is a "good" school system anyway?

In the context of this thread - simple. Any school system that results in higher house prices.

The complex answer would easily fill up many threads.

-ERD50

I think the real motivation is buried at the bottom of the article:

"If we got seniors working for the schools, there might be a more intergenerational feeling there," he said. "It might be easier to pass the school budgets."

Translation: "Those pesky empty-nesters keep voting down our school bonds and tax hikes. If we make them dependent on the schools for income, they'll have to vote with us."

As for people "not wanting to pay for a community", you have to remember that we are paying more, inflation adjusted and per pupil, for education than ever and we aren't getting any better results. As soon as more money translates into better performance, I might support more money for schools. Until then it's a bottomless pit. Most developed nations spend far less per pupil than the U.S. does. The problem isn't "not enough money." It may be a problem of where and how the money is spent, but there is more than enough money being sucked into the system.

This is a hijacked thread already so I won't hold back. I consider reverse mortgages a horrible idea.

I disagree. A reverse mortgage is an option. It might be a good option for some people. I don't want options taken away from me because maybe some people won't choose well.

Just like the sub-prime mess, I think education is the key. If anyone is going to do the reverse mortgage, it should be made clear just what the risks are.

It seems that most of the elderly people I meet are obsessed with staying "in their home" and not going to "an old folks home." The reverse mortgage just feeds this obsession. I think its just another elder rip-off.

I would say the 'rip-off' is getting obsessed with the idea that you should live in a home that is going to deplete your resources. That is the root of the problem. LBYM - plain and simple. Again - education. If you don't have the money to cover that lifestyle, downsize NOW, before it gets depleted.

Don't ask for a bail-out (asking ME to pay YOUR property taxes) because you are living beyond your means.

-ERD50

As for people "not wanting to pay for a community", you have to remember that we are paying more, inflation adjusted and per pupil, for education than ever and we aren't getting any better results. As soon as more money translates into better performance, I might support more money for schools. Until then it's a bottomless pit. Most developed nations spend far less per pupil than the U.S. does. The problem isn't "not enough money." It may be a problem of where and how the money is spent, but there is more than enough money being sucked into the system.

I remember that, inflation adjusted, those homes are worth more than what they were 50 years ago.
The beauty of America is, if you don't want to support more money for your school system, then you can move. Move to a place that has low property/ school taxes. Just be aware you may not have the same kind of community. ;)

Just as when marrying person, you get the in laws, prenuptial pets, etc. So when you buy a house, you are entering into a contract not just with the seller, but with your neighborhood and community.

Also, I wouldn't expect costs for education to necessarily stay stagnant, even considering inflation for a place like Westchester County. Places like this county pride themselves on # of National Merit finalists and Westinghouse scholars. A set of textbooks, some chalkboards, and random beakers and bunsen burners won't be sufficient to compete, as it may have been in 1950.

Also, I wouldn't expect costs for education to necessarily stay stagnant, even considering inflation for a place like Westchester County. Places like this county pride themselves on # of National Merit finalists and Westinghouse scholars. A set of textbooks, some chalkboards, and random beakers and bunsen burners won't be sufficient to compete, as it may have been in 1950.
I suspect if you plotted the amount spent per student in these "achieving" districts and compared them to the amount spent in non-achieving districts, you wouldn't find the "money equals achievement" argument to be as compelling. For every wealthy district that achieves, there is a Washington D.C. which spends something like $12,000 per student and has horrible results compared with North Dakota or Iowa spending half that or less.

Here in SC, our schools are bad, but our taxes are low!
So we've got that going for us! My tax bill dropped from $1100 to $850.
:)
Glad you are still loving it here, Wallygator!

Our school district has 23 National Merit finalists (out of a class of 800 students). Both ACT and SAT scores are above average. The cost of each student is less than $4,000 per year. Our property tax rate is about 1.25% of property value.

Our school district has 23 National Merit finalists (out of a class of 800 students). Both ACT and SAT scores are above average. The cost of each student is less than $4,000 per year. Our property tax rate is about 1.25% of property value.

Which refutes the theory put forth by various teacher's unions that "spending more" is the only way to save the kids from educational destruction..........

Which refutes the theory put forth by various teacher's unions that "spending more" is the only way to save the kids from educational destruction..........

In my local school district, repeated bond votes were needed to pass a building fund. In it were new schools based on population growth but it also had lots of extras. It finally passed in one of its reincarnations so now every high school will have their own natatorium. Heaven forbid the swimming and diving teams might have to share. Of course, the water polo teams will probably start saying they each need their own pool.

Each school has about 50 to 75 kids in water sports. I'm sure it won't raise the literacy rate by 0.1% but it will look good on the superintendent's resume. My tax dollars at work! I didn't vote for crappy bonds when my kids were in school and my wife worked for the superintendent.

Each school has about 50 to 75 kids in water sports. I'm sure it won't raise the literacy rate by 0.1% but it will look good on the superintendent's resume. My tax dollars at work! I didn't vote for crappy bonds when my kids were in school and my wife worked for the superintendent.

If you graduate from school and go on to flip burgers, then who really cares about your professional skills, right?

But even the most educated professional knows that it is a whole lot easier to get the job done when everyone works well as a team.
Team sports are one of the best ways to teach future functioning members of our society how to contribute, play, and work well together.
And if it keeps some kids off the streets and out of crime/drugs, all the more better.

I live in a very high tax state and our schools stink. But the teachers want more money. So lets not equate high property tax with quality education. I see college graduates that must admit they are not smarter than a fifth grader. I think it's wrong to fund schools with property tax to begin with. It's also a discrace to highly tax retired people that worked hard all there life. Once you retire you should get some tax breaks. Just look at all the freeloaders on welfare and low income housing. They spend 45 years of loafing, breed like cockroaches, and then go into a nursing home for free.

I disagree. A reverse mortgage is an option. It might be a good option for some people. I don't want options taken away from me because maybe some people won't choose well.

Just like the sub-prime mess, I think education is the key. If anyone is going to do the reverse mortgage, it should be made clear just what the risks are.

I would say the 'rip-off' is getting obsessed with the idea that you should live in a home that is going to deplete your resources. That is the root of the problem. LBYM - plain and simple. Again - education. If you don't have the money to cover that lifestyle, downsize NOW, before it gets depleted.

Don't ask for a bail-out (asking ME to pay YOUR property taxes) because you are living beyond your means.

-ERD50
Kudos to your comments! :) thumbsup :)

I know this is going to cause a big explosion of words. Why not eliminate school taxes and just charge tuition? You got the kids, you pay, or maybe you could ask the Grandparents or the neighbors without kids to help out voluntarily.

I know this is going to cause a big explosion of words. Why not eliminate school taxes and just charge tuition? You got the kids, you pay, or maybe you could ask the Grandparents or the neighbors without kids to help out voluntarily.

Because home schooling would explode, and the teacher's unions would sue to make home schooling illegal.............;)

I do remember one thing, when I paid tuition, the professors didn't care if you flunked or not, but in the K-12 system, everyone got "pushed along".........interesting...........

In my local school district, repeated bond votes were needed to pass a building fund. In it were new schools based on population growth but it also had lots of extras. It finally passed in one of its reincarnations so now every high school will have their own natatorium. Heaven forbid the swimming and diving teams might have to share. Of course, the water polo teams will probably start saying they each need their own pool.

The cost of our students is $9100 per child, and the local school district says we now need a $16.4 million elementary school to help with overcrowding.

A local citizens group has proposed taking the 5th grades out of the elementary schools, building a second story on the existing middle school, and moving the 5th graders there, but it has fallen on deaf ears. The cost was less than $5 million.

Funny, no one has brought up the cost to the taxpayers of having to hire 30 new teachers, admin staff, etc, for the new elementary school. Guess they "forgot" that............

No explosion at all R Wood. As a matter of fact there is quite a bit of logic to your thinking. IMHO the only way ANY product ever gets better, or cheaper for that matter, is through competition. Once you remove competition, like the public school system, there is no incentive to do any better. I do see some changes that are trying to occur within state govt's that are trying to bring the competition back, like tying funding to a schools performance. Do better, and you get more funding. There are some who believe that if you dump 1000's of computers into innner city schools, that "magically" the students there will become higher performing. The truth is, is that if a school has a serious decipline problem, and lacks good teachers, then money will not make a difference at all. And things like dicipline and work ethic cannot be bought.... they must be earned.

Back
Top Bottom