Time vs. Money

I've mentioned this before, but my recollection of Doc Ball surfing in Surfing for Life, was him feebly standing up on a very big board on a small wave and surfing in to shore in a straight line. I don't want to minimize it, I just want to make the point that you don't have fun surfing at 80 the way you have fun surfing at 20.

I've been real big into skiing, windsurfing, and surfing at times in my life, and I can say that even at 52 I can't enjoy them the way I used to. Hitting the moguls hard for six hours in a row -- not going to happen any more.

Unclemick,

I hope everything turns out alright for your SO. Sounds like they caught everything in time. Best of luck.

LL

TromboneAl said:
I've mentioned this before, but my recollection of Doc Ball surfing in Surfing for Life, was him feebly standing up on a very big board on a small wave and surfing in to shore in a straight line.  I don't want to minimize it, I just want to make the point that you don't have fun surfing at 80 the way you have fun surfing at 20.

I've been real big into skiing, windsurfing, and surfing at times in my life, and I can say that even at 52 I can't enjoy them the way I used to.   Hitting the moguls hard for six hours in a row -- not going to happen any more.
True, as long as it's still fun. Although the image I have of Doc Ball is watching him ride a skateboard for a couple blocks and then hop off it as though he was just in his 40s or 50s.

Considering the alternative of quitting whatever sport I enjoy, I don't mind trading giving up raw speed & reflexes for the challenge of using my experience to produce a smooth ride. And the signs of age let me get away with grabbing an extra wave or two that would have fueled some competitive discussions if I was in my 20s. I also was much more self-conscious about my apparent skill (or lack of it) when I was younger and now I don't care as long as I'M having a good time.

Age is at least as much perception as reality, and I'm deep into denial. Perhaps it's a family trait. I visited my grandfather one day when he was 95 or so. He'd usually be up & dressed and sitting in his chair in a semi-private room, but the other occupant was always snoring in his PJs and I never saw him in anything resembling consciousness. My grandfather used to tell me "When I feel sorry for myself I just think of that guy-- he has a lot of problems because he's really old!"

The staff told me that the "really old guy" was 73.

Unclemick, I truely hope everything is fine and that they caught things early.

Cj

Uncle Mick,
If you ever feel the need for a second opinion on SO health issue, you have an option, of catching a cheap southwest airlines flight into st louis, leave almost hourly to and from, riding the metrolink from the airport directly to Barnes Jewish Hospital. It is a very good hospital with lots of success stories in all areas of cancer and other diseases. Consistently is considered one of the top 10 hospitals in the world.
Helios

Even as a young man I realized that time is before money. I became a school teacher. I last worked during a summer month when I was 18 years old. I retired at age 53 as soon as the age plus years of service qualified me for full benefits.

I will pray for your SO UncleMick. I lost my wife in March and well know the value of time. Having presense of mind to appreciate the importance of time helps one extract as much enjoyment and grace as possible, but nothing can slow it down. I continue to observe the slipping away of time as we all do but it seems to accelerate with age.

vic said:
Getting out of the rat race asap is definitely great. I just said bye bye to megacorp at age 36. I will continue to work part time for myself.

Do you have anywhere near enough money to retire, or are you counting on letting your current investments grow while you live on most/all your PT income? I ask because I occasionally consider going PT even though I don't have near enough to retire on. I'm 35. I'm hoping to go PT for a year trial as part of my move back to Texas. Still waiting on word for whether or not I get the job. Well, actually I plan on working freelance a lot outside of the regular PT job, but I only have ideas and not specific plans or forecasts.

I really like the idea of getting more day-to-day time now, and I'd love to be able to take a couple of weeks or months off at my whim or between job assignments, but I also like making and spending money having the (false?) security of a regular FT job.

UncleMick, sounds like the cancer was caught early. Besides the surgery, does she have to have chemo? Losing your home, moving to a new part of the country, and going through surgery all in a short time has got to be tough. Best wishes to the SO.

Ol' Rancher, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

These - off the spreadsheet - minor events occur from time to time.

Too bad the LA legislature outlawed the S**t Happens bumber sticker - have seen a few Stuff Happens and Life is Short-Pray Hard though.

Other than the normal worry which is unavoidible - attempting the the stiff upper lip and planning to ER on.

No word on chemo yet - hoping they got it all. But only time will tell.

UncleMick,

I am sorry for all of the tough times that you are going through. I hope they got it all also.

Ol' Rancher,

I am so very sorry to hear about your wife.

I will keep both of you in my prayers.

Dreamer

Ol_Rancher, my sincere condolence on your loss. I hope the future holds happier times for you.

Unclemick, you've had more than your share of tough times this year. My best wishes for the health of your SO.

REW

Yes, I will add my best wishes as well. We are all put to the test
in one way or another. It seldom comes at the time or in the way
we expect. Anyway, we are all in this together in the end.
At least that is the way I look at it.

JG

Unclemick,

You and your SO are in my prayers. God Bless you both!

Momtwo

Ditto Ol' Rancher

Sorry to hear of your wife's passing also.

Back
Top Bottom