Tiny Bathrooms

I was on an L-1011 sometime back in the dark ages, about 1985 or so. What I distinctly remember was in the back there was this "lobby" with a ring of 5 bathrooms around it. Roomy and nice. No lines up the isles. Vapors away from the seating.

I don't remember that configuration, but the L-1011 was one of my favorite planes back in the day.

I've done well over 2 hundred flights between Chicago and Phoenix and I don't think I've ever been in the bathroom on any of these flights. But 4 hours is about my limit. I went a couple times on Aer Lingus to Ireland and it really wasn't too bad.

I suspect even a submariner might have objected to the loo on a train I took in England. Being on Uncle Sam's dime, I had to ride in third class. There was only one toilet, which did not flush. It was...brimming. After one look, I somehow managed to hold off till the destination..

This is the head on a submarine. Once you become accustomed to it, no other toilet will ever distress you.

This is the head on a submarine. ... <snip>

I remember those days.

The newer submarines have more normal toilets, and special pumps to empty the sanitary tanks. No high pressure air needed, though it is available as a backup.

Those of you who get most exercised about this topic should take a ride in an Air Force cargo plane sometime. :LOL:

Restroom Facilities on a USAF C-130
A rare sight: The raised cargo ramp of a C-130 that doesn't have a loadmaster's hammock stretched over it.

Note to passengers: If you are throwing up into the honey bucket, into a barf bag, or anywhere else and you spill anything in that airplane, you will be cleaning it up. It is an old tradition and well enforced. Admiral, general, sergeant, or private, you'll be shown where the sponges and buckets are. No one is going to direct the loadmaster to clean up after you, please do not ask.

On our trip down to La Quinta Ca from Oregon we tried to avoid the smoke and went through Klamath Falls to Carson City and Pahrump NV. before cutting across the desert to La Quinta. Because I'm a sucker for old houses we did a little three hour detour over to Fallon outside Reno so I could look at an unmolested old place. Sure, it was a tad rough.. but looking is easy. I think the bathroom may have been an afterthought. The door swing did just clear the toilet edge (I've seen places with door relief cuts for the toilet), but it only opened about 60 degrees before running into the front of the wall-hung sink. Opposite front corner of said sink extended well over the basin of the cast iron tub. I don't think there was a 12"square to step into to close the door after opening it. This is the most flattering picture the RE agent could muster:

https://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/for_sale/71181891_zpid/1_pnd/51.686179,-96.833497,27.000408,-138.845215_rect/4_zm/1_rs/1_fr/

Image 8.

My picture from outside is less attractive:

I look with awe and wonder at the accomplishments of small people from earlier times.

Attachments

• IMG_3620[1].jpg
    IMG_3620[1].jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
We are both skinny people, but if y'all keep up this kind of talk, I may just forgo air travel and stick to my 25' class C RV.

My motorhome is nothing luxurious, but the bathroom layout is like shown in the photo below (borrowed from the Web). :smitten:

1FDXE45S14HA84883-18c.jpg

How come ADA doesn't have a say-so on toilets for handicapped on air planes? Because of the toilets, my dad can't fly. Oh, I suppose they'll sell him a ticket and board him, but when he needs to use the toilet, then what? He has 'accidents' if he can't get to a toilet when he needs to. Imagine a 2 or 3 hour flight and the old geezer next to you has crapped his drawers?

The WC in a bar in France in the early eighties: one four inch round hole in the floor. I did it! The best part were the foot treads on either side.

The WC in a bar in France in the early eighties: one four inch round hole in the floor. I did it! The best part were the foot treads on either side.

I was just in a bar in southern France about 2 months ago, same set up.

How come ADA doesn't have a say-so on toilets for handicapped on air planes? Because of the toilets, my dad can't fly. Oh, I suppose they'll sell him a ticket and board him, but when he needs to use the toilet, then what? He has 'accidents' if he can't get to a toilet when he needs to. Imagine a 2 or 3 hour flight and the old geezer next to you has crapped his drawers?

That is a really good question.

I had thought about the 550 lbs fat folks, like the one that sat beside me flying to Amsterdam, they probably have to back in as I find turning around a tight fit.
It would be totally impossible if you are in a wheelchair.

So I got curious and looked it up;
U.S. law only requires airlines to provide an accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles. Wide-body airplanes include the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, Airbus A380, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787. Airlines are required to provide onboard aisle chairs on aircraft with an accessible lavatory. While some airlines have installed accessible lavatories on narrow-body airplanes including the Airbus A220, Airbus A320, Airbus A321 and Boeing 757, they are not required to do so by law. Travelers should not count on an accessible lavatory being available on a single aisle aircraft.

I don't remember that configuration, but the L-1011 was one of my favorite planes back in the day.
Here's a floor plan, exactly as I remember. Lots of room to wait and do your thing.

Attachments

• l1011.JPG
    l1011.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 28
I remember that layout at the back of the Tri-Star. The 777 has two of four bathrooms at the back (in some configurations) that were quite spacious as well.

Shameful imo and frankly a heath and sanitation issue. Just a few days ago I was on a flight with one of these sitting in the front of the plane close the bathroom.

One of the passengers became sick - not sure if it was flu or food poisoning or something else but spewage ensued. This person could not fit in the bathroom with the door closed. In order to face the toilet and bend over (usual position when retching) the door had to be open. We all watched and listened and as awful as I thought that was, it was surely much worse for the sick person.

Perhaps we need some regulation here to ensure basic services if airlines aren't willing to self regulate?
I'm not big on regs, but you have a good point I think.

So I got curious and looked it up;
U. S. law only requires airlines to provide an accessible toilet on wide-body airplanes with dual aisles. Wide-body airplanes include the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350, Airbus A380, Boeing 747, Boeing 767, Boeing 777 and Boeing 787. Airlines are required to provide onboard aisle chairs on aircraft with an accessible lavatory. While some airlines have installed accessible lavatories on narrow-body airplanes including the Airbus A220, Airbus A320, Airbus A321 and Boeing 757, they are not required to do so by law. Travelers should not count on an accessible lavatory being available on a single aisle aircraft.

Wow... this is astonishing. I had never thought about it until seeing this thread, but I wonder how wheelchair-bound folks travel between distant cities in the U.S. Either they a) forego flying altogether, or b) fly only on routes where they know the plane will have an accessible toilet, or c) hold it in on flights where the plane doesn't have a bathroom they can use. I know from personal experience that option c) isn't always possible, despite one's best intentions. It's kind of amazing that there isn't more of an outcry about this.

There were rumors a few years ago that a well-known deep discount airline was considering removing some lavatories (as planes sometimes have more lav capacity than is required by law).
Removing a lav allows 2-3 more seat$ and saves a lot of weight, which saves fuel. To make this work, they (according to the rumor) would decrease demand for the WC by making them pay toilets, so people would be more likely to use the bathroom at the airport before boarding. It could be an urban legend, but believable in the context of other outrages they perpetrate on passengers.

Or just have the flight attendants walk down the aisle with one of those trays.

"Corks? Rubber bands?"

There were rumors a few years ago that a well-known deep discount airline was considering removing some lavatories (as planes sometimes have more lav capacity than is required by law).
Removing a lav allows 2-3 more seat$ and saves a lot of weight, which saves fuel. To make this work, they (according to the rumor) would decrease demand for the WC by making them pay toilets, so people would be more likely to use the bathroom at the airport before boarding. It could be an urban legend, but believable in the context of other outrages they perpetrate on passengers.
Was this the same airline that looked at eliminating seats on short flights so everyone could just stand?

Or just have the flight attendants walk down the aisle with one of those trays.

"Corks? Rubber bands?"

I think they'd abandon the idea when they counted the number of "lemonade bottles" left in the seat back pockets by passengers. At best. "Charge me to use the toilet? Here's what I think of that."

FWIW - the bathrooms in First Class are not any better than economy. At least not in the lower 48 states. At least not when I have flown which is about 5 or 6 times a year.

Was this the same airline that looked at eliminating seats on short flights so everyone could just stand?
I know for sure that was a legit preliminary study done by an Asian short-haul carrier. The plan was to have folks strap in to an upright stretcher/plank/surface. Lots more people fit in, no underseat stowage so people could be charged for more checked bags, faster turn times (people are already standing, no waiting for them to fetch bags from all the nooks and crannies). I think crash safety issues would have been a problem.

I have always wanted to fly on the a plane with the Japanese business hotel 'seating' format for long haul flights.. A honeycomb of horizontal tubes. Maybe not as quick to evacuate in runway emergencies but might be safer in turbulence and crashes and definitely less blood clots

I'd love to see a crash simulation.

It would be a challenge to design things right.
But with an aft-facing setup, a slight incline, good torso restraints, and maybe some energy absorbing material under foot it could actually reduce serious injuries compared to the present cabins. Still, if no one is seriously injured but 50% of the passengers have sprained/broken ankles or leg fractures, then evacuation becomes a problem. With a fire or in the water--a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom