Tipping- Every time or an occasional lump sum?

If I was to eat at a restaurant that added some kind of tip, kitchen fee, etc. to the price of the bill that wasn't clearly posted then I would only pay the price of the food I had ordered, tip the waiter/waitress in cash, and leave. I would tell the manager my disappointment and not return. I don't like being "hoodwinked"
If it was posted I would not eat there.

Cheers!

A local hardware store started charging extra if you used your credit card. No sign, no nothing. My purchase was too small for me to make it an issue, but I’ve never been back.

A local hardware store started charging extra if you used your credit card. No sign, no nothing. My purchase was too small for me to make it an issue, but I’ve never been back.

Had dinner last night at a Cape Cod restaurant. In the small print were the words (or something like it) "menu prices are our cash price...we will add 4% to the bill for credit card payments"

Oh my, I would think a discount for paying cash would be much better optics.

Had dinner last night at a Cape Cod restaurant. In the small print were the words (or something like it) "menu prices are our cash price...we will add 4% to the bill for credit card payments"
I’ve seen this a few times. I deduct it from the tip.

Great, punish the server to send a message to the restaurant...that'll work....

That’s what I was thinking. I understand the frustration, but definitely taking it out on the wrong person.

Always tip, if we are served (not a buffet). I have been told we should tip on take out orders-but we are not doing that (although we did a couple of times early in during Covid lock downs.).
We don't tip plumbers, auto repair people, the mail person (gift card at Xmas), cashiers at gas stations, lawn treatment people, pharmacy people, ice cream scoopers, the nice people at the library who help me find books, or my pastor. Guess "servers" hair stylists and dog groomers have better PR people.

I concur. I wouldn't change the tip but I would also let the manager know why I'm never coming back. Their contract with the credit card company is not my concern and they're not going to suck me into their disputes. I'll simply go elsewhere.

I would also let the manager know why I'm never coming back. Their contract with the credit card company is not my concern

This is the key IMHO. Letting a restaurant manager know what is driving away their patrons is not only helpful but actually much appreciated. They usually are mystified why business is falling off. But very few customers bother to do it.
I have a friend who owns a restaurant and he says that in the rare instances when someone complains to him and he can verify that it's legitimate, he will not only change a policy but reach out to actively thank the complainer in some way.

We do takeout from one Chinese restaurant, and they tell us how much the cost is if we pay using a debit card (cash price) vs a credit card. We always pay using our debit card asthey charge us less. Something about them having to pay a hefty fee for handling credit cards. In this situation, I have no issues with using our debit card as they tell us upfront.

Always tip, if we are served (not a buffet). I have been told we should tip on take out orders-but we are not doing that (although we did a couple of times early in during Covid lock downs.).
We don't tip plumbers, auto repair people, the mail person (gift card at Xmas), cashiers at gas stations, lawn treatment people, pharmacy people, ice cream scoopers, the nice people at the library who help me find books, or my pastor. Guess "servers" hair stylists and dog groomers have better PR people.

We were actually at a buffet last week while shopping. It was a good place for a quick lunch,but as we were getting ready to leave the "waiter" who had only brought us our drinks when we sat down. Ask me if we would like a drink to go,. I told him just bring us each a cup of ice. He stated that it was 50 cents for a cup & I just said nevermind. My DW ask me if we had of gotten our drink refill to go if we would have still had to pay that extra. I don't know but if that is now policy we won't go there again. It isn't the price it is the principle. there is a buffet in our hometown that we frequent that we just ask for a drink in a togo cup as we go thru the serving line. Then as we leave we can refill it our self on our way out and they don't have to wash a glass. There is no extra charge for the to go cup.

Personally, I find the charge for take-out water cups to be more reasonable than a 20% tip for somebody who doesn't do much more than take my money and point me to where the coffee service is located.

Back to the original purpose for this thread. The question is when doing nothing more than getting a cup of coffee two or three times a week with friends, is it better to tip at every visit, or maybe a large tip every two weeks? (Assuming the total amount of the tips is the same over time.)

Last edited:
Back to the original purpose for this thread. The question is when doing nothing more than getting a cup of coffee two or three times a week with friends, is it better to tip at every visit, or maybe a large tip every two weeks? (Assuming the total amount of the tips is the same over time.)

Ok if your going to tip do it when you get the service!

Back
Top Bottom