Tipping

I like giving unexpected good tips.

Had a friend come to our club and played backgammon for a couple hours last Friday morning. We had coffee and water with frequent refills. Bill was about $10. I signed for with a $5 tip, and left the waitstaff a $20 bill (my winnings, lol). The waitress came out to the parking lot, explaining they couldn't accept cash for the bill. I told her I had signed the bill, the $20 was for the great service. Her face just lit up.

I'll also feel like Santa when I get about 10 $50 bills, go out to the club and hand them out to the various employees who help out all year.

But someone who demands a big tip for lousy service can go pound sand.

At least you have the ability to "play" in the real estate market without a prescribed percent sales fee. There are flat fee agents that will get you into the MLS, and you can put whatever percentage you want for the buyer's agent. I had no problem selling when I offered 2% in a place where 3.5% was standard. The agents hated me, but I wasn't in it to make friends.

As to tipping on percentage, the only reason I start with a 15% calculation is because that's what the server expects +/-. I usually round up to the nearest dollar, but in a cheap place, I'll look at the total dollars and think it looks puny and add another buck. In an expensive place, I'll look at the 15% calculation and think "no way they need that much money from every table in here, all night long!"

[Mod Edit]
Tipping is a way that we get to make the determination of who is worthy of our hard earned money and who isn't. Even if it's just a few bucks, it's a choice we make and not one made upon us. It's one of the pleasures I find in dining out. When a waiter or waitress really takes the time to take care of me and ensure my dining out isn't just an extension of another meal I could have just as well had at home, but is an entertainment activity, much like pampering yourself at a resort spa as example, then I enjoy tipping generously. The price of the meal, for me anyways, has nothing to do with the amount I tip. It takes just as much work to serve in a mid priced establishment as it does in a higher priced one. Maybe more if the server really makes the place shine by being the saving grace and not the food quality or ambiance.
My thoughts anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
skipro33 said:
[Mod edit] Tipping is a way that we get to make the determination of who is worthy of our hard earned money and who isn't. Even if it's just a few bucks, it's a choice we make and not one made upon us. It's one of the pleasures I find in dining out. When a waiter or waitress really takes the time to take care of me and ensure my dining out isn't just an extension of another meal I could have just as well had at home, but is an entertainment activity, much like pampering yourself at a resort spa as example, then I enjoy tipping generously. The price of the meal, for me anyways, has nothing to do with the amount I tip. It takes just as much work to serve in a mid priced establishment as it does in a higher priced one. Maybe more if the server really makes the place shine by being the saving grace and not the food quality or ambiance.
My thoughts anyways.

Only it's not really true, as the tip you give the waiter has to be shared with the busboy and kitchen staff, and you don't get a choice in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only it's not really true, as the tip you give the waiter has to be shared with the busboy and kitchen staff, and you don't get a choice in that.
There are all sorts of arrangements including sharing with busboy and/or kitchen staff as you note, but that's not universal. And then there's tip pooling where all servers share with each others (that's objectionable IMHO), or some establishments that take a cut of tips from servers. Some states have laws regarding tipping, but not all. And at any given time, there are active lawsuits challenging various tipping policies and regs.

Listing real estate agents will have you believe that the "other" agents won't work as hard and won't show your house as much, unless they get paid the commission they think they deserve (which in our area is being aggressively pushed to 7%). This is, in my eyes, an extortionary threat to not do as good a job for you, and then blame it on the "other" agents. The real estate industry's attitude is to shrug shoulders and tell you to go somewhere else if you don't like it.
We are drifting off topic, but ...AMEN!

Food for thought...

Ever considered tipping airline staff? One could argue they do more for you than a waiter/waitress -- food, drinks and bring you pillows and blankets, also asking if you need anything to feel comfortable. (Worth Noting: the recent airline customer service situation has gone south... historically that hasn't always been the case).

Try giving a tip to staff on the plane and see how it goes. A friend postulated that the reason it's frowned upon is due to the early days of flying involving a majority married business travelers, flying solo from city to city - a majority of stewardesses being single and young. The idea of tipping was taboo inherently due to this this dynamic, so it was avoided. I am not sure if I buy that or not... because I'm not sure it's the customers who drive the tipping, or if it's the restaurants themselves that do it...

However I would think these two industries should align in whether they do or do not. I'm not sure why tipping is so ingrained into the restaurant industry yet not this one. Maybe I'm missing something more obvious. Do Airlines have a different incentive than restaurants in how they steer the management of payment of their staff? Or is it the customers that have driven the idea of tipping.

Food for thought...

Ever considered tipping airline staff? One could argue they do more for you than a waiter/waitress -- food, drinks and bring you pillows and blankets, also asking if you need anything to feel comfortable.

Especially if the guy sitting next to you is an asshat and they drag his butt off the airplane....:LOL:

Higher-end restaurants often have more servers.

Or, put another way, any given waiter or waitress has to earn their income from fewer customers. Hence the higher tips on the higher food prices are sometimes appropriate.

Wait staff also know which restaurants bring the best tips, and there's competition for those jobs. The jobs are the lower-price places tend to be entry-level. It shouldn't be a surprise that you're usually getting a "better" server at the "better" places. If that's worth something to you, it's not wrong to reflect that in the tip.

I have no problem with tipping 20-25% of the total bill for good service. Good servers work hard, depend on tips to pay their bills, and add to our enjoyment of a dining experience. I think 15% is ok for mediocre service, less if service is really awful. I've never been a fan of tipping only on the pre-tax amount. Seems a bit cheap to me. YMMV

Agree. Same approach. On occasion when the mood strikes us and we are at a place we frequent a lot, and get good service, we will give the server an extra $50-$100. It’s fun to see the look on their face and we really get a great reception next time we go there.

Or, put another way, any given waiter or waitress has to earn their income from fewer customers. Hence the higher tips on the higher food prices are sometimes appropriate.

Wait staff also know which restaurants bring the best tips, and there's competition for those jobs. The jobs are the lower-price places tend to be entry-level. It shouldn't be a surprise that you're usually getting a "better" server at the "better" places. If that's worth something to you, it's not wrong to reflect that in the tip.

The server to guest ratio is something that goes through my mind at the high-end places as well as the standard places.

If there are a lot of servers per guest, then, true, that might justify more dollars. It's just that I don't see that the ratio is any different between the high-end and standard places. I imagine they've got more personnel, like assistant chefs and maybe someone setting the table. Tipping them is kind of getting away from tipping for good service, though.

If the "better" place has a server that's really got fewer tables, then I'd expect them to be highly available, always ready to catch my eye and tend to me. And in that case, I'd have no problem with a higher tip. But in my experience, the servers at the "better" places are often less attentive than the regular places. They're smoother with the menu pitch and fluid with the specials, but when it comes to being around when you need them, no better than a regular place. Maybe I need to find better upscale places to eat!

From a conversation with our friends daughter who has been working restaurants for the past 3 or 4 years now. The expectation is 20% with 25% being considered good, and that is on total including tax!

I find the service in most restaurants is sub-par at best. The wait staff is often out of site not paying attention to needs of the diners no matter how slow or busy the restaurant is at the time.

Biggest pet peeve is I often find myself with an empty drink :D. Then just before the meal comes out they ask if I'd like another. Then often it arrives just as I'm finishing up my meal.:facepalm::mad:

For that service they want an extra $2.75 for my drink.

My biggest pet peeve is becoming MIA when I'm finished eating. When I'm done eating, I want to be asked if I need a box to take left overs home and provided my check. Then I want to cash out rather quickly. When I have to sit and wait for my check and/or wait to be cashed out, it is very upsetting.

As for tipping, I'm pretty much a figure out 20% and round up person. I tend to give that unless the service was really bad and then I only round down. I used to work in a restaurant and I try to keep in mind that the wait staff is typically financially tight. I also try to keep in mind that if I want to save money and have good food, I should have prepared something at home.

Food for thought...

Ever considered tipping airline staff? One could argue they do more for you than a waiter/waitress -- food, drinks and bring you pillows and blankets, also asking if you need anything to feel comfortable. (Worth Noting: the recent airline customer service situation has gone south... historically that hasn't always been the case).

Try giving a tip to staff on the plane and see how it goes. A friend postulated that the reason it's frowned upon is due to the early days of flying involving a majority married business travelers, flying solo from city to city - a majority of stewardesses being single and young. The idea of tipping was taboo inherently due to this this dynamic, so it was avoided. I am not sure if I buy that or not... because I'm not sure it's the customers who drive the tipping, or if it's the restaurants themselves that do it...

However I would think these two industries should align in whether they do or do not. I'm not sure why tipping is so ingrained into the restaurant industry yet not this one. Maybe I'm missing something more obvious. Do Airlines have a different incentive than restaurants in how they steer the management of payment of their staff? Or is it the customers that have driven the idea of tipping.

These are totally different professions and business models. To start, a flight attendant's primary role, by law I believe, is safety and regulatory compliance. Service is secondary. Further, flight attendants average $72K/year. https://www1.salary.com/Flight-Attendant-Salary.html

When DW and I eat out at a restaurant with a good wine list, we will normally buy a bottle that is new to us just to try it. I will tip 20% on the food and 10% on the wine. If service is excellent, then 20% on the entire bill. Always including tax.

We talk to the server and explain that it is 20% on the food and tax and 10% on the wine and tax. That way they do not feel hard done by. We will occasionally do 25% on the whole tab when the service is exceptional. Gotta blow that dough.

I typically double the tax to determine a tip and then round up. This brings the tip to a little over 15% (sometimes I add a few more dollars). I figure as the cost of the meal increases the tax increases proportionately and thereby the tip. So the servers are getting a "tip raise" as the menu prices increase over the years.

Cheers!

I often wonder if thats why these fast casual places are doing so well. Lots of order at the counter and either pick up or deliver to your table places, no tips, no hassle. I hate tipping so would far rather go to these type of places and I'm guessing I"m not alone given how busy they are. Good ones will have someone cleaning tables, delivering orders, asking if you need anything else, so not a waitress but as close to one as I need. Id say 80% of our dining is to those types of places, just checked out a Poke to go place where you pick 2 proteins and then whatever fixings to your poke bowl, it was actually pretty good for $10.

If the "better" place has a server that's really got fewer tables, then I'd expect them to be highly available, always ready to catch my eye and tend to me. And in that case, I'd have no problem with a higher tip. But in my experience, the servers at the "better" places are often less attentive than the regular places.

If that's the case then the higher tip certainly isn't earned. Also remember that any place can have a server or two call in sick. You should be able to tell if your server was asked to take on too many parties, in which case your less-than-ideal service may not be his/her fault.

My biggest pet peeve is becoming MIA when I'm finished eating.

OMG yes! I never understood why so many servers don't get this. Especially if it means they won't get another party (and another tip) while you're there waiting to check out.

My other pet peeve is the "rushed ordering" ruse. They ask if you're ready to order before you've even had time to open the menu. If not, their body language makes it clear that it's now YOUR fault that you won't see them again for a half-hour.

Hint: If you have to wait for a table, ask for a menu to read while you wait.

I typically double the tax to determine a tip and then round up.
Just remember that the meals tax is different in different states, and even some cities.

I often wonder if that's why these fast casual places are doing so well. Lots of order at the counter and either pick up or deliver to your table places, no tips, no hassle.

I think you're right. It's not the tip, it's the interminable waiting that often makes me not want to eat out. Maybe I'm impatient, but sitting at a table for over an hour in a room full of other tables just isn't high on my list. I'd happily pay the tip at a place that can get me in and out quickly.

I was very disappointed on our trip to Paris earlier this year. Not ONE rude French waiter!!!!

You have to ask for the check. If you don't the table is assumed to be yours for the night. It took a bit to get used to the slower pace. But i really enjoyed it. I think we tipped modestly.

We did have a taxi driver that took us on a short trip. I felt he was a bit put out because the fare was so small....until I handed him the equivalent of the fare in cash as a tip. Then happy, happy

I never understood tipping, but I am originally from Japan, so it kind of makes sense.
I'm sure people who work as waitresses there don't get paid that well, but all seem to be very polite and helpful, and some are willing to go above and beyond to make your dining experience enjoyable.

As for tipping in the US/Canada, I only tip about 15% unless the bills are small.

Yep, the difference isn’t usually substantial.

My biggest pet peeve is becoming MIA when I'm finished eating. When I'm done eating, I want to be asked if I need a box to take left overs home and provided my check. Then I want to cash out rather quickly. When I have to sit and wait for my check and/or wait to be cashed out, it is very upsetting.
There are cultural differences here. In Mexico and Europe it’s assumed the diners want to linger and socialize at the end of a meal. It’s considered extremely rude to present the bill right after clearing the dishes. You absolutely have to ask for the check - signaling across the room works well. Here on the border I have to remind visitors that the waitperson won’t bring the check without being asked.

Not enough posters in this thread ever had to depend on tips to pay their rent... In the US, the hourly rate for wait staff is $2.13 if they are making at least $30 per month in tips. It was $2.01 in 1988.

Most wait staff work a full 8 hour shift, starting at 3 or 4 on the afternoon to set tables, polish silverware, learn the day's menu, etc. Then they stay well after the close of the restaurant, organizing the "behind the scenes" areas, scrubbing out the coffee makers, all kinds of fun stuff.... so basically half of every shift they are working for $2 an hour. And the slow nights they had to work? Same thing. Sure, a nice busy saturday night when you are breaking your back from about 7pm to 9pm turning over tables and pulling in good tips, that's great, but don't judge what they are making based on what you see from your table.

Not enough posters in this thread ever had to depend on tips to pay their rent... In the US, the hourly rate for wait staff is $2.13 if they are making at least $30 per month in tips. It was $2.01 in 1988.
That’s a little misleading without a little more detail (below). There are very few states that don’t have higher guaranteed minimum wages for tipped restaurant employees.

While some servers don’t make a lot, some can do very well - both under the current system. And if you’re a talented server you’ll find your way to better wages or another career.

I was a waiter in college and did very well, though that was a million years ago.
Federal law
The American federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.[5] As of May 2017, the average hourly wage – including tips – for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82.

State law
Though the vast majority of employers are bound to the federal minimum wage, some states have chosen to increase the tipped minimum wage above the federal requirement. Seven states (and the territory of Guam) apply the same minimum wage to tipped and non-tipped employees. The other 42 states – including those without state minimum wage laws – have a lower minimum wage for tipped employees than for traditional employees, and require employers to make up for any wages that fall below the minimum wage.[7] Hawaii, which has the highest-paid waiters and waitresses in the country (mean wage: $17.84/hour)[8] has a minimum wage of $8.50 for tipped employees.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom