Tips for living in the house while it is for sale...?

I had dark purple trim, window frames, molding, and doors in the guest bedroom of my old house. I did it just because I could, because it went with the wallpaper (!!! I know... :LOL: ), and because I kind of liked it. Sort of like dark grape kool-aid. I used to joke that it would keep any guests from overstaying their welcome.

But, when I put the house on the market in 2010, I had it all painted over with neutral earth tones and no more wallpaper. The house still didn't sell back then due to the housing bust here at that time.

Honestly as a buyer I find dark or black paint to be pretty horrifying. It didn't seem to be a problem for my painter to paint over it, but as a buyer I just envision 17 coats not covering. :ROFLMAO:

but did you leave it dark purple when you went to sell the house? :D

Oops :)

Not a kids room, but we painted one of the spare bedrooms a dark purple when we used it as a pinball machine gameroom. Oh well.

In my case, no way!!! It was earthtone beige and off white. :D When I first read your post I thought it was responding to mine, and then noticed that Fermion had purple paint, too. :ROFLMAO:

We still have not listed the house, and I do plan on leaving it dark purple (I hate painting)

I figure if someone has a little Dexter or something it would be a perfect room for them.

Just to reassure, I love purple, and would have a house in many shades of purple and red if I thought I could get away with it. Maybe, when I get my permanent room on the cruise ship :LOL:

Anyway, we looked at a lot of townhouses when we made our ill-fated decision to buy a rental, and after a while, it was like a drill: The main house would have dirty beige walls, while the smallest of the 3 bedrooms would be entirely painted in dark green, blue, purple, or red. The one we finally bought, had dark-blue walls and ceiling in the kid's room. Took five coats of off-white paint to cover it up. It is not fun putting five coats of paint on a ceiling.

I thought it was just townhouse owners who did this, but no: we've looked at dozens of newer homes, in fairly high price ranges, in several states. There is usually at least one minor bedroom in garish colors that the owners didn't paint over. The stripes are the worst. You would have to use primer or something.

Amethyst

I had dark purple trim, window frames, molding, and doors in the guest bedroom of my old house. I did it just because I could, because it went with the wallpaper (!!! I know... :LOL: ), and because I kind of liked it. Sort of like dark grape kool-aid. I used to joke that it would keep any guests from overstaying their welcome.

But, when I put the house on the market in 2010, I had it all painted over with neutral earth tones and no more wallpaper. The house still didn't sell back then due to the housing bust here at that time.

Honestly as a buyer I find dark or black paint to be pretty horrifying. It didn't seem to be a problem for my painter to paint over it, but as a buyer I just envision 17 coats not covering. :ROFLMAO:

I'm glad your showings are going well.

I'm in the market for a house and I notice that stuff on shelves looks very cluttered and messy. Books are OK, but papers and stuff mixed in looks awful.

Just one or two large pics on a few walls look OK but lots of pics on walls and furniture gives a cluttered look, too. It's how I like to furnish my place but I find it makes a bad impression when searching for a place to buy. I want to see the bones of a place and other stuff is distracting.

Just one or two large pics on a few walls look OK but lots of pics on walls and furniture gives a cluttered look, too. It's how I like to furnish my place but I find it makes a bad impression when searching for a place to buy. I want to see the bones of a place and other stuff is distracting.

We have to cover the stains and holes in the drywall somehow. :D

it's funny what bothers us as potential buyers. I don't mind seeing people's papers, but I hate seeing used towels and hygiene items. Granted, you don't generally see these in higher-end homes but you do see them in townhouses for sale.

And for some reason, very large portraits of young children give me the absolute creeps. Something about kids' big heads and bare foreheads, blown up to larger-than-life size...:LOL:

I'm glad your showings are going well.

I'm in the market for a house and I notice that stuff on shelves looks very cluttered and messy. Books are OK, but papers and stuff mixed in looks awful.

And for some reason, very large portraits of young children give me the absolute creeps. Something about kids' big heads and bare foreheads, blown up to larger-than-life size...:LOL:
Like this?

Attachments

• keane-big-eyes-gallery-03.jpg
    keane-big-eyes-gallery-03.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5
Those look like they're coming to get you! :LOL: But I'm talking about actual photos of actual children (not mine, of course; those couldn't possibly take a bad picture!) blown up bigger-than-life.

Anyway, I guess the real estate agents are right when they tell us to "de-personalize" our houses. Much as we hate doing it.

Like this?

Back
Top Bottom