To All You Winos

Wine Suggestions

Go for Sterling or Beaulieu Vineyards. They have some 'starter' wines in the $10 range -- however if you go a little more up the line - around 20.. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. These both would rate well against wines for a multiple of the cost.

Ok, you are talking my love language... you have heard lots of great advice, all (most) yummy. :) Depending on your price point, here are a few...

$20-ish: Paso Ranches (Paso Robles region is a poor man's Napa), Iter, Borne of Fire, Pessimist, Tenshen, Conundrum Red, Mischievous Zin, Felino Cab, Molly Dooker Boxer

$40-$50-ish: Austin Hope, Prisoner, Molly Dooker Blue Eyed Boy...

Sorry, you got me excited. My mom said I can't play any more...:(

All that said, can anyone recommend an exceptional red wine for a special occasion? I lean towards Cabernets but it can be anything from any country. It just has to be red (not a big white wine drinker). It'll probably be consumed with an equally exceptional dinner of lamb, steak, or veal made by DW. Thanks.

My husband was at a work dinner many years ago and still raves about a bottle of Far Niente Cab the table shared. It runs about $150 so I've got it on our celebratory list for when *he* retires in about 5 more years. If I start saving now....:whistle:

Your going to hate me when I introduce you to this wine... you start to drink the first glass and at first your just not sure about it.. and then you just sip it a little bit at a time and you try to figure out whats in it.. what flavors are hitting your mouth... and by the time you get thru the first glass you want another one as the wine is taking on a whole new taste... and the taste is getting better and better... and then you get through the first bottle... and you know you shouldn't, but you just have to open another bottle just to see if it is going to scale any further....by now your just saying to yourself... wow, this is good... and you don't dare open the third bottle... it wont' scale any higher than it did on the second bottle and you know better than to open a third bottle no matter how much you want it... ( make sure when you partake you are sharing with someone else...and you might have more fun than you have had in a while)... and you now have a new favorite wine.... and the name ??
MICHAEL DAVID CABERNET FREAKSHOW

Pinot Noir ..... doesn't that translate to "peanut of the night "

the wine made from peanuts... :)

Your going to hate me when I introduce you to this wine... you start to drink the first glass and at first your just not sure about it.. and then you just sip it a little bit at a time and you try to figure out whats in it.. what flavors are hitting your mouth... and by the time you get thru the first glass you want another one as the wine is taking on a whole new taste... and the taste is getting better and better... and then you get through the first bottle... and you know you shouldn't, but you just have to open another bottle just to see if it is going to scale any further....by now your just saying to yourself... wow, this is good... and you don't dare open the third bottle... it wont' scale any higher than it did on the second bottle and you know better than to open a third bottle no matter how much you want it... ( make sure when you partake you are sharing with someone else...and you might have more fun than you have had in a while)... and you now have a new favorite wine.... and the name ??
MICHAEL DAVID CABERNET FREAKSHOW
The problem with wines like this is they are constructed. Google “mega purple”. Apothic Red is another one in this category. They are chemistry experiments. They aren’t wine as much as they are beverages created to a style using additives not required to be put on the label.

Since FIRE’d last year, decided to curb my wine budget down to a reasonable level. Have started trying the Kirkland wines at Costco and yes, for the price, I have yet to be disappointed.

Having said that, the OP is talking about a very special occasion, calling for a splurge.

In order of price and preference for such a momentous celebration, I offer the following for consideration:

1. Ridge Vineyards - Monte Bello. Outstanding but will cost you a couple of bills. Best if you could find a bottle with some years on it, but it’s really good young and gets better wiith age.

2. Revana- 2014 Cabernet. $100 and amazingly good drinking now.

3. Teeter Totter - 2016 Cabernet. $60 and very well made.

Another possibility would be going to the Bolgheri region of Italy for a bottle of Tenuta dell Ornellaia (a Bordeaux blend). Absolutely one of my favorite drinking experiences was a bottle of 2003 I had last year. Mind blowingly good.

Now, back to Costco!

Congrats!!!

I realized my above post may be harsh, but think of it this way. Grocery store or mass produced wines need to taste the same year after year. It’s like Coke, people expect a certain taste. So mass produced wines need to create that same flavor every year. To do that they add things to make it taste right. There are no labeling laws yet for wine, so.... things happen.
Real wines reflect a vintage, a sense of place known as terrior. The extraction of minerals from the soil into the fruit based on the weather that year. People expect variation and embrace it. That is why vintages matter.
Just my two cents on why you should buy quality wines.

The problem with wines like this is they are constructed. Google “mega purple”. Apothic Red is another one in this category. They are chemistry experiments. They aren’t wine as much as they are beverages created to a style using additives not required to be put on the label.

All I can say is read the reviews....

they must be doing something right...:greetings10:

All I can say is read the reviews....

they must be doing something right...:greetings10:

86 - 88 points on Cellartracker. Where the average is 90. Grocery store wine.

Here is one of the reviews:

: 86 Points
Mixed feelings here. WmMcCone54 suggested "If you like Cabernet Sauvignon that is way over extracted, extremely ripe, highly alcoholic, unbalanced and very confected, then this is your wine." I have to agree with him, though I do enjoy wines similar to this.

Last edited:
To me, "aerate" means open the bottle and pour two glasses about 20-25 minutes before dinner. It allows the wine to develop and the tannins to soften a little before drinking. I'm sure there are more complicated things we could be doing, but we don't.
You're out of your ever-loving mind if you think I'm going to wait 20 minutes, hell, 5 minutes, after I open a bottle to start sipping.

19 crimes. The wine’s ok and when you hold your smart phone up to the label the person pictured speaks and explains the crime he committed, banishing him (or her) to australia.

Rick

well... I am guessing the fine Bali Hai wine in a goat skin wine bag is out of the question...

brings back some great memories of walking down New Orleans Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras in my younger days squirting wine out of that goat skin wine bag into many a beautiful maidens mouth and singing hey hey... bali hai....

I can second that, but note of caution, Italian reds, particularly from Tuscany and Umbria hit my taste profile dead center.

Montalfalcos (from an adjacent region) are also superb. And if you like more fruit, Montepulchianos are relatively cheap.

Again, Italian reds, including the Barolos mentioned, are perfect for my taste--fruitiness but balanced by acid.

Everyone's taste profile is very different so I would suggest trying one or two at the lower end. Barolos are probably most comparable to Cabs.

I would suggest any good Brunello di Montalcino (fantastic Tuscan red). Here's a link to some of the best (from one point of view): https://www.cellartours.com/blog/italy/top-10-best-brunello-di-montalcinos

But I would also suggest that you look ahead and buy a Barolo that you can "cellar" for the next 10-15 years with an eye to drinking it on a major anniversary of your FIRE date! Barolo is a big, bold, tannic red from the Piemonte region of Italy. Somewhat like a Pinto Noir from Burgundy. It can be consumed now or put down for ageing longer.

I'm not a wine collector or even a particularly avid "connoisseur", but it's hard to go wrong with these. I love buying some bottles and putting a "to drink date/reason" sticker on the neck for future milestones (like anniversaries, birthdates, etc.) and then putting them away in my cantina (naturally cool storage room in the basement).

That said, I would also suggest a bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne as part of a pre-dinner aperitivo.

Congrats and Best Wishes for your new adventure!

-BB

We were fortunate enough to try the nth degree label from Wente Vineyards. Amazing wines.

Since FIRE’d last year, decided to curb my wine budget down to a reasonable level. Have started trying the Kirkland wines at Costco and yes, for the price, I have yet to be disappointed..............

I have good news. Once you get a few years into FIRE and realize your budget will be fine, you start to make adjustments. We are in the "increase the wine budget" phase. Love the Ridge Zins! :)

19 crimes. The wine’s ok and when you hold your smart phone up to the label the person pictured speaks and explains the crime he committed, banishing him (or her) to australia.

Rick

That is awesome. Trader Joes too. Will be going by today

I have good news. Once you get a few years into FIRE and realize your budget will be fine, you start to make adjustments. We are in the "increase the wine budget" phase. Love the Ridge Zins! :)

+1

I am getting a few more bottles in the $20 range. There is as big increase in quality between $6-$10 a bottle and $15-$25, more than the price increase. After $25, the law of diminishing returns comes out in force.

Next goal is to just say "To Heck with it. I'm flying business class."

Don't want to hi-jack, so I can start another thread if needed, but I'd REALLY like to find a great Nebbiolo at Total Wine and More... suggestions?

Also a big fan of Kirkland brand wines at Costco. My favorite is Old Vine Zinfandel $9.99 a bottle and only available December to March-ish. Kirkland also came out with a Malbec that is lovely also around $10. Congrats on being FIREd!

Back
Top Bottom