Tomorrow (4-11-14) is my Retirement Day.........for now

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am excited that tomorrow Fri April 11, 2014 is my temporary retirement day! I was on off-site assignment for work in Albuquerque for the past 4.5 years. However that assignment ended and my choice to stay working at my current employer was to relocate back to CA. Neither me or my wife wanted to do that, we like where we are. I bought the NM house when we moved there and we have really grown to like it there. We have 2.5 acres, in the east mountains of ABQ, nice house that is not too big, with big 26x48 detached workshop garage. :cool:

Since end of Jan I have been working in CA, first on work travel for the transition time, then for about last month at my cost. Fortunate some friends have been having me stay at their house. Nice to spend good time with them and saves me hotel or other costs.

I made the decision to retire from my current job and will have a couple weeks off before starting a new job. Although I could retire now, my wife wants to work another couple years and so i will do the same until we both retire together at that point. I am 50, so 52 is still a great ER goal. :dance: Two extra years of packing away savings will just add a comfort factor to the nestegg and allow for better retirement, I can take that trade.

Due to my current work policies, to keep available a future health ins benefit, I have to go on active retirement. Which means I have to pay a high tax rate for now on the pension for next couple years. :facepalm: I can't really avoid those taxes. I could delay the pension, but then I give up the medical benefit. With the crappy [Mod Edit] ACA and unknowns in the health ins area, I prefer to keep the option for the good ins, and just have to pay the taxes and reduced pension for life since it has an age factor built in.

So I sit here trying to survive approx 12 more hours with a big smile on my face :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope tomorrow goes well for you. Staying in Albuquerque sounds like a great decision to me. Seems like that would be a very nice area. (You may need to expand that garage a little when you hang em up for good.)

Hermit

Congrats!
BTW- IIRC going on [Mod Edit] ACA Exchange means your HI premiums are not deductible unless self-employed & Plan is in your (or your owned Co's) name. So the extra taxes due from your ER process are prob VERY small compared to having to pay your own HI with after-tax $$$. Sounds like you are making the right call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all, I am now temporarily retired! Don't get my first pension check until June 1st, although effective starting May 1st. It takes about 1 month to get into the system.

My new job starts April 28. I have 2 weeks worth of work to do around the house and some appointments/meetings to take of financial and estate matters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom