Toothpaste

A word from a frugaleer....

Stay tuned.... next week Dr. imoldernu gives step by step DIY instructions for dental implants...You'l need a cordless drill, a 3/16 inch drill...and some 1/2 iinch stainless steel screws...

:dance:

Over the past 6 months, on one back molar...I had a root canal, temp crown, then a crown lengthening, then a final crown. You need to have a pocket full of money. I want to learn your step by step procedures. Implants may be a better way to go. What do you use for the pain during the procedure Imold? Whiskey is good like in the cowboy movies.

I do brush and use a mouthwash every night that has flouride in it, (I am on a well), and do floss more diligently. I do that before going to bed and don't eat/drink anything afterward. I think the mouthwash kills many germs that would be having a party in your mouth all night making cavities.

About dentistry...1/3 of what a dentist does is needed and necessary. 1/3 is for looks or questionable. And the last 1/3 is not needed at all...but the dentist needs the money for the beach house.

I think that's a little harsh. My dentists have done good, caring work. And the hygienists do what they do very well. I don't know what they're paid but it's probably not enough.

I think $30 was 1952, $150 1988.

Ha

It's as though we live in different countries! :LOL:

My last dental cleaning was in March. With no insurance, the cost of my cleaning was $95.

That is considered to be normal or slightly expensive around here. I think I would be broke in about 10 minutes if I lived in Seattle. :D Still, it sounds like a beautiful city and so convenient and walkable that it is easy to see why people like it there.

Up here in SW PA the six month cleaning and checkout by the DDS is $125.- for cash customers like me. The average is lower, this is one of the higher priced dentists in town. He and his staff are well worth it. DW and I both agree. In fact she'll be thare tomorrow for some caps.

Last edited:
Up here in SW PA the six month cleaning and checkout by the DDS is $125.- for cash customers like me. The average is lower, this is one of the higher priced dentists in town. He and his staff are well worth it. DW and I both agree. In fact she'll be thare tomorrow for some caps.

[Checking mint.com...]

I pay $127 here in central Ohio for a cleaning and very quick look from the dentist (seriously, she spends maybe a minute looking at my teeth). Also a cash customer.

[Checking mint.com...]

I pay $127 here in central Ohio for a cleaning and very quick look from the dentist (seriously, she spends maybe a minute looking at my teeth). Also a cash customer.

At the university where I teach it costs $30 for a cleaning, $10 for 4 bitewing x-rays, $30 for a full mouth x-ray and $30 per quadrant for a "deep cleaning" if you have periodontal disease. Granted you will spend 2 to 21/2 hours there but your teeth will be clean.

Since retiring in 2010 I floss twice a day, use a regular brush and toothpaste at lunchtime, and an Oral-B toothbrush and toothpaste before bedtime. Visit the dentist every 7 or 8 months (no insurance) and get very complimentary feedback from dentist and hygienist, little or no plaque, and no fillings or other dental work for 5 years now.

Diet includes lots of fruit, veg and carbs, but no sugary drinks. I never suck sweets or eat toffee and other foods that would mean having sugars sitting in my mouth for an extended period.

At the university where I teach it costs $30 for a cleaning, $10 for 4 bitewing x-rays, $30 for a full mouth x-ray and $30 per quadrant for a "deep cleaning" if you have periodontal disease. Granted you will spend 2 to 21/2 hours there but your teeth will be clean.

Thank you. I hope more folks learn of the great care they can get at teaching progams. When BIL was getting his DDS it was a problem to find patients. Another ex-c*w*rker found the dental college I pointed out to her, he helped fix 30 years of neglect. That future DDS was thrilled, she was one of his patients for state boards.
MRG

Generics?

Somewhat off topic, but it has occurred to me that I never see store-brand toothpaste anymore. Used to be all the big chains had their own, at much lower cost.
Wonder why; still see soap, shampoo, etc. under the store brands.

FWIW, when I switched from Crest regular (the tartar control varieties irritate my gums) to Colgate Optic White (I had a coupon) several years ago, my cleanings suddenly got much easier - much less tartar buildup. And whiter teeth to boot. The hygienist says she has heard the same from other patients. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom