Victory -Razor Blades - Chapter 3

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Bumping chapter 1 and chapter 2 here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/razor-blades-63112.html
and
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/why-do-razor-blades-cost-so-much-66793.html

The days of Razor Blade Revolt are over for me... But Victory in Defeat!

After using the same Gilllete Proglide original 2 blades for 7 months, and defecting to alternate razors for a few more months, have conceded defeat... but...

Victory #1
Walmart... Gilette Gift Package.... Razor, Gel Shave Cream (full size) and 4 count 'em 4 blades... for $19.95... or about a dollar more than the same 4 blades that sell for $19.
Victory #2 The Gel is great... takes just a smidgen to foam up for a good shave. At this rate, the can will last a year. :)

Victory #3
With the new blades, have decided to turn the actual shave into a science... shaving for speed and closeness.
Yeah... A new exercise in efficiency. I call it "Excellence in Shaving".
It involves the least number of actions needed to complete a shave. Starts with location of razor and cream... and letting water run until hot... Then... mapping the face for the least number of shaving strokes. Up, Down, Sideways, sideburn trim, undernose trim (backside of the blade)... Application of cream... gel takes a few seconds to foam... Next... begin... 4 strokes, rinse, 4 strokes rinse.. and then the reverse cut to take care of short stubble...

Rnise, wipe face, return razor and gel to medicine cabinet... After shave if going out to a social function.
Total time lapse... 1 minute 45 seconds.

So... now... waiting for the next thread to start... What do you do in retirement?

Last edited:
Easy. Catalog OCD symptoms in ERs.

Ha

I have a specific way to load the dishwasher for maximum load, cleaning effectiveness, and minimum work time. While DW considers it OCD, it's just the cumulative results of my engineering talents.;)

No reason not to shave the same way!

I would like to know what it is, but don't want to jack the thread, so please PM me.

A.

I have a specific way to load the dishwasher for maximum load, cleaning effectiveness, and minimum work time. !

Resurrecting this for two reasons...
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Yes...
... but also
Old age and too much free time breeds conspiracy theories.From OP:
After using the same Gilllete Proglide original 2 blades for 7 months, and defecting to alternate razors for a few more months, have conceded defeat... but...

Well that was then, in this is now. CONSPIRACY THEORY

So the first 2 blades worked for seven months as of last December... At that time, I broke into the second pack of blades. These blades lasted about 3 weeks each, a far cry from the initial "introductory special".
Several theories...
1. It's just my imagination. Senility.
2. Beard suddenly became tougher.
3. Replacement blades are different from the ones included in the initial package. Planned obsolescence.

Long winters bring out the crazies, but @ $4/blade, am thinking of looking at the current TV promotion to go back to my grandfather's razor... Do they still sell Gillette Blue Blades?

Yeah... long winter. :(

When I retired just over 8 months ago, I started using the Schick Hydro 5 blade razor. Amazingly to me, it's still going strong 8 months later. Actually I shocked. I don't remember where I got it, or how much I paid for it. Probably got as a free by somewhere. Either way, it is by far the best shave I've ever had in 35 years of shaving.

Prior to this razor, I thought the Gillette Mach 3 was untouchable. Not anymore. After reading about how to get your razor to last longer, I started drying my razor after every shade and storing it blade up. I can't say for sure, but this must be the reason the razor continue to go on strong. Also, since retiring, I average about a shave every 3 days. That's 10/month or 80 shaves on this blade and still going strong. Fits my LBYM style perfectly.

I bought 3 packs of Schick single edge injector blades a couple of years ago. They were made in China. I'm half way through the first pack (7 blades) at $4.95 per pack. I guess I am too cheap to get into the blade count wars. Seems to me that only the customer looses.

Back
Top Bottom