Total knee replacement 2 and half years later...

Did you now there are over 500,000 knee replacements performed annually in the US? The surgery although major is relatively routine. Having gone through it twice ive spent a good deal of time in rehab and chatted with countless TKR recipients. Every single person I talked too after the first few weeks of discomfort (its really the first couple days) and hobbling around said they were getting around better every day.

If your hobbling around don’t focus on the few focus on the many many who finally have relief.

Let’s be honest having arthritis is awful, having a metal knee well I’d rather have a natural one but I have no pain!!!!

Last edited:
I guess it is just a coincidence we have 3 friends with failed knee replacements, but it does make you worry...

I guess it is just a coincidence we have 3 friends with failed knee replacements, but it does make you worry...

Of course it isn’t good news but i suspect the offending glue has been discontinued. My point was Ive talked to dozens during rehab and haven’t seen or heard any of this. PS i need only ok out the window and see 70 plus year old John who walks regularly and has had those 2 knees for years. My friend Cheryl at work has a new hip for about a year now. And lost 20lbs through diet and exercise Ashe looking and feeling good..

Count me as another success story. I was bone on bone and the pain was constant. My rehab took a little longer, the first 8 weeks were hard. The first two weeks excruciating but almost 3 years later and I'm no longer dreading walking. My right knee will eventually need to be replaced. So far its hanging in there with cortisone shots

I think I am getting near the time for a new knee. Currently sitting her icing my knee after a 45 minute shopping errand. Not so good.

I think I am getting near the time for a new knee. Currently sitting her icing my knee after a 45 minute shopping errand. Not so good.

Sorry to hear that, that's pretty much how it starts. Have you had the cortisone shot and the orthovis shots?

I'm at that stage, the cortisone still offers relief for me but I know where this is going to end.

Cortisone works from very well to so-so for 4 to 6 weeks. Assuming four shots a year that leaves 1/2 of my life restricted. Not so good.

I’m happy with my new knees ... the pain is just a memory.

I am 2 years 6 weeks (right knee) and 7 weeks (left knee). Right knee is feeling great and has since about 6 weeks post surgery. Left knee had more problems, but at 7 weeks I am off pain meds and only have pain when I over do it. I need to build up the endurance in the left leg, but otherwise am doing great. Both knees were bone on bone, but the right one had bone spurs so that was done first even though there was less arthritis. Today, I will say I would do it again, though a few weeks ago, I would have passed on it!

I tried cortisone, it was minimally effective and the synthetic lubricant allowed me to go on the cruise with my DM and sibs for her 90th birthday. It was a delaying tactic, not a solution for me.

Back
Top Bottom