Tracking Steps and Bike Rides

CoolRich59

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve been tracking my steps with an app for a while now. But, I recently got a bike and have been getting exercise going for rides as well. But, the steps app does not log the bike rides.

There are a bunch of cycling apps, but I’m wondering if there is an app that collects both types of activity so I can get “credit” not only for my walks, but my bike rides too.

I use Garmin Connect through my Garmin watch and it keeps track of multiple activities- runs, bikes,other - as long as I tell my watch what I’m doing before I start.

And it keeps track of steps automatically. So I get reports per day that includes steps and other activities info.

Not sure if or how Garmin Connect works if you don’t have a Garmin device.

I recently started using MapMyRun by Under Armor and it allows you to choose run along with road cycling and many others. Free so perhaps worth a try.

A simple bike computer will give you time/speed/distance.
I use Geo Tracker on my smart phone when I am out doing longer hikes or rides and want to know altitude gain plus distance via GPS.

I had double fusion spine surgery eight months ago and knew I needed to get walking as soon as possible, bought a $20 3DFitbud on Amazon and made sure I did 10K steps everyday, in addition got a $300 exercise bike (tracks distance, time, calories, speed, etc.) and started doing ten miles a day (every day) in Febuary. My app is a digital bathroom scale that tells me daily plus or minus my progress.

The app I have on my phone "Health" logs ~ half the distance when I ride bike. It is nice to follow the miles I log but I'm more concentrated on riding what ever I can for exercise.

I guess nice to look at but more important is get my butt out and exercise. Lol

I found the Health app on my iPhone to be inaccurate, where I walk a 3mi course, it says 2.4 miles. I recently loaded the Strava app. You can designate your activity—walk, run, hike, bike, etc. I like it. It provides a map of your course, shows elevation changes, time active vs overall time, so it recognizes if you stop to rest. A caveat though, the default settings share all of your info with their network, you can turn it off, but you have to really dig through the menus to make it private. They offer a subscription service that I do not use.

Strava will log both. They may call it a run instead of a walk. But it's a fine line for me as far as speed. They have a paid side but you can use the free site

Strava will log both. They may call it a run instead of a walk. But it's a fine line for me as far as speed. They have a paid side but you can use the free site
A while ago, I downloaded Strava but had a dispute with them when they charged my card for the “free” trial and didn’t respond to my email about it.

I deleted the app without ever using it, but may try it again. Thanks!

Apple Watch tracks bike rides beautifully. Of course it does steps too. My experience with cycling is that the distance tracking is very accurate.

Just the standard exercise/activity watch app handles all that stuff. In addition to the detailed cycling statistics it shows the route you took, has a graph of your heart rate. You can see the details on your iPhone which saves all this stuff historically in the standard Apple Activity App.

Last edited:
I track my biking with a Garmin bike computer. I do not track my walking. I save the data to Garmin Connect & Strava. It's automatically saved to both when I plug the Garmin into the computer.

The main reason I am writing is that some fitness 'contests' I join, for example a team Bike Month 'competition' does not work with Garmin Connect. But does work with Strava. If you ever see yourself participating in things like this, which are fun to do and not really competitive, be sure the device you choose is compatible with various programs. In the case of a contest, the data is uploaded to Strava and then automatically moved to the contest site.

Perhaps not a big issue for you but I know I would have been angry if I did not have the capability to transfer data easily.

A while ago, I downloaded Strava but had a dispute with them when they charged my card for the “free” trial and didn’t respond to my email about it.

I deleted the app without ever using it, but may try it again. Thanks!

I see you are wanting "steps". I don't think Strava does steps, just mileage. So that may swing it away from Strava for you. I think they have a splash screen for premium show up most days. I just hit the x and go on

DW tracks all of our rides on "Map my Ride," which also has a "Map my Run" feature. I assume you can report on both activities.

I use Strava for cycling. Usually on my Apple Watch and sometimes on my iPhone.

I don’t track steps/walking, but if I did, I’d use the Workout app on the Apple Watch.

Btw, if I remember correctly, the iPhone automatically tracks steps. You can find the data in the Health app.

I found the Health app on my iPhone to be inaccurate, where I walk a 3mi course, it says 2.4 miles.

We've found that it won't count the distance if you slow down too much. A relatively brisk pace is needed for distance accuracy.

Mapmyride or Strava will track your bike rides. We just use our Fitbit Ionic watch and phone App to track all activity: walking, running, biking, weight training, swimming, and sleeping.

I use my Apple watch cycling app, but when I had a Fitbit, I just wrapped it around my ankle. Problem solved.

We've found that it won't count the distance if you slow down too much. A relatively brisk pace is needed for distance accuracy.

That’s interesting. Can you better define “a brisk pace”? I’m walking just over 3 mph, which is no speed record, but not what I consider slow either.

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading once that the Workout app expected an average pace of about 3.5 mph, or a little over 17 minutes per mile.
Don't hold me to that; my memory may be faulty, but when DW does her long walks she sometimes experiences that issue.

Back
Top Bottom