Transiet Global Amnesia

ohyes

Full time employment: Posting here.
When I tried to reply to a earlier post, it popped up I could not respond to a 333 day old post.

This was a major event for DH and me last night, so I want to share. Scary, not serious.

Around this time last night, Googling brought me to our Early Retirement Forum, including a few posts about TGA.

DH was acting strangely, repeating comments/questions over and over. I texted our kids and asked if either could call him....just in case I was mistaken...(knew I was not, but he was not receptive to my insistence we drive to ER). DD immediately called her dad and texted me that he seemed "off." After I read that text to DH, he reluctantly agreed to go. Although, most of the drive over, he was asking Why are we going?

Neither of us had heard of TGA until last night.....so grateful to read a few posts here describing that diagnosis. That is a scary thing to experience and I prayed in the ER room that it would be TGA while he was getting MRI.

He is to call to schedule an EEG in next couple weeks. Thankfully, sounds unlikely there will be another episode.

Last edited:
I'm sure he will be ok. Probably will feel like he has a hole in his memory, at least I did. After I had retired another Megacorp co-w*rker had one at a gym, with a bunch of other co-w*rkers present. They started to recognize the symptoms and told the EMTs they had seen another person doing the same kind of thing. That was his diagnosis.

It's weird for something uncommon, quite a few people here have had or been with someone who had one.

Be aware the symptoms you describe can also be caused by a urinary tract infection.

I posted a few months ago that my DW had this .. we spent 1 day in ER .. she had 4-5 hours of lost memory. Didn’t come back .. fingers crossed. Neurologist said there is no known cure or cause

If I had not Googled before, during and after ER visit, I would have been even more frightened.... I was thinking stroke, Alzheimer, statin drugs, all of those and more.

DH is fine now. Everything ER doctor said, along with what I read, sounds like it was definitely TGA. It was a short, but scary, experience. Happily I found reports of fellow ER folks experiencing TGA which helped calm me/get through to the other side.

Thank you. :)

Quite a few people here are older, so more $#!+ in general has happened to us.

It's weird for something uncommon, quite a few people here have had or been with someone who had one.

I had an episode a couple years ago while still at work. Locked myself out of my computer, couldn’t figure out how to call home. Lost about 4 hours of my life. EEG was fine and no lasting impact. Pretty scary though.

Statin drugs as well.

Look up Dr. Duane Graveline for some scary stuff about his TGA caused by statin use.

For example:
My Statin Story

You both got my attention. I read Dr. Graveline's story and updates. :(

DH and our 34yo DD are both on statins. DD was diagnosed just last week with Familial hypercholesterolemia. Statin use is a big concern of mine for these two. Neither of their doctors admit there is much danger at all.

Back
Top Bottom