Transition to retirement poll

I had a difficult time transitioning from full-time employment to retirement.

• Total voters
Even though I didn´t have any difficulty in the transition I must admit that this was due to my loathing of the job. Now, 6 years later, I sadly admit that I am less happy now than when just retired.

Even though I didn´t have any difficulty in the transition I must admit that this was due to my loathing of the job. Now, 6 years later, I sadly admit that I am less happy now than when just retired.
Why so, if you don't mind me asking?

We need another poll choice along the lines of "You must be joking, right?"

It's been almost nine years, but I still wake up [-]screaming[/-] after occasional nightmares that the assignment officer called to discuss my next duty station.

~6.5 years and still occasional flashbacks. But now I recognize them and wake up.

Work is a four letter word.
After 5000 20mile trips down I5, enough is enough.
I could name 25 people I know that worked until 65 and then dropped dead within a year.

I said "disagree" but could have easily said strongly disagree. Although I have only been RE for 6 weeks now I am amazed at how easy this has been for me. I never think about w**k unless I hear others talk about the things that annoyed me about the job. I'm talking about office politics, program of the month, goals, individual performance factors (and competition for them), meetings, performance reviews, coaching, complaints, soft skills training, pretending, always having to defend decisions to someone who doesn't deserve your time, dealing with incompetents and on and on and on. And I liked my job.:LOL:
I just left it behind for my replacement to deal with and I have other interests now. I have not regretted RE for one second.
I will say that I prepared extensively both financially, and emotionally and I think it has paid off nicely. I simply do not miss having a job at all.

Agree.

I had no trouble assesing my situation and analyzing post-FIRE sources of income. Once I knew I had an "all clear" on that, I easily made the decision to resign, rather than wait for an "early out" offer that might not have materialized. It never did, so I chose the right time to leave. My choice of timing, not theirs. :dance:

I had a lot of trouble going from high stress achiever mode to just chilling out. I am sure I provided some cheap entertainment to the forum community in my first year or so of FIRE. :LOL:

Strongly Disagree.

I retired 4.5y ago at 48 from a programming career which was an excellent match for me - easy work, decent money, and very low stress.

However, retirement suits me even better. The pay is plenty and the hours are excellent. It was a very easy transition.

Back
Top Bottom