Trusted Traveler Programs

Mrs Honeyfill and I are getting ready to start our post retirement travel. We thought that we might look into TSA Pre. I used to get it when I traveled a lot for work and it is a great perk. It only costs 85$ and if you plan to fly a lot during retirement it is worth every penny.
However, today I learned about something even better: "Global Entry" This gives you TSA Pre in the States and lets you jump to the head of the Customs lines when you are traveling internationally!! It only costs 100$ and they throw in the TSA Pre for free.
The moral of the story is: If you are looking into TSA Pre, get the Global entry instead.
Hopefully, fellow travelers can learn from my mistake and safe themselves some time and money!

If anyone has any other helpful hints about trusted traveler programs or related subjects, please post them here.

Yes we got Global Entry as soon as we realized our (Mexico) border points of entry were now offering the interviews, and one location only a few miles away. No waits for interviews either.

It’s been wonderful, little wait in security screening at busy airports, super fast customs entry often bypassing very long lines. Really reduces the hassle factor.

On a return from Europe a few years ago, we waited in the two customs lines (pre and post checked baggage) for over an hour! That really motivated us. Now we bypass all that.

Last edited:
I got pre check all the time when I was travelling for business. We got Global entry this year after the first trip that we did not get pre check.

Our only experience with using the GOES Kiosks was at Vancouver Airport. There were numerous kiosks, more than half of them inoperative, and the first one I tried, went down while I was using it! Very frustrating. Don't know how common this is.

Also, there was no sign for GOES when entering the customs area, so we were stuck in the cattle line for quite a while until I figured out what was going on. The GOES sign was way up in front, where we couldn't see it from the entrance to the customs area.

+1 on Global entry.
You get to the use the Kiosks and bypass Immigration completely (on an bad day at JFK, EWR or MIA that will save you an hour or more) and THEN you have a separate late for customs.

I have gone from disembarking the plane to curbside in 10 minutes!

Nexus will get you TSA-Pre but will not work for International (Canada excepted) flights
Use this DHS link to find the one best for you:
https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-programs

Another Global Entry user here. We also have Mobile Passport. We gone to the front of the line or cut it completely a number of times. No better feeling. :)

Just a minor rant: "Too bad for everyone that we don't have enough TSA screeners on duty at the airport and that the procedures aren't efficient. Yes, we know that you already paid a tax on the price of your ticket to help pay for the TSA services. Tell you what--pay some EXTRA money and we'll be less inefficient to you."
It is a shakedown.
What next? Pay the IRS a "gratuity" of $100 to reduce the chance of an audit?

If having a bunch of my info on file helps TSA to expedite the screening process, then TSA should want to do that and provide the service for free---it makes their jobs easier, helps move everyone along faster, and they claim it makes the skies safer. It should be encouraged, not discouraged wth an added fee.

Rant off.
Your point is well made and I agree. I think in general air travel security is excessive and overdone.

We have enjoyed using GE for a few years now, and will be using again when we fly to the USA next year. Unfortunately it expires in November next year and I've not yet looked into if it is possible to renew it while living in the UK. Even though we only fly to the USA once a year these days I would pay for it for the convenience of getting through passport control more quickly.

For UK passport holders entering the UK they provide their equivalent service for free, totally automated booths with facial recognition, can't remember the last time I've even spoken to a passport control officer.

Alan, I think you still have US citizenship, so renewal should certainly be possible.

Look at this page and scroll down to "Renewing Global Entry Membership".
You can apparently renew it as much as a year before it expires.

Alan, I think you still have US citizenship, so renewal should certainly be possible.

Look at this page and scroll down to "Renewing Global Entry Membership".
You can apparently renew it as much as a year before it expires.

Thanks for this. Our current US passports are with the US Embassy as we renew them so I will try updating our passport details once we get the new passports.

Looking at the link you sent for renewing our GE is this line,
Select the enrollment center hyperlink to see a list of available enrollment centers.

We will be staying with our daughter in LA next March so if we actually need to visit an enrollment center we can do it then.

Even though you can renew up to a year ahead I expect they will stiff you on the renewal date so renewing in March means we will lose 6 months of GE status that we have paid for. They do the same with the US passports, when you you renew it is the date of renewal + 10 years when your passport expires. The UK is fairer in that you can renew your passport at anytime but the time left on your existing passport (up to 9 months) is added to the expiration date of your new passport.

Something to remember if you are applying for GE it is important to do full disclosure of encounters with Law enforcement/Criminal legal system -- even if you think it was waay in the past. They deeply frown on this and will deny you GE privileges if it is not disclosed at the time of application

Also getting GE means that you are a TRUSTED traveller and if you are caught abusing the privilege your GE will be revoked. Most common reason for revoking is bring food (fresh fruit, meat, etc.) without disclosing it when you enter the information in the Kiosk.

Flyertalk forums are littered with people either not getting GE or it is revoked :
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/...avelers-can-lose-global-entry-privileges.html

So once you have it, make sure you do not lose it.

Last edited:
Adding some of the reasons why GE was revoked:

• You do not meet the program eligibility requirements. GE member has 8/27/2014 misdemeanor conviction for DUI-LIQUOR/DRUGS/VAPORS/COMBO after approval for GE program.
  • You are no longer eligible for program membership as you did not follow proper procedures during U.S CBP processing and went under multiple rope barriers in order to bypass the exit egress. because of the above security violation your Global Entry membership has been revoked.
  • Upon further review, you do not meet standard requirements base on 2/25/1975 FRAUD-INSUFF FUNDS CHECK / 150 DOLLARS OR OVER; 8/21/1975 FRAUD-INSUFF FUNDS CHECK; 12/22/1977 NONMOVING TRAFFIC VIOL – NVDL PINELLAS CO showing no disposition.
  • Poor conduct of stakeholder at O’Hare International Airport 2/15/17. Conduct lends itself to the belief that the member no longer considered low risk to violate terms and conditions of trusted traveler program.

Full list of some of reasons by GE was revoked, as originally published by CBP:
https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GE-Revoked-Memberships.pdf

I have TSA Pre- and the CBP app on my phone. TSA Pre- gets me through the US TSA line more quickly, and the CBP gets you through Customs on your return to the US - if the airport has a line for CBP. Some don't. So there are two reasons to get GE:

1 - provides trusted traveller info to the airlines as you are already approved as a traveller
2 - always lets you into the fast lane for Customs as GE (bypass the GE Kiosk), then show the barcode from the CBP app.

I have TSA Pre- and the CBP app on my phone. TSA Pre- gets me through the US TSA line more quickly, and the CBP gets you through Customs on your return to the US - if the airport has a line for CBP. Some don't. So there are two reasons to get GE:

1 - provides trusted traveller info to the airlines as you are already approved as a traveller
2 - always lets you into the fast lane for Customs as GE (bypass the GE Kiosk), then show the barcode from the CBP app.
SFO seems to be among the airports that doesn't have a dedicated CBP line so they just directed me to GE line last 4 times. In fact, needed to use toilet last time as we were on tarmac for an uncomfortable length and they put me at front of regular line .... nice guys or my grayed hair? [emoji61]

As soon as I turned 60 both my DH and I get Pre tsa even though he is 5 years younger about 95% of the time for free.

Adding some of the reasons why GE was revoked:

• You do not meet the program eligibility requirements. GE member has 8/27/2014 misdemeanor conviction for DUI-LIQUOR/DRUGS/VAPORS/COMBO after approval for GE program.
  • You are no longer eligible for program membership as you did not follow proper procedures during U.S CBP processing and went under multiple rope barriers in order to bypass the exit egress. because of the above security violation your Global Entry membership has been revoked.
  • Upon further review, you do not meet standard requirements base on 2/25/1975 FRAUD-INSUFF FUNDS CHECK / 150 DOLLARS OR OVER; 8/21/1975 FRAUD-INSUFF FUNDS CHECK; 12/22/1977 NONMOVING TRAFFIC VIOL – NVDL PINELLAS CO showing no disposition.
  • Poor conduct of stakeholder at O’Hare International Airport 2/15/17. Conduct lends itself to the belief that the member no longer considered low risk to violate terms and conditions of trusted traveler program.

Full list of some of reasons by GE was revoked, as originally published by CBP:
https://loyaltylobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/GE-Revoked-Memberships.pdf
The 2 that got me were:"revoked undeclared medications" & "seizure"

I think in general air travel security is excessive and overdone.

“All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts"

Billy S.

As soon as I turned 60 both my DH and I get Pre tsa even though he is 5 years younger about 95% of the time for free.

a couple weeks ago we had an early flight.We get to security and they were waving everyone through as if they had "pre". Don't take your shoes off, Computers in your bag. I don't know what happened. We were at our gate less than an hour from the time we got our Uber at home. It was like an Ellen show....you get pre check, you get pre check....

Many folks do not live where doing the interview is feasible. When I applied for TSA pre-check, I could not even go the main Houston airport to get this done. The closest place was miles away from the airport. I eventually did it at LaGuardia when I flew from there to IAH.

I would have done GE, but couldn't get a timely appointment.

Also, the mobile app has never worked on my cell phone.

Nevertheless, entry has always been pretty fast for me. But maybe that's because I've flown in from Canada a few times and one clears immigration in Canada before one gets on the plane.

Just a note. If your Global Entry has been tentatively approved, you may be able to complete your interview as you enter the US on an international flight. I was renewing my GE and just needed to complete the interview which was scheduled a month away. The CBP officer checking me at IAH (Houston) directed me to another officer who did the GE work and he took about 5 minutes to get me completed.

Just a note. If your Global Entry has been tentatively approved, you may be able to complete your interview as you enter the US on an international flight. I was renewing my GE and just needed to complete the interview which was scheduled a month away. The CBP officer checking me at IAH (Houston) directed me to another officer who did the GE work and he took about 5 minutes to get me completed.

In a similar situation, we couldn't get the iris scan when we had our Nexus interviews in Detroit because they weren't set up to do that.

So when visiting Newfoundland later on, we had some time to kill in the Halifax airport and got it done there. They said as long as they weren't busy it was no problem.

a couple weeks ago we had an early flight.We get to security and they were waving everyone through as if they had "pre". Don't take your shoes off, Computers in your bag. I don't know what happened. We were at our gate less than an hour from the time we got our Uber at home. It was like an Ellen show....you get pre check, you get pre check....

Ha.. :LOL:

Probably to ease the queues - they get quite long at some airports early in the morning. This is going to go away though, there are obvious security concerns about this and congress is getting ready to pass a bill that will do away with this practice:

TSA PreCheck Set for Stricter Policing Under House-Approved Bill:
"The bipartisan legislation, H.R. 6265, passed the House on a voice vote. Under the legislation, only passengers who have passed background checks and paid fees to be part of the U.S. Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) PreCheck program or another trusted traveler program would be eligible to use expedited airport security screening lines.

https://about.bgov.com/blog/tsa-precheck-stricter-policing-house-bill/

This thread inspired me to apply for GE last night - thanks. (Also thanks for the warnings about not trying to smuggle in bits of food, etc. - yes, I want to be a Trusted Traveler!) I'm lucky - there's an interview location only a block from me.

I don't travel that much but hope to do more in the coming years.

A few thoughts on Global Entry and Pre Check.

1. I just renewed in August after 5 years of membership. Unless you are unlucky there is no need for a re-interview. It took two days though for the renewal to be approved.

2. There are plenty of credit cards that now offer a GE rebate. Be sure to read the fine print however. You will need to use the card to pay it. And you also might have a card holding period such that your card must be active for a period both before and after the application amount is paid.

3. If you ever travel into PHL or JFK or even CLT from overseas it is well worth the price even if you have to pay it yourself.

4. The UK Registered Traveler program (for US citizens) is a Royal Pain in the Caboose. It is almost comically British like a Monty Python episode. You must travel to/fro UK 3x in the last 2 years, then there is a very weird process for approval under which on your 4th visit (or more) you basically tell an immigration officer that you’ve been approved and then he/she looks it up to see if true and then assuming it all checks out he/she gives you a card. Then it is good for I think 1 year for 100 pounds. I gave up on it due to the complexity. If you go to UK perhaps 10x or more a year then it makes good sense IF you are not already flying business or first class. If you are business/first, then you’ll get a fast pass that essentially is just as good for jumping the line. I hope the UK and US can get together on this and streamline it a bit. If anyone has done this and I’m wrong I’d love to hear it.

5. The comment above about full disclosure really is on the mark. I have a close friend who did not disclose an EXPUNGED arrest for under-age drinking. Well, unbeknownst to him expungement at least in this case does not shield the arrest from law enforcement. He had to have a time-out (his wife was approved that very day — they had back to back interviews). He then had another interview following intervention of an ombudsman. Got GE about 1 year later.

6. Airlines are (or were) allowed to grant pre-check somewhat unilaterally. At the beginning many upper tier fliers received this status. Also some senior fliers receive it I believe. If you receive it with no rhyme or reason it is probably due to the grant by the airline, which is not permanent or guaranteed.

7. GE also omits the requirement of a landing card, which is nice.

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to apply for GE last night - thanks. (Also thanks for the warnings about not trying to smuggle in bits of food, etc. - yes, I want to be a Trusted Traveler!) I'm lucky - there's an interview location only a block from me.

I don't travel that much but hope to do more in the coming years.

I am so strict about declaring food. I consider chocolate/candy food. Even ground coffee and olive oil is food. We never return without something edible, so I always declare. Most of the time I give a verbal list and they wave me through.

Of course they are just interested in dairy, meat and plants/seeds, and alcohol exceeding a certain limit, but if they ask if you have food, I have to say yes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I travel with Nature Valley granola bars bought here and I even declare those. BTW I swear I saw the last guy roll his eyes. But hey he asked!

Yeah, I travel with Nature Valley granola bars bought here and I even declare those. BTW I swear I saw the last guy roll his eyes. But hey he asked!

They ask - you have to declare. I'm not taking the chances of running into some a$$hole who has a chip on his/her shoulder.

Yeah - they are usually waving me through as I'm rattling off a list. But one time the bored and empty department of AG decided to xray our bags.

Back
Top Bottom