TV on your computer?

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
Thinking about dropping my Dish Network TV. My most watched programs are MSNBC, Link TV, FSTV, Comedy Central and Bill Maher Real Time when it's on. I can manage to get MSNBC, Link TV, and some FSTV on internet (though 2 days after the fact), but only clips from Jon Stewart show and Bill Maher (guess you can tell I’m Liberal)

If I wanted to watch any of these things and maintain my sanity (clips stop and hesitate every two seconds) I would have to go from my supposed 1.5 (LOL) DSL service at $27.95 mo. to Comcast 6 or 12 Mg. service for $60 a month. They only have 1.5 mg as second option, but that doesn’t work well for video and besides they would still charge me $60 mo. as I don’t have TV or phone service with them, and that’s how they structure it here. My DSL here where I live only has 1.5 mg available so I can’t bump that up.

Local TV in my area is not too good. Nearest transmitter is over 20 miles away. Could get a few stations with a roof antenna and power booster, but I don’t watch much local TV anyway.

I know they have video streaming web sites on the internet where you can get full shows I think (not just clips) but they are illegal I guess. Not interested in sit coms etc like you get on HULU, or watching Fox News. I subscribe to Netflix and can stream movies over internet to TV for $8.00 a month. Wish there was some way to get Bill Maher Real Time without the whole enchilada. Besides, I will be traveling West and be gone for about 4 to 5 months, so rather not have subscription service. Anyone know anything about internet video streaming or other ideas I haven’t thought of?

Thanks for the links. I have read through them. Unfortunately, ITunes only has Bill Maher in short clips from some previous shows available for free and I understand some audio podcasts. They now have full length shows available for $2.00 each, but they are old shows from last year and beyond. All the comments on site are from people asking them to put on current episodes, (not year old episodes) and they would be happy to pay for them. My sentiments also.

There are other shows that you can purchase for $2.00, but they are current.

Sure wish I could find a way to get it. Can manage all the other shows pretty much online, then say goodbye $120 satellite bill. Of course, I'd be paying an additional $30 mo for faster internet on cable, and no DVR or HD. Sure do like the DVR. Boy, it's hard to go back.

How fast should internet speed be to be able to live stream video smoothly on your PC. I know even 3 mg., stutters.

I don't have any suggestions for you today, but I think this is the near future. It seems that people who provide content to cable companies would be very happy going around cable and streaming their stuff for a monthly fee. That becomes the "ala carte" cable that some of us would really like.

Back
Top Bottom