Two old dogs

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've taken to sitting in front my house with our leashed dog lying in the shade on grass a few feet away – she loves our time together. We are fortunate our home sits on a large very green wooded lot with large mature trees. Although the backyard has a beautiful deck the front yard is my preferred spot. Tonight it is warm and very breezy - I sit with some sculpted landscaping between me and the last rays of the strong setting sun. My wife says I people watch but there are very few walkers. No I think 40 years of sitting behind a desk sends me outside to find the summer fresh air. Yesterday when we were at Lowe’s I tried out a well cushioned rocker. It felt glorious – the camping chair I am sitting in as I write this is very portable but lacks any cushioning at all. I could ask for the rocker as a Father's Day gift but, it would be an admission that like my old dog I seek the comfy chair, the warm fire, the summer sun. Of course she knows but I wont give her the satisfaction of that knowing smile and the unspoken –“ Sure old man what ever you want.”

Last week I traveled west for work and spent a few days at a very large building. It took ten minutes of walking to get anywhere on too hard floors. My new knee protested and by the third day I knew the end of my working career is at hand. Just like when the surgeon told me you'll know when it is time to ‘do that knee’. You'll know when it is time to walk off into the sunset. It isn't just the knee, it is the petty nonsense of the corporate world. The fear of saying what you really think and that déjà vu feeling you experience at every meeting. I’ve reached my limit of hearing what a great and wonderful corporation we work for and the ‘new direction’ that only the creator seems to think will work.

Sadly the truth is it once was a great company to work for. I like to think I was extremely lucky to work during the tail end of the golden years of corporate compensation. I had an hefty contribution to my retirement amount every month up until a few years ago. I saw a few years profit sharing too. That is all gone now, my younger colleagues and my children will face quite a challenge funding their retirements. I have my doubts about how it will end for many of them as few born in this country seem to know how to save. It just seems like my colleagues from anywhere other than the US know the secret of self reliance and long term thinking.

My son will graduate HS in twelve months and I am more then ready for a new adventure. Buy that dream retirement home in Florida? You know the one with the pool in a cage, huge island in the kitchen and beautiful walk in tiled shower in the closed community. Seems like a lot of stuff..lately stuff suffocates me and it doesn't seem like much of an adventure.

You know what I mean?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Yes and no.

The yes;

2566762034_0b60902c2c.jpg

And the no;

19967068958_fdc3642b23.jpg

The adventure awaits, just hop on and ride! And when you get home you can have a snooze in the hammock with the dog - :)

Not to mention there is a superautomatic coffee machine in the kitchen and 5 pounds of lobster tails in the freezer.

The important thing is to do what you want, not what other people think you should do - :)

Yes and no.

The adventure awaits, just hop on and ride! And when you get home you can have a snooze in the hammock with the dog - :)

Not to mention there is a superautomatic coffee machine in the kitchen and 5 pounds of lobster tails in the freezer.

The important thing is to do what you want, not what other people think you should do - :)

It would be a BMW my fav... Dam you.... Very sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Yes and no.

The yes;

2566762034_0b60902c2c.jpg

And the no;

This is what I call - Livin' large :cool:
Really like the vibe of this post - and the simple pleasures of life.

.......... It isn't just the knee, it is the petty nonsense of the corporate world. The fear of saying what you really think and that déjà vu feeling you experience at every meeting...........
I often wonder what my former Mega could have accomplished if 90% of their energy was not expended in political jostling and squabbling.

You know what I mean?
Oh, yea. So glad to not have to deal with it.

I doubt that we worked at the same company, but damn, it sure sounds like the company that I worked for. It was great for the first 25 years and a dungeon for the next 7. If you can see your way to it, I recommend retirement...

And the no;

It would be a BMW my fav... Dam you.... Very sweet.

Nice, but I am a Harley Davidson man myself....

19108-albums182-picture1390.jpg

Knew I was getting close when the bike has a heated seat, heated grips and connections for heated gear...

Although, one of the first things I will do when I retire is get a dog...

19108-albums182-picture1390.html

Last edited:
I've taken to sitting in front my house with our leashed dog lying in the shade on grass our time together.
My new knee protested and by the third day I knew the end of my working career is at hand.
I was extremely lucky to work during the tail end of the golden years of corporate compensation.
I have my doubts about how it will end for many of them as few born in this country seem to know how to save.
My son will graduate HS in twelve months and I am more then ready for a new adventure.

Buy that dream retirement home in Florida? You know the one with the pool in a cage.

You know what I mean?

Sounds as if you're ready to retire in every way, and ready for the simple life. And your dream of moving to Florida is closer to being a reality.

Go for it.

Few things are better than appreciating the simple things in life.

And go ahead and ask for that rocker, it's okay to seek a few comforts for you, and for the old dog beside you.

Nice, but I am a Harley Davidson man myself....

19108-albums182-picture1390.jpg

Knew I was getting close when the bike has a heated seat, heated grips and connections for heated gear...

Although, one of the first things I will do when I retire is get a dog...

19108-albums182-picture1390.html

I'll take one of each.

We got a dog when we retired. I'm not sure if the dog retired and we started working for him though. :LOL:

You'll know when it is time to walk off into the sunset. It isn't just the knee, it is the petty nonsense of the corporate world. The fear of saying what you really think and that déjà vu feeling you experience at every meeting. I’ve reached my limit of hearing what a great and wonderful corporation we work for and the ‘new direction’ that only the creator seems to think will work.

Sadly the truth is it once was a great company to work for.

This reminds me of the "Old Corps" and the "New Corps". When I earned the title the old salts were Vietnam era vets finishing up their careers. I was just a "boot" or "shower shoe". When I was finishing up my career and talking to the young guys about Desert Storm or Somalia (the black hawk down days) they couldn't relate. Many were in diapers in 1993. It started to make me wonder on how much is just perspective. Your first years at a mega (or Marine Corps) may seem exciting and new. But, when we have seen it all and been there, done that it all gets old.

Anyway, just a thought. Enjoy!

How's the new knee?
The good:
- the veggie garden is as tidy as it has ever been
- the lawn is lookin great
- I have energy to do stuff because my knee isn't aching all the time.
- I've lost weight
- my mood has improved...

The bad:
- The other knee decided to remind me it too wants attention.
- got a shot and the 'natural' knee has settled down
- the new knee doesn't like hard floors or shoes... Not much of a sacrifice compared to how much it ached before I had it replaced.

We the bad knee/hip are people are fortunate to have options....

I bought the rocker $250.

Here it is...ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1466455841.003027.jpg

Back
Top Bottom