Unexpected flight refund

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Back in January I cancelled a Delta flight and got the e-credit for it. We had upgraded to first at a hefty cost, and I knew that the upgrade fee would be simply lost -- it's a longstanding policy.

So I was blown away the other day when I got an email from Delta saying that they were refunding the entire upgrade fee to my credit card. A "one-time courtesy" that just came out of the blue!
We would like to thank you for choosing Delta for your travel needs. You are receiving this email as we have issued a refund for your seat purchase on your cancelled flight. Rest assured, you have already received an eCredit for your flight issued upon initial cancellation. Preferred seat purchases and seat upgrade purchases made after your initial booking are typically non-refundable and non-changeable, and while eCredits cannot be issued for these purchases, please enjoy this refund back to your original form of payment as a one-time courtesy.

Back in January I cancelled a Delta flight and got the e-credit for it. We had upgraded to first at a hefty cost, and I knew that the upgrade fee would be simply lost -- it's a longstanding policy.

So I was blown away the other day when I got an email from Delta saying that they were refunding the entire upgrade fee to my credit card. A "one-time courtesy" that just came out of the blue!
Nice!

When it comes to financial 'surprises', 99% of the time they're bad. Good to see something good one in a while.

Well done! Nothing like a bit of unexpected money …

That’s awesome. I’ve been choosing Delta lately even though they’re not the cheapest. I think it’s worth the extra cost for better service and it’s nice to hear that they’re treating their customers well.

That's pretty good and so much better than the battle I had to do when they downgraded my First Class seat to economy TWICE. Never mind that I bought the tickets 6 months ago and was the 1st person in FC and probably the 5th of all pax on both flights. I was able to "get my seats" back, but not without a LOT of gnashing of teeth and long waits on the phone. DAL *was* my favorite airline until they pulled this trick...now, well, they ALL seem to suck in their own special way.

Nice! We have an AA booked to go to Yellowstone. I bought the flight cancellation insurance which basically protects you against sickness or death. Any suggestions? We are friends with an MD.

We had cancelled Christmas travel last year due to covid exposure. This was on American. They told is upgrade fees were non-refundable, which seemed unbelievable. Then they told me there was a separate process to recover them.

Long story short, I got them back though I had to request it electronically and they were quickly returned as flight credit, which was fine for me.

Nice! We have an AA booked to go to Yellowstone. I bought the flight cancellation insurance which basically protects you against sickness or death. Any suggestions? We are friends with an MD.

Are you not going due to illness or because Yellowstone is closed right now?
If ill, go to see your PCP or Urgent Care, get a letter and follow instructions with your insurance.
IF Yellowstone remains closed, I would think the insurance would have a procedure also.

It's good to see airlines do the right thing.

I had a trip beginning in Cabo San Lucas in 2018 and carefully scheduled my layovers in Houston to be long enough to make the international connections each way. American changed my schedule and I was leaving Cabo earlier than the cruise line recommended. I called AA and the next available flight out of Cabo left a connection time in Houston of a little over an hour- on the last flight of the evening to my home airport. I asked if I could fly out of Houston the following AM (staying overnight at my expense). No, that would be a voluntary change and would incur charges. So, I took what they offered.

The cruise line got us back to the airport earlier than expected and I was able to stand by for the earlier flight to Houston but in Coach, not Business that I'd paid for. I even got an Exit row seat. I was pleasantly surprised when AA refunded the fare difference on that leg.

And of course the later flight out of Cabo left half an hour late and I would have missed my flight home. I saved them the cost of a hotel room.:D

My son and I flew this winter on United 1st class and our outbound first leg was delayed 10(!) hours. At first we were rebooked on the 2nd leg on a plane with pods, which we thought would be really cool. But for one reason or another we missed that one and the flight we did get had just one first class seat available so he (not me, no way!) had to sit in coach. I filled out a form and United refunded the difference in fare class for that flight.

Question: If a flight is canceled due to weather, no refund. If a flight is canceled due to mechanical, pilot, and/or staff shortage refund. Is that right? I'm seeing staff shortages on airlines on the news.

I got an unexpected piece of good news from Air Malta. I'd booked a round trip from Munich to Valetta for $200 and then found out that hotel rates were FAR cheaper if I changed to a day later. I'd selected a fare with a $25 change fee and 50% refundable. It was impossible to change in the site and I tried everything. I emailed and was told I had to call their phone line- in Malta. :mad: I just booked the flight I needed and blew another $200.

Yesterday I got an e-mail that I'd been approved for a 50% refund. Still not on my credit card but I'm hopeful.:D

Back
Top Bottom