Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - 2021 version

Tried the MAX app last week and it is finally working thank goodness. They fixed whatever was doing location lookup and we are no longer getting the region error.

We have Hulu on some special deal my wife found and we pay only $1.99/month for a year. We’re half way in and will reevaluate at the end.

I think I have everything we want sorted, Here is how it all ended up.

Still managing with No broadcasting costs or streaming subscriptions.

1) I have OTA for local channels except PBS, signal is too weak. DW's Jeopardy is spared on our local channel 12. It does get a bit flakey in a good lightning storm though, but still watchable.

2) Roku Apps for Bloomberg, PBS, CBS, YouTube (Free) and other news channels.

3) The Weather Channel, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, ABC News, and other news channels Screencast from spare laptop via websites like Newslive.com

4) $50 a month for 1gb internet from Xfinity, using my own modem and routers.

Not too inconvenient, using about 500gb a month out of 1.2tb bandwidth allotment. Minor inconvenience is Worth a $145 a month savings.

Sounds similar to me - just using OTA and free stuff, using a home theater PC and streaming devices connected to TV. I have free Peacock Premium, but it ends soon.

But my Xfinity is only 75 Mbps with same 1.2 TB data cap is $52/mo, and I'm using all my own equipment and have auto billing. It would cost me $18/mo more to get gigabit with that same cap assuming I could still use my own equipment as well.

My highest data usage in the last seven months was about 270 GB, but the other six months were each less than half that.

The most I ever paid for cable TV was probably $40/mo many years back. I was only paying about $14/mo for a very basic cable package when I cut the cord in 2013. I've never spent a cent for streaming, but I might at some point now that I'm no longer employed.

My highest data usage in the last seven months was about 270 GB, but the other six months were each less than half that

Sounds good. I download lots of TV Series and the odd movie, then I store them on my media player hard drives rather than stream, that takes a lot of bandwidth.

Lots of Options

The most I ever paid for cable TV was probably $40/mo many years back. I was only paying about $14/mo for a very basic cable package when I cut the cord in 2013. I've never spent a cent for streaming said:
Check out Pluto TV and other free offerings; there are plenty of ways to see free movies and TV shows, but you have to deal with some ads. Not too bad, though.

Anyone throwing away their tvs and getting bigger ones? Deflation is alive and well in TV land. I just bought a nice 86in LG for a bit over a grand, and I have seen 85 in ones under $900 now. Who needs glasses with that monster right in front of you!

Anyone throwing away their tvs and getting bigger ones? Deflation is alive and well in TV land. I just bought a nice 86in LG for a bit over a grand, and I have seen 85 in ones under $900 now. Who needs glasses with that monster right in front of you!
You might need sunglasses!

Please keep this thread on topic.

Amazon is offering Prime Members: Select 2-Month Streaming Services on Prime Video Channels on sale $0.99/Month for 2-Months.

Available Streaming Services:

Starz Streaming Service
Britbox Streaming Service
Cinemax Streaming Service
PBS Masterpiece Streaming Service
PBS Kids Streaming Service
PBS Documentaries Streaming Service
ViX Premium Streaming Service
A&E Crime Central Streaming Service
StreanPix Streaming Service
Hallmark Movie Now Streaming Service
Lifetime Movie Club Streaming Service
Acorn TV Streaming Service
Noggin Streaming Service
AllBLK Streaming Service
$0.99 for 2-Months

Offer valid for Amazon Prime Members only. Offer valid through July 12, 2023 or while promotion last

Amazon is offering Prime Members: Select 2-Month Streaming Services on Prime Video Channels on sale $0.99/Month for 2-Months.

Available Streaming Services:

Starz Streaming Service
Britbox Streaming Service
Cinemax Streaming Service
PBS Masterpiece Streaming Service
PBS Kids Streaming Service
PBS Documentaries Streaming Service
ViX Premium Streaming Service
A&E Crime Central Streaming Service
StreanPix Streaming Service
Hallmark Movie Now Streaming Service
Lifetime Movie Club Streaming Service
Acorn TV Streaming Service
Noggin Streaming Service
AllBLK Streaming Service
$0.99 for 2-Months

Offer valid for Amazon Prime Members only. Offer valid through July 12, 2023 or while promotion last

Weird this thread did not show up on the 1st page of my feed (i had to go digging for it) - comment was posted late last night and I was browsing early this morning (I like to keep up on this thread and was specifically looking for a deal on Acorn)

Then react with your feet, assuming you are a customer, if not you are smart. ...... CANCEL Them! Only then will they learn.
I am but only for the Black Friday $1.99 a month add supported tier.
I have all I need on Pluto and Roku Channel and a few other free sites. I simply don't watch that much TV, it's just background noise and what I do watch is mostly British TV.

I'm addicted to PlutoTV* and slowly jettisoning everything else. Now that they added the Drew Carey "The Price is Right", I'm set. I can watch TPIR all day, either with Bob or Drew. (I may have a problem.)

Disney+: gone
Netflix: gone
Discovery+: gone
ESPN+: gone

I have Prime mostly for the shipping. Video comes along. I have basic Hulu. I'm thinking about that one. Also have Max which comes with AT&T (grandfathered), but they just raised the price and it is making Google Fiber look better all the time.

* - My only problem with PlutoTV are some of the strange ads. The current ad that animates pubic hairs (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP) is, uh, not to my liking.

Last edited:
I stopped watching several streaming services with ads when the grands visit. Often I just don’t go back for whatever reason. We have a local lady radio personality who has made a fortune in radio just by playing music you don’t have to turn off when the kids are around. The sappy love songs helped, also. Delilah. Yea, really.

Disney+: gone
Netflix: gone
Discovery+: gone
ESPN+: gone

I have Prime mostly for the shipping. Video comes along. I have basic Hulu. I'm thinking about that one. Also have Max which comes with AT&T (grandfathered), but they just raised the price and it is making Google Fiber look better all the time.

* - My only problem with PlutoTV are some of the strange ads. The current ad that animates pubic hairs (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP) is, uh, not to my liking.

We almost mirror our offerings. Got rid of Disney+ a year ago (Mandalorian was very disappointing; Boba Fett was worse), Netflix went this year, kept Prime for all the reasons you detailed, love Pluto, and just recently signed up for NFL+ Premium. As a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan who doesn't live near Cleveland, I can watch any NFL game in its entirety immediately after it concludes. I'm not hung up on watching the Browns live so that it good enough for me, and the price for a year was great in my estimation.

I haven't seen the Pluto ad you mentioned. I suppose as long as they weren't demonstrating I would be okay with it. Then again, depending on the model, I would probably be very okay with it.

It will be interesting to see what Hulu does with the Black Friday deal. There is a lot of free content out there. I’m not married to any of the streaming services. There must be 50 ways to leave…

Whoops, forgot I still have Paramount+. Probably will drop now that Star Trek stuff is done for a while. Maybe a long while due to strikes.

With Disney getting serious about finances, it will be very interesting to see what they do.

The "respect your junk" commercial is not a cartoon and it gets pretty close to demonstrating what his hand is doing with that razor down in his nether region.
Roku claims that the commercials are playing on the channel you're watching and they are only rebroadcasting for example Buzzfeed, Game Show Network, Paramount and others. The complaints actually need to be sent to Proctor and Gamble.
I agree that putting these nasty commercials on at noon in the middle of the Beverly Hillbillies would be offensive to parents with children watching as some have complained about.
There is another one for female suppositories that is also causing viewer fury and it looks like these commercials have been around for a while.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ith-Princess-Nokia-to-Inspire-You-to-SayPubic

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom