US to Canada for Holiday Ski Trip

tulak

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last year, I went with my kids to Canada for a week long ski trip after Christmas through the New Year. We had a blast and are trying to do the same this year. But due to CV, I’m not sure it’s going to happen. I think I’m about to bail on the trying to make this trip happen, but I’m curious to know what others think.

Right now, I have a place booked through Airbnb for the week. The place is not cancellable, but the owner said they would offer a full refund if we were unable to cross the border or if the ski resort is closed.

This week, I received an e-mail from the ski resort that they are limiting access to the mountain and you have to make a reservation in order to ski on specific days. I think for some in my party, this might be ok, but there are others that were planning to buy lift tickets and I have a feeling they’ll be out of luck.

Plus, the US/Canada border is closed. I’m starting to think that the border will stay closed for the rest of the year.

I’ve been waiting until the beginning of September to make a decision, since that’s when we need to buy the ski passes. At this point, I think I’m being too optimistic in expecting this trip to happen.

I’m thinking if I should contact the Airbnb host and see if they want to cancel the reservation now. This gives them a few months to find somebody else to rent their place, which would be easier than a last minute cancellation.

I’d probably also bail on the ski passes, even though they can be used in the US, a majority of the locations are too far from us and with the reservation system they’re using, it’s probably not worth it. This might mean we write off the ski season for this year.

What do others think about the US/Canada border opening this year for tourists? And for skiers, are you still committing to a seasons pass this year?

Personally, I don't think they will open the border before the end of the year, as we're nowhere near getting the spread under control, but if I were you I'd also wait and see, I usually try to wait as late as I can to make a decision in case there's more data available.

I have an IKON pass. Not planning to go to Canada. Have not committed to anywhere yet. If the IKON pass is not used, I can roll it over to next year. It's a wait and see right now. I'm not going anywhere that I may or may not get to ski at if they have a reservation/lottery system that includes pass holders.

I don't think they are going to open the border for leisurely trips unless the numbers in the US get much better. Not sure if that will happen by the end of the year...

+1 We typically regularly golf in Quebec in the summer... obviously not this year... miss it. Why not just plan to ski in the US this year?

I love our Canadian ski resorts but if I were an American I would be planning something in the US if I were planning anything at all this winter. I would be surprised if border were open this year and with public opinion where it is I doubt that any politician on the Canadian side will be keen to be the one opening it until numbers improve dramatically.

I have an IKON pass. Not planning to go to Canada. Have not committed to anywhere yet. If the IKON pass is not used, I can roll it over to next year. It's a wait and see right now. I'm not going anywhere that I may or may not get to ski at if they have a reservation/lottery system that includes pass holders.

I looked at the IKON pass. Wow, it's more expensive than the EPIC pass, which is what we usually buy. I seem to recall that IKON was cheaper last year, but maybe I'm not remembering right?

Since last year was cancelled early, we have a discount on EPIC passes this year. It would be a shame to not use the credit, but I'm not sure how much use we'll get out of the pass, even though there is a local ski resort where we it can be used.

I don't think they are going to open the border for leisurely trips unless the numbers in the US get much better. Not sure if that will happen by the end of the year...

I love our Canadian ski resorts but if I were an American I would be planning something in the US if I were planning anything at all this winter. I would be surprised if border were open this year and with public opinion where it is I doubt that any politician on the Canadian side will be keen to be the one opening it until numbers improve dramatically.

This is my thinking too. I don't think Canadians are excited to have Americans visit anytime soon and it's good to have confirmation from some of the Canadians on the forum.

+1 We typically regularly golf in Quebec in the summer... obviously not this year... miss it. Why not just plan to ski in the US this year?

The problem is, where?

We've been going to Whistler, which is an easy drive for us and great skiing/village. If we go with an EPIC pass, then that's about our only option, unless we want to drive 12+ hours or fly, which we don't want to do (there's a lot of us, along with all of our gear). IKON could be interesting, since that gives us a local resort with great skiing, but lodging options at that ski resort are limited (no village). Plus, this is all during the Holiday break, which is a busy time.

For these types of trips, I prefer to have ski in/out lodgings (or close to it) and unfortunately, there aren't that many options for us in this area. I've been thinking that maybe we'd need to deal with a 30-40 minute drive to the lifts, but then we can run into problems with access if you need reservations.

It could be that this year we bail on getting a pass and only visit the local ski resorts when they are less busy.

.... I would be surprised if border were open this year and with public opinion where it is I doubt that any politician on the Canadian side will be keen to be the one opening it until numbers improve dramatically.

Funny thing... we feel the same way about Quebec. :D

We currently have 107 active cases per million in my county... Quebec is ~146 active cases per million.... but seriously, both are low enough that travel would be safe... the threshold for cross-state travel for Vermont is less than 400 active cases per million.... IOW, we can travel to a neighboring county with less than 400 active cases per million and not have to self quarantine for 14 days when we return... or someone visiting from one of those counties that is less than 400 active cases per million is not asked to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arriving.

Last edited:
Vermont, of course. Jay Peak is nice, ski in/out of the hotel at the base and enjoy the indoor waterpark.

Only a non-stop 2 day drive. I think we’d be better off with Idaho or Utah. [emoji2]

I looked at the IKON pass. Wow, it's more expensive than the EPIC pass, which is what we usually buy. I seem to recall that IKON was cheaper last year, but maybe I'm not remembering right?

Since last year was cancelled early, we have a discount on EPIC passes this year. It would be a shame to not use the credit, but I'm not sure how much use we'll get out of the pass, even though there is a local ski resort where we it can be used.
I don't remember the pricing of the two at the time I bought them. I thought they were fairly close. We went with IKON because it includes Snowshoe, where we drive to for occasional day or short stay trips. My idea is to switch between the two from year to year. The reason I didn't this year is so my GF could buy early and use it at Snowshoe last spring as well as all of this year or next year, depending on whether we defer.

Funny thing... we feel the same way about Quebec. :D We currently have 107 active cases per million in my county... Quebec is ~146 active cases per million.... but seriously, both are low enough that travel would be safe... the threshold for cross-state travel for Vermont is less than 400 active cases per million.... IOW, we can travel to a neighboring county with less than 400 active cases per million and not have to self quarantine for 14 days when we return... or someone visiting from one of those counties that is less than 400 active cases per million is not asked to self-quarantine for 14 days upon arriving.

Very good point. Canadians generalize just as much as Americans but there is no getting around the point that Quebec is a hotbed.

If it makes the OP feel any better, there are a lot of us this side of the border that would love to travel south too. I had hoped to go to the Georgia coast for a month this winter as we often do. I just know it isn't going to happen.

Very good point. Canadians generalize just as much as Americans but there is no getting around the point that Quebec is a hotbed.

To be fair, I think Quebec was a hotbed but the recent statistics seem to suggest that they currently have it under control.

They have these things called airplanes these days....

6 people, lots of gear, plus I've been avoiding flying. If I was to fly, it'd be easier to go somewhere warm. Less stuff to take.

If it makes the OP feel any better, there are a lot of us this side of the border that would love to travel south too. I had hoped to go to the Georgia coast for a month this winter as we often do. I just know it isn't going to happen.

Due to bizarre rules, you can fly down to Georgia, just not drive.
Getting back into Canada will work as long as you are a citizen of Canada.

OP - My guess is the border will remain closed, as it's expected with Flu season and everyone indoors, the cases and death rates will spike.

Hopefully you can get a refund, I decided I'm not booking anything anywhere until close to when I go and/or it's fully refundable.

Even if the border reopens, I can't see the mandatory 14-day quarantine period being removed by then. That would put a damper on your vacation.

Even if the border reopens, I can't see the mandatory 14-day quarantine period being removed by then. That would put a damper on your vacation.

Good point !
They are serious about it up there, some folks driving to Alaska didn't really believe they couldn't stop in National Parks along the way. Lead to large fines.

Look at the covid situation for countries that are allowed to visit Canada. When we look like that we can visit too.

I have the Epic pass, and will keep getting it because the military discount is huge. With this year's rebate it's even cheaper.
Looked at their site recently and saw that all their places will be using a reservation system this year so not too many people are on the mountain at once. Makes sense.

Tough choice! I wonder if any of the ski resorts would offer 100% moneyback if the border restrictions continue? They must be hurting as well.

I wish I could get an Epic pass with a military discount, especially when I'm buying 3 passes!

I will probably not buy an Epic pass, even though I have a couple of weeks to think about it. It might be worthwhile if the border opens after the New Year. Maybe take a Whistler trip in March?

But for now, I cancelled our reservation for Whistler. Another big plug for Airbnb. The host didn't have a 100% cancellation, but when I made the booking, they agreed to refund me the full amount if I wasn't able to make the trip. I let them know that I was going to cancel, they said no problem, and Airbnb took care of the cancellation and refunded me the full amount.

So now I have no plans for New Years. I'll look at something in the US, maybe 3-4 days in the mountains close to home. We might not get a chance to ski, but at least we can hang out and hopefully enjoy some snow.

I live 20 miles south of the US/Canada border in WA.

Two days ago I heard on Canada's version of NPR (CBC) that the US border was not expected to open until US Thanksgiving - ie end of November.

But 3 weeks ago they hoped to open the border on Sept 21.

British Columbia has been VERY strict with border closings, mask laws, etc. I would not book a winter vacation in BC.

A neighbor had Air Canada tickets to leave from Vancouver airport and attend a conference in Montreal last March. The flight was cancelled. She never got her money back. She only has the ability to book another flight on Air Canada.

She also goes to Mexico every Spring and flies out of Vancouver via Air Canada. No refund - just a credit toward a future Air Canada flight. So no vacation for her this year - not even a Staycation. Her money is tied up in Air Canada.

Back
Top Bottom