USB-A to USB-C for ipad

Sounds like you're unusually tough on the cables; I've almost never had an Apple cable fail. There are braided cables available which are much more robust, so you probably ought to look for one.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-MacBook-Galaxy-Charger/dp/B088NRLMPV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=braided+usb+c+cable&qid=1666274717&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjMzIiwicXNhIjoiNC45OCIsInFzcCI6IjQuNzUifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-3

That’s what I’m doing, but I don’t want a USB C to USB C…can’t use that in my car that has a USB A port and also don’t want to carry around that bulky transformer since most hotels have USB A lamps and desks.

We’ve had a large number of Apple devices an used their cables and this has not been our experience - no fraying, no breaking near the end. Do you pull on the cable or pull on the connected when you disconnect the cable?
pull on the connector

Listen folks, I can see that some of you like the Apple cables…and that’s fine…but they are not durable enough FOR US. Maybe it’s because we use them a lot for travel and are constantly winding them up tightly in DW’s handbag or in the car center console…we are very active people…but we refuse to buy them.

Sorry - I guess my iPad is out of date. Need to BTD I guess...

I use Anker and Apple cables and have never had an issue.

For USB-C to USB-A devices, I use an Apple adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

I have a couple of these and they work fine.

I don’t use USB-A for charging. I would recommend only USB-C since it’ll charge quicker.

I use both Anker and Apple USB-C power adapters. A favorite of mine that I use regularly, for both an iPad and MacBook, is Anker’s Nano 30W. It’s slower for the MacBook, but works great for travel since it’s small.

https://www.anker.com/products/a2147?ref=seriesProduct&variant=42089534750870

pull on the connector

Listen folks, I can see that some of you like the Apple cables…and that’s fine…but they are not durable enough FOR US. Maybe it’s because we use them a lot for travel and are constantly winding them up tightly in DW’s handbag or in the car center console…we are very active people…but we refuse to buy them.
The winding up tightly is the likely cause.

I wind cables too for travel, but loosely not tightly. We travel a lot with various devices.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m doing, but I don’t want a USB C to USB C…can’t use that in my car that has a USB A port and also don’t want to carry around that bulky transformer since most hotels have USB A lamps and desks.

There is an option for that as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Pack-Premium-Charging-Samsung/dp/B07DC5PPFV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=braided+usb+c+cable&qid=1666274717&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjMzIiwicXNhIjoiNC45OCIsInFzcCI6IjQuNzUifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

And yes, winding them too tightly is always a bad idea,

Sorry, that’s just not true.

USB C refers to the physical connector. It’s a great physical connector - especially since there is not “wrong way” to plug it in.

Cables that use USB C provide power, data (including video) and this is defined by the USB and Thunderbolt specifications. Frankly these specs are a mess and lead to confusion. (For USB pay attention to USB number, not USB letter - so USB 4.0 vs USB C)

If all you care about is charging you need to make sure the USB C cable you buy provides enough wattage. If it doesn’t, the device won’t charge or will charge very slowly.

To be safe look for USB C cables that are "USB-IF certified”. This is a new certification to assure people that the cables will provide power a given level. They should say what wattage they provide.

If you care about data transfer too - hooking up a disk, a SSD, or video display, then you need to make sure the cable supports the needed data speeds and protocols. That’s a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Finally don’t buy cheapo (no name) cables. You’ll be sorry.

Stick with: Amazon Basics, Belkin, Anker, Monoprice, or device manufacturers (HP, Dell, Apple, etc.)

Good advice. In short, the specs are a mess. My Framework laptop charges via USB-C, and it's not Thunderbolt certified yet, but people on the support forums said they were using it successfully with Thunderbolt docking stations. They are trying to get certification, so it should be compatible, but they just haven't been able to complete the process yet. And I just bought a ring light (USB-A), and when I plugged it in I got a power surge warning from my computer! I have the Ampere app on my phone so I know which USB-A ports are low power and which are high power, but that was disappointing, I gave it a poor review because there are no power specifications or warnings about having to use certain ports.

I bought some adapter plugs that I can connect to the device end of an Apple lighting cable. Using that adapter plug, I can charge my USB-C iPad. My understanding is that data transfer may not work with these adaptors, but power flows through it and charges my iPad. You can also get adaptors that go the opposite way to use a USB-C cable to charge a lightning device.

https://www.amazon.com/ARKTEK-USB-C-Adapter-Support-Charging/

I don’t have the new generation of Apple devices…yet but my BFF does. She bought all new cords for the USB-C connector and then found out her USB-A cords still work with the new generation.
So she took the new cords back.
I’m not sure how that works and wondered if others have done this.

I concur that the Apple cords are crap. The fray too easily at the connector end. I also like various sizes depending on where they are located. I buy Anker braided cords and they last much much longer.

I also recommend Anker. Not only do I think they make a good product, when I had an issue with one of their chargers, their customer service was great. They really wanted to know what was going on and had me ship the product back to them. They sent me a replacement without any BS. Good company in my experience.

I use adapters like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-...ocphy=9003805&hvtargid=pla-636721944170&psc=1

Theyre cheap enough that you can leave the adapter plugged in, say in the car, and get on with life.

If you've mentioned these already, I apologize.

I use Anker and Apple cables and have never had an issue.

For USB-C to USB-A devices, I use an Apple adapter: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

I have a couple of these and they work fine.

I don’t use USB-A for charging. I would recommend only USB-C since it’ll charge quicker.

I use both Anker and Apple USB-C power adapters. A favorite of mine that I use regularly, for both an iPad and MacBook, is Anker’s Nano 30W. It’s slower for the MacBook, but works great for travel since it’s small.

https://www.anker.com/products/a2147?ref=seriesProduct&variant=42089534750870

Well, I hate to have to carry around the transformer, but if I do...that one looks like at least a smaller option. We shall see, thanks!

I bought some adapter plugs that I can connect to the device end of an Apple lighting cable. Using that adapter plug, I can charge my USB-C iPad. My understanding is that data transfer may not work with these adaptors, but power flows through it and charges my iPad. You can also get adaptors that go the opposite way to use a USB-C cable to charge a lightning device.

https://www.amazon.com/ARKTEK-USB-C-Adapter-Support-Charging/

I have a small usb-c to lightning connecter end that I pop onto my USB-C cable end for charging. That’s very handy for travel as I don’t have to switch out the cable to my charger for phone versus iPad.

A few years ago I spent quite a bit of time with a USB ammeter testing various chargers and cables. I no longer do this because I have found that Anker is very trustworthy; supplies deliver what's promised, and cables have heavy enough wires that they'll carry the amperage needed. I also found that Monoprice cables were very good as long as I stuck with their heavier gauge charging cables. So I just stay with those two brands.

USB-C is getting to be a bit of a specifications swamp because various flavors deliver different power levels. IMO the only solution is to read the fine print if one wants absolute max charging rates. Rated input power to the device must be equal or less than output power of its charger. Again, though, I would only trust Anker to deliver what is promised.

Sounds like you have identified the problem.

pull on the connector

Sounds like you have identified the problem.

That does nothing for his cable issue. His iPad is already using USB-C. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom