Vanguard Energy

veritasophia

Recycles dryer sheets
I would like some exposure to commodities and I'd rather keep all of my investments with VG. Do you think the VG energy fund (VGENX) is appropriate? Are many of its holdings included in other funds, such as S&P 500, Lg. Cap. Value...?

Here's what Vgenx has done since 1999 - pretty good even considering the
down years of 2001-2002
1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 12-06
Total Return % 21.0 36.4 -2.6 -0.6 33.8 36.7 44.6 19.7
Beta = .99
I suppose it's appropriate to invest with this fund, although I don't have any money in it (I do have my IRA with Vang.).

Don't know if it's appropriate for you or not, but the last time I checked that fund requires a minimum initial deposit of $25,000.

I've owned that fund and it's done well for me (so far), but I'm taking a hold position on it right now.

didn't notice the minimum requirement, wow!,
the key words are "so far" it's done well, but who knows the future? not me.

retire@40 said:
Don't know if it's appropriate for you or not, but the last time I checked that fund requires a minimum initial deposit of $25,000.
Didn't see that either. It will be a while before I can afford it. Thanks!

Can anyone suggest any other funds that would fulfill a "commodities asset class" requirement in accordance with Clyatt's theories?

I tried to get into one of the funds that he suggested (PCRIX) but it was closed.

ScaredtoQuit said:
Can anyone suggest any other funds that would fulfill a "commodities asset class" requirement in accordance with Clyatt's theories?

DJP

We took the plunge with VGENX a few months ago. The $25K was stiff, and obviously would have preferred getting in a few years ago ... but I feel good about the additional exposure. It's up, it's down ... it's commodities ... generally been a winner for us, though a big drop would not shock me ... we'd just DCA in a bit more.

I can tell you this ... when you have even just a little dedicated oil investment, those gas price increases at the pump don't feel so bad. ;)

Different subject, but I wish Vanguard would open up their health care fund. Thinking of DCA'ing into their REIT soon ... which will of course trigger a sell off / decline. ;)

diversify!

nords helped me overcome my fears...

THANKS NORDS! 8)

This fund has averaged 16.5% over the last 10 years. A very good return when compared with 8.3% in the S&P 500. We use this fund to offset the increased
cost of diesel for our motorhome.

We also invest in the Vanguard Health Care fund for the same reason, up 16.4% over the last 10 years.

Dave

ScaredtoQuit said:

I tried to get into one of the funds that he suggested (PCRIX) but it was closed.

Where do you see that PCRIX is closed?

ats5g said:
Where do you see that PCRIX is closed?

Maybe I am mistaken. I remember that when I investigated his suggestions one of the funds was closed to new investors and one had too high of a minimum requirement for me. Maybe PCRIX is the one that had the really high minimum requirement.

I'm in VGENX and also holding.

I get additional commodity exposure via DBC, Deutsche Bank Commodity ETF. It's an index tracking fund composed of futures contracts on six physical commodities: light sweet crude oil (35%), heating oil (20%), aluminum (12.5%), corn (11.25%), wheat (11.25%), and gold (10%).

Expect lots of volatility but it seems to be an inexpensive way to have direct commodities exposure, beyond the oil and gas companies in VGENX.

ScaredtoQuit said:
Maybe PCRIX is the one that had the really high minimum requirement.

Purchased directly, PCRIX has a high minimum. Bought through a broker like vanguard, its got a fairly low minimum.

When I had VGENX and gas was popping over three bucks a gallon, I used to tell my wife after filling up "its okay, we made 38k on our energy holdings last year..."

Note than both Energy and Health are available as Vanguard ETFs (VDE for Energy, VHT for health). There is no minimum purchase for these (obviously if you buy too low an amount the stock trading commission will be significant).

Make sure you check the ETF to see if it matches the vanguard fund of a similar name or tracks a passive index. IIRC the energy and health etf's track an index and are not etf equivalents of the actively managed vanguard funds.

The indexing piece may be part of the reason why the fees are lower, but both the indexing and lower fees may be part of the attraction.

Just dont mistake that you're buying an ETF version of the actual fund, just at a lower cost and minimum.

Veritasophia said:
I would like some exposure to commodities and I'd rather keep all of my investments with VG. Do you think the VG energy fund (VGENX) is appropriate? Are many of its holdings included in other funds, such as S&P 500, Lg. Cap. Value...?
Energy represents 9.63% of the index components in the S&P 500. In addition to VGENX, you can always open a brokerage account with Vanguard so that you can access commodities ETFs.

Back
Top Bottom