Viking Cruises - help me decide.

Flyfish1

Recycles dryer sheets
We are presently booked for a Viking River cruise: Lyon, Provence and the Rhineland. Thing is, we have driven along the Rhine a few years ago and feel like we have seen several of the highlights that Viking is going too. Plus , we have been to France before, although not that area. So, is that really a good choice? It's easy to transfer to another Viking cruise apparently. I don't want to cancel as I would lose $2000.

Secondly, our planned Tauck tour to Scotland/England is now being changed to a Croatia trip also with Tauck, simply because some travel friends invited us to join them and they are great people. I have never been to the UK despite being of English heritage. But we just got back from Aus/NZ and now I am determined to get to all 7 continents soon. We just have Asia and Africa left. I know, first world problems for sure...So do we transfer our Viking cruise to Japan? Is that really a good way to see Japan? Viking also has a British Isles Explorer cruise, but my wife was not very excited about that. Do we delay the UK for a few years since it is really an easy flight from the East Coast and focus on the big 7 continents goal? Sorry if this is a bit confusing, but appreciate any input.

Answer depends a bit on your budget and available time.
But I see nothing wrong with doing all of the above over next twelve months...

Ah yes..fair point. We are budgeted to one big trip per year. Right now Croatia 2025, Viking somewhere 2026.

The UK is easy to do on your own using trains to get around, and the tube in London. Takes a bit of research but with a good smartphone, you're all set...

Would a trip on the Nile check off Africa for you? Or are you looking for something further south? Viking has Nile cruises.

I've only been on two river cruises, but I liked both of them. Both were in Europe; one was Grand Circle and the other was Viking.

Viking has approximately a jillion European river cruises - different rivers, different countries, different destinations, different lengths, different times of year. So if the area of France doesn't appeal to you (for good reason), I would be inclined to switch it to another European Viking river cruise. I'm sure they're all good but I enjoyed a Danube trip that started somewhere in southern Germany and ended in Budapest.

I'm not a travel expert, but I think Japan and the UK would both be better served by a land-based trip.

I've only been on two river cruises, but I liked both of them. Both were in Europe; one was Grand Circle and the other was Viking.

Viking has approximately a jillion European river cruises - different rivers, different countries, different destinations, different lengths, different times of year. So if the area of France doesn't appeal to you (for good reason), I would be inclined to switch it to another European Viking river cruise. I'm sure they're all good but I enjoyed a Danube trip that started somewhere in southern Germany and ended in Budapest.

I'm not a travel expert, but I think Japan and the UK would both be better served by a land-based trip.
My gut says you are right - both those destinations seem like a land tour would be better.

I recently took a cruise around Japan, but not with Viking. It was great but I think a land tour would have been better. I came home wishing that I had more time to explore Japan.

Ahhh...interesting idea. Could work!
If you're just box-checking, a Nile trip certainly could check the Africa box. But having been to Africa seven times I think I can tell you with authority that neither Egypt nor Morocco are Africa. Neither is Cape Town, for that matter.

If you're just box-checking, a Nile trip certainly could check the Africa box. But having been to Africa seven times I think I can tell you with authority that neither Egypt nor Morocco are Africa. Neither is Cape Town, for that matter.
Dunno, both Egypt and Morocco are authentic places, tho I've not been to Egypt yet.
South Africa is legit also, but I agree that parts of Cape Town resemble a large shopping mall in the US.

But Zimbabwe........now we're talking...

I would for sure not do Japan via cruise, unless it was my eleventieth time going there. While Tokyo has a port, it's a huge sprawling city and takes at least a few days to hit up the slimmest of lists.

Kyoto is your 2nd must-see, and that's inland.

UK... eh maybe, in the summer, but that's some rough sea and weather can be iffy. I would not want to be in the North Sea on a boat if you like standing upright.

We did a NZ/Australia cruise with Viking last year, and just returned from Trade Routes with them. I also want to “hit” Africa so we are booked on Malta and Morocco next spring. That gets us 5 of 7, need to find a trip to Peru for South America

... But Zimbabwe........now we're talking...
WADR, Zim is not a place I would recommend. It has never recovered from Robert Mugabe, who ruined the economy years ago. They do have animals, yes, but none that more stable and pleasant countries do not also have.

For a first trip I would recommend southern Africa, places like Greater Kruger Park, Botswana, and Etosha in Namibia. For a second trip I would recommend the Great Migration in Tanzania and Kenya. That is a bit rougher trip IMO and pretty much duplicates the animals in the South. But seeing thousands of wildebeest and zebras on the move is amazing. They say the total migration is 2-3 million animals.

Shameless plug for a guide who has become a good friend: Travel with Bushbaby Safaris

Ahhh...interesting idea. Could work!
We did the Viking Nile trip and really felt we got great value. It was right after Covid so any travelers were welcomed with open arms. Not sure if still true but we had armed guards with us at ALL times--discrete but very present.
If go, be sure not to overlook Jordan extension---Petra & Nabateans civilization every bit as interesting. Please free to ping me if you wish details. Hopefully the new Egyptian Museum will be open.

My gut says you are right - both those destinations seem like a land tour would be better.
In UK try a really land based tour and walk the Cotswold. You walk from village to village and they move your bag for you. We did it last year and it was amazing! No buses, trains once you get to your kick off point?.. you can call a taxi if it gets too much and sometimes they can rescue you. Otherwise put on your rain poncho and keep going!

Back
Top Bottom