Volunteers Taken Advantage Of

I volunteered for Habitat for Humanity -- my observation of too many "single" women getting low cost houses while their lazy boyfriends sat on their azzes, and all the while I worked for free. :mad:

Yep. Sad to say that I was soured when reroofing a low income house in Florida while teenagers were playing video games in the air conditioning.

I still volunteer a lot but on a more controlled basis, mostly for veterans and youth development.

btw I also agree that the OP handled this situation very well.

I volunteer DIY renos and repairs for friends and family and have more than enough to keep me busy without taking on additional work for an organization.

This is why i have not done any volunteer work as of yet. I am not a joiner to begin with and I don't want to be in a worse situation than when I was working.

I go to a training Thursday night which makes sense and then work Saturday afternoon. My husband is working many days getting stuff ready but he’s enjoying it. If I don’t like volunteering this year I won’t do it again.

I consider my career as a nurse as volunteering enough. I did help out at the school when my children were young.

I have zero plans to volunteer in retirement. Those who enjoy volunteering should.

But there will always be "politics" when working with others....no thank you.

What I see is that there are a small handful of volunteers who do everything, not because they wish to be in charge, but because nobody else will do it. Then they burn out and walk away with nobody coming in to fill the void.

Yep, my story. I volunteered for three years for an organization that put on a show and seminar each year. Another man an I did 90% of the work to get these done. Everyone enjoyed attending the show and taking the seminars. One year I decided to ask the 62 members for one volunteer to help with one job. I asked at a meeting where all 62 were present. Not one person volunteered. At that point I knew I wasn't going to do anything for the next show and seminar, and I didn't. Haven't helped since that day. Oddly enough, the other man also bowed out that year.

I personally determine my limits when volunteering. I express those completely and if what I am willing to supply doesn't meet the organization's need, I bow out.

Yes, I did have to ghost one organization that I had volunteered before retiring in a location different than where I now live. That organization didn't want to take no thank you, we are not compatible for an answer.

Only I can let myself be taken advantage of, and I had enough of that nonsense when I worked.

I have served in numerous volunteer organizations and capacities. It seems that there is hardly ever enough volunteers regardless of the organization.

If a volunteer keeps saying yes they will keep getting scheduled and will get asked to do even more. Simple as that. “No” is a perfectly reasonable, acceptable response...

I ain't volunteering for nothing.

I ain't working for dough, it'll be a cold day before I work for nothing.

We just are in the early stages of putting together a volunteer group for a small town. Another guy and me have had one work night so far and had 9 participants volunteer there time.

We have a list of about 25 people and they get an email each week with the place, day and time to meet. It has been a group project and helps the community and is a great way to meet and have some social connections and fun with people. A win, win deal for the community and all involved.

This world runs on a lot of volunteer help and is very rewarding when one can help.

Actually this thread makes me appreciate the volunteer work I do.

Have an office shared with 2 other volunteers I get along with, we set our own hours, pretty much come up with our own tasks, have no schedule pressure, have the opportunity to be creative, do useful stuff/feel appreciated, regularly meet with senior management, and have some nice perks.

An added bonus is the work I do is different from what I did during my career, with entirely different cohorts of people. I guess I got lucky, which I had not fully realized.

I volunteered on town boards, bu they were child's play compared to being a historical society president. Four years and 1000 volunteer hours later I passed it on to another person to run. I stayed as a support person for my friend who was now president. Currently, I am membership chair of another group, but plan to leave when my term is up in 18 months. The current president want me to be the next president, but I told her I like being involved as I am and not leading the group. I will then take a break from volunteering after this current gig and focus just on being retired for a while. I've finally learned to set boundaries.

For me, volunteering gives great fulfillment to my soul. For example, working with dementia patients at a music event and seeing them light up and smile for the first time in months. I understand it isn't for everyone, and that's OK. Note also I am childless, so perhaps a little pain/reward from volunteering fills a void many have had filled years ago.

The nice thing about that is I can leave it. Usually the volunteer gig won't come back at me and live in my basement and eat my food. :) Perhaps that is the point of this thread. For some, it does just that.

I won't work on gigs where I don't get along with others or the leaders. Had enough of that at paid work.

I'm about to embark on a gig requiring travel (hurricane relief, people still hurting from last fall). I have no idea what to expect. Not sure if I'll be working on a home with kids playing videogames or not. Not sure if the conditions will be abusive. We'll see, and I'll make my choice for the future from this experience.

I won't work on gigs where I don't get along with others or the leaders. Had enough of that at paid work.

I do a fair amount of volunteer work because I feel blessed that I was able to retire at 61 and am still in excellent health and solvent enough to enjoy extensive travel. It's on my terms, though. I have zero tolerance for meetings that go on and on, with no timed agenda and lengthy off-topic discussions. Now I just say, "I've got to get going" and leave. Just yesterday I turned down the position of District Finance Manager for Toastmasters. I LOVE Toastmasters but held that position 8 years ago and, as DH wisely put it, "You're not working for the members- you're working for the bureaucracy". (Example: EVERY check, even if it's for $7.50, needs the signatures of two specific officers. I spent a ridiculous amount of time signing checks and snail-mailing them to the other officer with an addressed, stamped envelope so they could sign it and send it on to the recipient.) It looked like the bureaucracy hadn't changed so I said no.

Oh, and if you want to GUARANTEE you'll be stuck with something, say, "If you can't find anyone else to do it, I'll do it.":D

Like someone else posted earlier, the extent of my volunteering is offering my "handyman" skills to friends and family.

But, even that comes with its share of problems...people wanting me to do something, not because they don't have the required skills or knowledge, but because they're too lazy. Or people who won't even do basic work to get ready for me. For example, I replaced a bad electrical plug and installed a new light fixture for a relative but when I showed up they hadn't even bothered to clean so I had to spend 20 minutes helping them empty a room full of junk before I could start working. :mad:

Oh, and if you want to GUARANTEE you'll be stuck with something, say, "If you can't find anyone else to do it, I'll do it.":D
^^ Absolute truth! Don't utter those words. I've made that mistake before.

I think I'm done with board service, or shall I call it "bored" service. This is why I didn't get into management in my career. The long meetings, petty BS, etc. It is mind numbing.

Give me something to build, fix or replace. Let me know how the meeting turned out, I have no desire to be there.

I was gently approached by an employee at my current gig about serving on the non-profit board. I think I must have given off dangerously bad vibes at the subject. It hasn't come up again.:angel:

I do not have these problems volunteering as it is easy for me to say no and be "guilted" into things. But at times I have to run point for my DW, who has a heart of gold for volunteering and sometimes people try to take advantage of her. She likes to cook, and on occasion, after volunteering to provide a certain level of items she has received calls the day before asking if she could provide double (or more) than what they asked her to. She is always afraid that she will hurt the event by not responding to the additional request - but having seen how crazy and exhausted she gets trying to do that additional work at the last minute, I just tell her to make me the "bad" guy and tell them there are things she is working on with me at cannot spare the time.

Being taken advantage of is a choice. It can be as simple as a yes or no answer.

Too many people make excuses or blame others because they have trouble saying what they feel. If you feel taken advantage of just say no. If you are reluctant to do this....then do not complain about being taken advantage of.

DW thought it would be fun to volunteer for a PGA event coming to town. Not so much when she was told she had to pay a $129 fee for event clothing.

Yea, I was thinking of volunteering for the new PGA stop in Detroit. They wanted $79 but you got a hat, shirt and two free passes tot he tournament. It's a good deal for a golf fan depending on the job you get as you get to see the players up close .

Yea, I was thinking of volunteering for the new PGA stop in Detroit. They wanted $79 but you got a hat, shirt and two free passes tot he tournament. It's a good deal for a golf fan depending on the job you get as you get to see the players up close .

How could you volunteer if you don't get the passes ??

So really for $79 you get a hat and shirt.

I tried it at a place that packs food for food pantries. They limit you to two 2 hour shifts a week. They have more volunteers than they can use. The work was mostly things like turning 50lb bags of rice into 1lb bags, a machine could do that. Companies sent teams, schools required volunteer hours, girl scouts came. My skills weren't used or my time helpful so I asked them not to schedule me anymore.

I won’t volunteer for anything that requires me to spend money.

I grew up in a town with two not-for-profit hospitals. Each year, each hospital had a big "fair" to raise money for their efforts (building programs, equipment additions, etc. etc.) Even as a kid, I got roped into the city-wide extravaganzas. BOTH hospitals totally remodeled their buildings to code-of-the day over the years, partially with the proceeds of the fairs (mostly through much higher prices to the consumer.) Virtually the DAY they completed their transition into the 21st century, they literally abandoned their old (now old on the outside but new on the inside) buildings and built new in totally new locations OUTSIDE the city.

During the process, they dumped tons of equipment and materials. Example: 15 tons of scrubs (I know because I helped snag them to be sent to Africa, heh, heh) BECAUSE the labels were now wrong since the hospitals had each changed their names (happened twice during the transition.)

I vowed never again to get involved with a not for profit unless I was directly involved in their work (so, maybe a church, but not a hospital, etc.) YMMV

Back
Top Bottom