Want to live longer? Live at high altitude.

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
[FONT=&quot]Well, maybe it's not so simple but visited Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs CO recently and there was an interesting article in the local paper about the positive (and some negative) effects of living at altitude (>5000') on one’s health. I couldn't find an online link to the newspaper article but did find a study that seems to support some of the claims (link below). Probably not enough studies/data out there yet but interesting reading nonetheless.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Pros to living at altitude:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Lower mortality from cardiovascular diseases, stroke, and certain types of cancer.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- People at higher altitudes on average have a higher life expectancy. The top 3 counties in the US for life expectancy were at high altitudes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Less obesity, people living at near sea level were 4-5X more likely to be obese than those living at significantly higher altitudes. Higher altitudes have been shown to increase the levels of the hormone leptin that controls appetite. Breathing in less oxygen has also been shown to decrease appetite. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cons to living at altitude:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Someone with sleep apnea will likely find that the condition gets worse at higher altitudes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Greater chance of getting skin cancer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Babies born at high altitude (>8000') are typically smaller in size and have to be monitored closely for breathing issues until their lungs more fully develop.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- For those with existing cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, etc. moving to higher altitudes could make the condition worse.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Found this study that discusses the effects of living at altitude.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113517/ [/FONT]

Last edited:
Ok. I know nothing about nothing. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there were some truth to this.

I guess not thinking too much, combined with living at higher altitudes is the holy grail of longevity.

I haven't read the whole article yet but some things appear true. We moved to 7750' and some things are different.

There's not many obese people here. Ones who are, probably tourists*. My blood pressure has risen since moving here from 900'. I've been told sleep apnea is worse bit can't comment.

Interesting they say the chance of stroke is less, it's common for people at altitude to run higher hemoglobin and hematocrit which supposedly can contribute to stroke.

*random observation but is it cause or effect? When I logged my calories every day, pre and post move, my intake didn't change nor did my weight.

ETA: You're tolerance of alcohol is much less at altitude so you drink less.

Last edited:
Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active? Chances are that obese people would see more stairs and hills to navigate, and would just avoid moving there. Maybe an obese person might get more fit moving to the mountains, or their heart might give out in the first month.

Interesting correlation, one I'd not heard of before.

Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active?

Good point, that was mentioned in the newspaper article, there are much fewer people living at altitude (>5K') and maybe it attracts a hardy type of individual but they also stated current studies show it doesn't account for all the differences.

Well, maybe it's not so simple but visited Breckenridge and Steamboat Springs CO recently and there was an interesting article in the local paper about the positive (and some negative) effects of living at altitude (>5000') on one’s health.

"It may be argued that moderate altitudes are more protective than high or even very high altitudes. "

Moderation in everything... even altitude.

Last edited:
I didn't see it mentioned, but I've known people who would not live in the mountains because there is usually a far higher level of radon exposure there. I doubt if it's really significant, but some think so.

Personally, I lived at nearly 7,000 feet for several years when I was younger, and the one effect I noticed was that when I went down to sea level my running performance was much better. Getting all that thick oxygen in my lungs was kind of a treat. The downside was that after a week at sea level, when I went back to altitude it took a couple of weeks to get my conditioning back.

I have a friend that just returned from his second home in Colorado, and he was talking about this issue.

His take is the adverse conditions cause self selection, with the less fit leaving as they get older.

Personally, I lived at nearly 7,000 feet for several years when I was younger, and the one effect I noticed was that when I went down to sea level my running performance was much better. Getting all that thick oxygen in my lungs was kind of a treat. The downside was that after a week at sea level, when I went back to altitude it took a couple of weeks to get my conditioning back.

I live at 5000' in AZ and have no issues jogging 7-8 miles, when I visited Breckenridge (9600') it was a struggle to finish a 4 mile run.

"For those with existing cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure, etc. moving to higher altitudes could make the condition worse"

My sister had a condo in Aspen, and my elderly mother with heart issues went to visit her. She immediately had breathing problems and spent a week in the Aspen Hospital in intensive care. We finally had to fly her home by private jet in severe distress.

This happens very often to visiting elderly people, and the Aspen Hospital's very experienced in treating heart issues due to the altitude and thin air.

Are there fewer obese people there because people who move to the mountains tend to be more active? Chances are that obese people would see more stairs and hills to navigate, and would just avoid moving there. Maybe an obese person might get more fit moving to the mountains, or their heart might give out in the first month.
I truly believe the mountains draw folks who are more in shape. It's a different kind of life, we got our first snow, on the peaks, last night and DW is like a little kid.

Last year at our altitude we received about 12 feet of snow. That's a lot of shoveling if you're not in shape. I frequently see tourists who are suffering from altitude sickness. Our neighbor moved here 3 years ago when we did, he's had constant issues with heartrate and breathing since he came here. At one time they were considering moving back to a lower altitude.

20191018_093612.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you looked into suicide rates? Interesting study out on that WRT high altitude. Postulate that oxygen deprivation is a factor.

The lower obesity could be the likely lower average temperatures at high altitude = burning more calories. When you are constantly cold, you burn quite a few calories.

I used to live at 7100 ft elevation. The thin air does cause you to become more efficient when doing work outside or exercising. The air is cleaner, and there is more UV. I think I agree that the higher elevation being a bit harder to live in acts as a self-filtering process where the less healthy don't stay. I moved away, but not because of health issues. I never had any altitude issues besides the shorter breath.

i love the mountains and I go up the mountains frequently. And one thing that you get up there is fresh non-polluted mountain air, which is full of energy, and fresh spring water from the snow-capped mountains. That helps!

I live at 14', and I'm surrounded by tons of the oldest people you'll ever see. Most of them still driving. I'm not buying it.

I'd guess it is a combination of physiological effects and self selection. I live at 5k and change. I have fun going up to 7000 to 11000, but I would not want to live there. Looks like a hassle to me. Lots of shovelling, very long and cold winters, constantly have to be careful about UV exposure, etc.

I live at 14', and I'm surrounded by tons of the oldest people you'll ever see. Most of them still driving. I'm not buying it.

I would guess that most of those oldies moved there after they were already old.

Last edited:
We recently stayed a week in Aspen in order to get away from the heat/humidity. I felt great! Something about the cool crisp air seemed to give me more energy - even at high altitude. Would love to have a Summer home in Colorado, but I don't think it's in my retirement plans.

Back
Top Bottom