Was all set to do it and then...

Through a combination of financial independence and my disgust at not feeling appreciated, I decided I was getting a promotion or quitting.

What might have helped is I think he got the sense I was not bluffing (amazing what confidence millions in assets conveys, not that I disclosed any of that).
So while things normally progress at a snail's pace, couple weeks later he calls me in to congratulate me and they even gave me the title I suggested. Once word got out, I received congratulations from throughout the organization, people in other cities, saying things like you deserve this more than anyone else I know.

As I write this it makes me smile, because even if I have not FIREd, I am FI and at least that led to this.

So I had the nerve to do this, and I know that deep down I am able to take the step to RE (because I really would have had they not given me the promotion), and down the road I still can if things sour somehow. For now I have an extra spring in my step and feel better so I will continue as a working man for the time being.

Anyway just wanted to share with people who will understand.:)
Congratulations on your enhanced negotiation skills! They may be able to smell your fear, but they can also sense your "take it or I'm leaving it" attitude.

If your occupation keeps you feeling challenged and fulfilled then you have no reason to stop working. If you have more autonomy then you might be even happier.

And, of course, now you have choices. The minute the fun stops (again) you can walk out the door.

Back
Top Bottom