What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three of us left @ 7:00 am for the U.P. of Michigan on our boat building trip.:cool:

Whoohoo! Will be in UP sailing a 26' over to Mackinac in a few weeks.

edit. hopefully y'all don't need that spare! ;)

So, where are you now with the class C? Which Walmart or rest stop?

Just mixed up a batch of homemade coffee liqueur. DW and I enjoy a splash in our after dinner coffee, but the price made it less enjoyable. So I found a recipe online and made some adjustments to make it lower in sugar and caffeine. Cost of the ingredients is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of even the off brands and less that a 1/4 of the most popular brand. Recipe for those who are interested:

2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups rum
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups Splenda type sweetener
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant decaf coffee crystals

Add water to a saucepan, stir in Splenda, sugar and coffee over low heat until dissolved.

Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Stir in rum and vanilla extract until mixed. Bottle.

Makes about 40 ozs.

Slept in late. Lived life vicariously through my “kid” brother who is traveling in Ireland. Read. A very relaxed day.

We went out to dinner and saw a play with friends last night. Tonight we saw Joan Jett and the Black hearts and Styx at an outdoor amphitheater. Both groups put on a great show.

Just got through mowing the grass with my old fashion reel mower. Never fails.....someone always stops by looking in amazement. I rarely use it but the grass didn't need it too bad. Can only use it when the grass is fairly short. Going to the beach tomorrow so wanted to clean it up a bit. Good work out tho in our high humidity.

Just mixed up a batch of homemade coffee liqueur. DW and I enjoy a splash in our after dinner coffee, but the price made it less enjoyable. So I found a recipe online and made some adjustments to make it lower in sugar and caffeine. Cost of the ingredients is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of even the off brands and less that a 1/4 of the most popular brand. Recipe for those who are interested:

2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups rum
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 cups Splenda type sweetener
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup instant decaf coffee crystals

Add water to a saucepan, stir in Splenda, sugar and coffee over low heat until dissolved.

Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Stir in rum and vanilla extract until mixed. Bottle.

Makes about 40 ozs.
We've done this many years ago. I recall adding some glycerin to give it some body. May have to adjust other ingredients. I searched "Kahlua recipe glycerin" and found many variations on this. Great idea!

Yesterday I got 5" taken off the length of my (formerly shoulder length) hair. It's summertime and shorter hair feels so much nicer in the summer.

Also I totaled up what I spent in May, categorized everything, and compared with previous years. I call this my "Fun with Excel" because for me it really IS fun.

Other than that, I don't have any accomplishments to report, which is great as far as I'm concerned. A leisurely retired life is total bliss.

I spent a lovely morning sitting a drinking coffee and watching a gardener I hired trim my 2 fortnight lilies and 5 boxwood bushes.

Life is good!
P.S. I do not mind the trimming, as I have an electric trimmer. I just hate the cleanup and disposal.

Took our little dogs for a walk around the neighborhood. Ran into some folks who moved here from the same part of MO. we lived in and their new pup. He's growing fast and now towers over our little dogs.

We ran into a fellow we'd met before and our dogs wanted to see him. He told me they just lost their two little dogs over the past two months. I remembered the dogs and we just let him talk. He said they're not going to get any more dogs. I suggested he could visit ours anytime he wanted.

There's been a mountain lion sighted multiple times, in recent weeks, in the canyon below our house. The HOA had signs, telling you what to do if you encounter one, put up on a trailhead on the other side of the canyon from our house. DW and I are going to hang out on the rim tonight and see what happens.

A am having a very good day. Today I had coffee and checked my email. Then I walked a little over half a mile to a farmer's Market. After shopping, I walked home, stopping at the grocery store for low fat dairy and an avocado. After shopping I weeded, mowed, edged, and swept the front yard. I harvested a few stalks of rhubarb. I made a fresh salad for myself and DH. I made rhubarb, strawberry, and chocolate chip muffins. I started the prep for a trout dinner with red beans and rice. Now I am resting for a few minutes before I head over to a free architectural tour.

Son, daughter, and son-in-law came to have lunch with us before our soon departure to the wild Northwest.

Showed them my handy work on the rewiring of the electrical system in the RV to make use of the fancy lithium batteries. Observed that the water heater was only up to 95F as indicated on its display. And this is in midday, when the batteries should be near full already from the solar charging system, and the electric heater should be turned on as a load dump. Hmmm... It has been working perfectly for the last few days. Now, the battery voltage display said 13.05V, which was not high enough for the heater to get turned on.

When they left, I pulled out my DVM and started to troubleshoot. Saw right away that there was no power from the solar panel on the roof. Then, traced it to the wiring. A crimped terminal that's been there for 5 years developed poor contact.

Now, I will need to do some soldering out under the direct sun, at 106F. Arghh! But I need to do it with sunlight to know it's back to working.

Ordered up a new car and a new fridge and a new induction range.

I quit entering races long ago, but DW has been bitten by the bug. She does at least one half-marathon a month, often two.

So when she coaxed me to do one with her, I finally gave in. We did one together and it was an absolutely beautiful day for it. We even both won age group awards (trust me, that's not impressive).

She'll fly back home now and I'll take my time driving back, poking my nose into interesting corners. A good trip.

Whacked my shin pretty hard on a big, submerged rock at the river take-out today. There’s a lump and I’m sure there will be a bruise tomorrow. It’s throbbing, so I’ll have to take some Tylenol when I go to bed.

The trip had gone very well, but all heck broke out as we tried to get our trip off the river. As I paddled in, there were about eight kayakers practicing in the wave train and eddies in front of the take out spot. (Probably beginners, since it is a good spot for beginners to practice.). As I turned around to tell the group leader that I had twelve rafts coming in behind me, I didn’t see a kayaker ferrying across in front of me and we almost collided. Avoided that (but shook him up), got to shore and pulled my first two boats in. Then the fun started. The kayakers were blocking the beach where we need to land the rafts. They were (understandably) afraid to get out in the mix between the rafts so we had to dodge them. Too many people + moving water + rocky river bottom + heavy rafts = bruises for me.

As I was coaching rafters in, I heard a commotion and realized that a raft had flipped. We had six swimmers and an empty raft headed downstream. The guides and truck team finally got everyone/ everything to the beach, but somehow in the melee I smacked my shin.

An induction range is wonderful. Most European kitchens have this now, as it is efficient and fast.

My wife does not like it though, as the pots and pans have to have a steel bottom for it to work, and that makes them heavy.

Gym day for us, but for the second time in a week we had to take a meandering route to get there and back because two of the roads we normally use were flooded. If this keeps up I'm gonna buy an amphibious R/C airplane to play in the water with. DW was not enthused about this idea, she thinks I already have enough airplanes.

What a novel concept! I didn't know there was such a thing as "enough" R/C airplanes.

Drove the motorhome to Costco to fill her up for possible departure tomorrow. Noted that the fridge which I turned on last night had the temperature at 40F.

Back home, parked the motorhome on the driveway with a long extension cord to a 30A receptacle to keep the AC and fridge going. We will be loading 'er up today.

Just came out to see the fridge temperature is now 64F. What the heck? But then, the outside temperature is 110F, and these ammonia-absorption fridges only work so well. Darn!

This means my wife will need to load it up tonight when it gets cool. Then, we have to hit the road early in the morning to get out of Dodge.

Global warming! The way it is going, soon Alaska will be crowded. Perhaps I should look to get a piece of land up there.

DW was not enthused about this idea, she thinks I already have enough airplanes.

What a novel concept! I didn't know there was such a thing as "enough" R/C airplanes.
Tell her that when you were in the hospital having surgery, you longed to be out flying R/C airplanes and wondered if you would ever be well enough again to fly an amphibious R/C airplane again. She could never say no after hearing that. >:D
The way it is going, soon Alaska will be crowded. Perhaps I should look to get a piece of land up there.
You can have it! I'd like to persuade more Southerners to move to Alaska. Then we'd have the nice, warm weather down here all to ourselves. OK, I admit it wasn't 110F here today. Just 93F, which is more easily bearable.

I'd like to persuade more Southerners to move to Alaska. Then we'd have the nice, warm weather down here all to ourselves. OK, I admit it wasn't 110F here today. Just 93F, which is more easily bearable.

Just look up New Orleans weather. Temperature of 92F, but humidity of 100%. Nice and warm? More like humid and warm.

Compared to Phoenix of 112F, but humidity of 5%.

What's worse? A toss up to me.

Just look up New Orleans weather. Temperature of 92F, but humidity of 100%. Nice and warm? More like humid and warm.
Yes, it is both humid and warm. Also I have been hearing thunder nearby, and it seems like it could rain any second.

I don't mind humidity, though. I guess I got used to it in Hawaii. To me the weather outside feels pleasant, though warm, right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom