What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unloaded the kitchen for the demolition beginning tomorrow. All cabs empty. Fridge, microwave and coffee machine moved to dining room. Range on front porch. Vent hood on front porch. After supper I disconnect the sink plumbing and move the dishwasher.

Lotta work, I'm beat.

A great day today.

Did nothing special, but decided to go out to drop off a package at the UPS Store. After doing that, instead of heading back home, I decided to just drive for a bit. I headed out in the country with the sunroof and windows open. Then I put on some good music and just cruised.

What made it so great was the realization that "I have nothing to do and nowhere to go. I don't have to 'make the most of this holiday weekend' because I don't have to be back in an office come Tuesday because I'm retired!"

What a great feeling!! :dance:

Took my 16 YO nephew to Bass Pro Shops and dropped a few hundred on shoes, camping/outdoor stuff for him. Then we hit a few specialty stores that do not exist in rural ND.

We did the Blue Ridge Mountains this week and are headed to the ocean on Monday. But we are "sheltering in place" at the house until the long weekend winds down.

Gonna send him home spoiled and tired at the end of upcoming week. He's a bright kid with a great future - - - so I've gradually schooled him on LBYM and FI, and he is absorbing. The RE? I'm just modeling the way. :D

Worked in our community garden plot and in our yard from 8am until 2pm. We weeded extensively, thinned the beets, planted eggplant and cucumbers, planted the pole beans and winter squash on the hills where the corn is already started (going for the 3 sisters planting), transplanted 6 tomato plants that I grew from seed in my office window (I have another 12 to bring home and transplant next week) and transplanted some vinca.

After cleanup and a very cold shower (it's hot today), we broke out the roadster and drove to a nice restaurant on the Housatonic River in Seymour for lunch/dinner, then over to Rich Farm in Oxford for the best ice cream on the planet. A short stop at the new Goodwill store and we are home. We are about to watch the movie "De-lovely", based on Cole Porter's life (which we bought at the Goodwill), and sip prosecco.

Myself and my two buddies had lunch at Hooters today to work on our upcoming trip plans this coming week to Cedarville, Michigan where we will join a small class of participants and build the hull of the 17' Northeaster Dory. Here is a ink to the boat and seller of the kit:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/dories/northeaster-dory-rowing-sailing-kit.html

Here's a link to the construction class video (if you care to look at it):

https://youtu.be/OxiGBkg1OC8?list=UUOjT5or5XT-LEKlkHd2BVOg

This is a complicated adventure as three 70+ year old men will be travelling from Houston, Texas to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and will be staying in a rented cottage for 8 days. Then we will haul the boat home for finishing. Total trip is estimated to be 3,200 miles. Planned route stops will be south of St. Louis and Lansing, Mi.

Our wives do not care to participate and that's OK with us. When you are retired, you need some "alone" time and also need to bond with friends. :cool:

We will be leaving on 5/31 and returning mid-June. We also may do some fishing while in the north.

Took the dogs to the riverwalk, tourists are back. It made for an interesting walk with many folks, dogs, and children. The dogs are still crashed out and not moving. I had to carry the older one for about half of the journey. When he's tired he needs to lift his leg every 10 feet. I'll carry him for a while and he's good for another 100 yards.

We went trout fishing in the afternoon, but that was a bust. Oh well, tomorrow is supposed to be nice. After lunch we'll go to another lake to fish for salmon. DW likes the idea because she can fish with worms and a bobber. There's another lake with some native trout a short hike away. Hopefully I'll get over there.

Today was full of honey dos. I spray painted our little table fountain, then painted the table it sat on. I also added a piece of wood to the back of our rockers so the cushions would not slide out.
I then went to Ace Hardware for another 50 pounds of pea gravel. DW is into succulents, and is waiting for more planters to arrive. As it is, we just bought another 4 foot baker's rack to hold more plants

Morning was watching my soon to be step daughter graduate from high school. Now watching the guys redo my kitchen - :)

Had a great day on the river today. Warm temps, perfect water level (high enough to take many rocks out of play but not so high as to be knocking people out of the boats) and a trip full of guests who could paddle. Had a bit of an issue when a few rafts missed the take-out, but we managed to catch them before they went too far. We had a trainee on the trip who sort of froze up when rafts started blowing by, but I remember doing the same thing a few years ago. You can talk about it in training, but it’s hard to react in time until it happens on your trip and you see how the experienced guides solve the problems.

DH passed his training today so we will both be on the payroll as of tomorrow.

There is new construction not far away. Double hauling belly dumpers cruising a couple of houses away from us. You dig in the desert and it disturbs the critters. We were joined by an unwelcome scorpion. The capture gone bad has resulted in shattered glass. It’s close to bedtime and still can’t find the dang thing. On the upside, made ancho chili salsa today. Also, we had a spur of the moment with another couple for a fine dining dinner.

Last edited:
Myself and my two buddies had lunch at Hooters today to work on our upcoming trip plans this coming week to Cedarville, Michigan where we will join a small class of participants and build the hull of the 17' Northeaster Dory. Here is a ink to the boat and seller of the kit:

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/rowboats/dories/northeaster-dory-rowing-sailing-kit.html

This is a complicated adventure as three 70+ year old men will be travelling from Houston, Texas to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and will be staying in a rented cottage for 8 days. Then we will haul the boat home for finishing. Total trip is estimated to be 3,200 miles. Planned route stops will be south of St. Louis and Lansing, Mi.

Our wives do not care to participate and that's OK with us. When you are retired, you need some "alone" time and also need to bond with friends. :cool:

We will be leaving on 5/31 and returning mid-June. We also may do some fishing while in the north.

This sounds like an excellent trip! Have a great time and keep us posted with progress pics.

Last edited:
Went fishing up here. Got skunked, but it doesn't matter. These photos are from an earlier visit.

Today the lake was busy. Nice to see folks enjoying the outdoors. 20180412_123526.jpeg20180412_131324.jpeg

You could start the picture documentation of your trip with pictures from Hooters! :D

It took several days to accomplish it. I replaced the drip pan under the evaporator of my central air conditioner. It had been leaking water all last summer. Didn't want to run the A/C this year till the leak was fixed. HVAC pros wanted to install a new system for $6000 to $7000. They just couldn't do an economical fix. Cost me $187 to have a new drip pan fabricated. There was just enough flex in the refrigerant tubing to move stuff around to accomplish it. There was risk of breaking something, but it didn't happen. Got it done. Just in time for the heat wave. It was 95 today. It's was 72 inside. Had to turn it up a little cus I got too cold.
The HVAC is 25 years old and will eventually need replacing, but not today.

Made it home from a four day music festival in Cumberland MD. Delfest. Some excellent music, lots of fun. But it was hot. Even with my SWFL base tan I got a bit of a burn standing in the 90 degree sun for three straight hours. The music was too good to retreat back into the shade. But there were a lot of bone white northerners who got it worse than I did. Never seen such a bright pink.

Then the skies opened up, pouring rain with simultaneous lightning and thunder (very close). The show was postponed for a couple of hours and they evacuated us up into the grandstand. I'm not sure putting thousands of people on aluminum bleachers in a lightning storm was a great idea, but what do I know? Everyone survived. Then it was back into the mud for the remainder of the fest. Good times. My personal favorite performances were Richard Thompson, Rhiannon Giddens (from the Carolina Chocolate Drops), and The Infamous Stringdusters.

We went hiking at Tilden Park in the Berkeley Hills and took in the views of the bay from inspiration point. We also took a walk out to Jewel Lake to look for otters, but only saw turtles today.

We had dinner with Mr & Mrs Scrapr last evening. Delightful people, and the second member here I've met in real life.

Who knows? Maybe some of the rest of you aren't that bad either. :D

The last few days have been eventful. Snowstorm in Yellowstone, mountain lion encounter in the black hills, got home to 100 degree heat. Catching up on yard work - mowed the 12" grass that has been growing unattended the past 2 weeks. Heard some kind of critter squealing under my deck. Replaced a sprinkler head that didn't retract and I mowed over. Ah the joys of summer.

Fun day with the Grandkids. We have boy and girl who are best buddies. Played Old Maid and Donkey, built a puzzle. Made a real homemade pizza. Read books. A day of simple fun with none of that pressure we would be feeling tonight if still employed. Life is good!

Carpal tunnel op...left hand....placed on limited duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom