What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Added up and categorized my spending for August.

2) Then, did a new projection of my spending for 2018, including all expected irregular expenses like property tax.

3) Finally, graphed my normalized annual spending for nine years of retirement, 2010-2018, using my projected spending for 2018 and the real number of dollars spend in prior years (not including the spending on buying/selling/moving when I moved to my Dream Home).

Here's what I came up with; see below. 2013,2015,2016, and 2017 included unusually high dental expenses because of dental implants. Worth every cent.

As for 2018, the drop in expenses for this year doesn't include any of those pesky doggone unexpected, irregular expenses that might pop up between now and the end of the year. It only includes the expected ones. :D It's probably a little overly optimistic to assume that my teeth will hold up and that the roof won't suddenly need replacing or some such thing between now and the end of the year.

Fun! Honestly I don't know what our forefathers ever DID for fun without Excel. Paper spreadsheets are fun too, but just not quite as pretty IMO.
W2R, Your 2018 spending could get you banned from the Blow That Dough thread! But there is still time to recover. :)

W2R, Your 2018 spending could get you banned from the Blow That Dough thread! But there is still time to recover. :)

This is what I'm thinking, too!! But life being as it is, I'm expecting a toothache any moment, or maybe my dishwasher or car will break down. :LOL: Also hurricane season seems to be ramping up, with storms starting their yearly habit of rolling off of Africa towards the US. Even a short hurricane evacuation can cost more than one expects, and then repairs of minor damage upon returning to our homes can add to it.

If no unexpected calamities occur, I guess I will need to assign myself to study the Blow That Dough thread and look for something I might want. :D Surely there must be something that I want to buy or experience.

Tough day for me (actually a tough couple of months).

At the end of June, I stumbled on some Legos the grandkids were playing with and messed up both my knee and my ankle. I saw an orthopedic doc and we agreed to anti-inflammatories, ice packs, and keeping off my feet.

After being "homebound" for all of July and most of August, I thought I was in the clear. But, Wednesday night my knee flared up. It got so bad that I called the doc at 6am. They called me back when they opened and got me in right away.

My knee was filled with fluid which they drained and gave me a steroid injection. They are going to wait a few days and take another look, but it seems likely I will be having an arthroscopic procedure in the near future. :(

DW said this morning that Safeway had a sale on pork ribs, and we should get some. Then, at the store, I thought of my children and remembered that son-in-law likes BBQ rib. I texted them and asked if they wanted to come for dinner. Of course, they did.

So, not having a smoker, I have the rib slowly baked in the oven, then will grill it up along with some hamburger patties. It's going to be good.

You should get a smoker if you like BBQ

It was a very pleasant trip and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting folks.

I'm up to six E-R forumites now that I've met in person.

Be careful, everyone: you could be next unless you watch out! :cool:

you will need a passport to see me , and being a realist my part of Australia might look a little less glamorous than the travel posters .

i live a little north of Sin City ( OOPS !! i mean the Gold Coast )

( travel hint don't wear your belt buckle gun at the airport .... Customs has finally woken up to them )

Tough day for me (actually a tough couple of months).

At the end of June, I stumbled on some Legos the grandkids were playing with and messed up both my knee and my ankle. I saw an orthopedic doc and we agreed to anti-inflammatories, ice packs, and keeping off my feet.

After being "homebound" for all of July and most of August, I thought I was in the clear. But, Wednesday night my knee flared up. It got so bad that I called the doc at 6am. They called me back when they opened and got me in right away.

My knee was filled with fluid which they drained and gave me a steroid injection. They are going to wait a few days and take another look, but it seems likely I will be having an arthroscopic procedure in the near future. :(

Wow, that is awful! I am so sorry that your knee is so badly injured. And staying off the knee and ankle for two months is no picnic, either.

I guess the only (very slight) silver lining is that your grandkids probably feel pretty bad about it. They may turn out to be unusually good at keeping their toys picked up after this.

Today I worked on 3 tourist trains that were pulled by a 1931 steam engine. Everyone loved the trip, A damaged bridge last year kept the train from coming to my town.
This was the first time we were able to make it.

Attachments

• 3004-091842.jpg
    3004-091842.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 50
Haven’t done it yet, but for today, going to the meat market and getting a couple steaks to throw on the grill. DD and grandkids are camping or I’d do burgers. With just me and DW being the only ones around today, I figured going to the meat market and picking out a couple of their prime steaks would be holiday appropriate. Hopefully they’ll have some nice looking ribeyes. Stop by the produce section and get some potatoes and salad fixings and we’ll eat very well today.

Started month 2 of a 3 month house remodel. Relocating walls, electrical, and putting down new drywall, underpayment, tile and paint for the past month. Tomorrow the hardwood floor shows up.

You should get a smoker if you like BBQ
I thought about it before, but decided not to. Too many toys already.

True BBQ is often too smoky for my taste. I am not a connoisseur at BBQ, and faux BBQ is quite OK for me. And I make it once a year.

By the way, my son-in-law couldn't have enough. My daughter does not care for ribs, so he does not have it often. Told him next time I will make more.

True BBQ is often too smoky for my taste.

When you are the one operating the smoker, you can make it as smoky or non-smoky as you like.

Yes. But the mild smokiness that I like can be added easily in an artificial and liquid form. :cool: I believe in less work for a good enough result. No perfectionist here.

Totally unacceptable by BBQ aficionados, but I already said I was not one. :)

Saturday night DW and had a hankering for some crab so on spur of the moment drove down to Ocean City MD. Spent Sunday on the beach and swimming building up a huge appetite then went out for all you can eat crabs, drove home today. Life is good.

On my morning walk, passing Dunkin Donuts, a man pulling up blocked the exit on my path. He had coffee in one hand, a donut in the other, his cell phone attached to the steering wheel. He waved me by with the donut, but I chose to let him go first. Not the worst driving habit I've seen up close, but not that far from it either.

Last edited:
Worked for a CEO that openly admitted to typing and swnding emaila from his laptop during rush hour during s company wide meeting. Same CEO once got mad at an employee for not working through their lunch indtead of eating. Was also the same and only CEO who gave me over a 10% raise. Total gentleman's club over there. Sop glad to be out of that place.

Today I woke. Now im about to go to sleep...in between I w*rked. Only 3000 more days at the office over a 13year span. Blessed for every single breathe of air I took in between.

Just put the last of this year’s peach crop in the canner. We got seven quart jars and seven pint jars from one little tree in the backyard. Since I don’t care for peaches, we will share a few jars and DH will eat the rest over the winter.

Alas, DH’s apple crop is pitiful. Three trees only netted two small apples. We think the deer have been feasting at night. As I did last year, I will buy Granny Smith apples to make my canned apple pie filling.

Wow, that is awful! I am so sorry that your knee is so badly injured. And staying off the knee and ankle for two months is no picnic, either.

I guess the only (very slight) silver lining is that your grandkids probably feel pretty bad about it. They may turn out to be unusually good at keeping their toys picked up after this.
Thanks.

The grandkids are too young to realize what happened (the oldest is 4). In fact, my running joke is that 'authorities have been stymied in their investigation of the crime because the suspects keep laughing and running away when questioned'. :D

IMG_0605.jpg

Thanks.

The grandkids are too young to realize what happened (the oldest is 4). In fact, my running joke is that 'authorities have been stymied in their investigation of the crime because the suspects keep laughing and running away when questioned'. :D
What a great photo. I can see why you're reluctant to hand out blame for the "lego incident". Hope your recovery gets better from here.

Thanks.

IMG_0605.jpg

Oh my, what cuties!!! And yes, they are younger than I had imagined. Oh well! Hope you are doing as well as could be expected today.

Got this add in the mail today. First time I've seen "Purchase with your 401k or retirement accounts" as a suggested means of financing.

Soon we'll see "We take souls and first born children as trade-ins. Bring yours in and let us make you an offer." :nonono:

Attachments

• Adv.PNG
    Adv.PNG
    302.6 KB · Views: 42
Got this add in the mail today. First time I've seen "Purchase with your 401k or retirement accounts" as a suggested means of financing.

Soon we'll see "We take souls and first born children as trade-ins. Bring yours in and let us make you an offer." :nonono:

I'm sure you just snapped it up, REWahoo!!! :ROFLMAO: Just kidding. Sounds like they are desperate to sell for some reason but I doubt they'll get any buyers from this group of dryer-sheet saving LBYM'ers.

10+ acres of land! I can put 20,000+ solar panels on that lot, and produce 30,000kWh/day. That's more than $3,000/day.

Now, let's see what the capital cost is...

Can you share the CD info? Have a lot of cash I should do this too!:cool:
Just go to the Ally web site. It should be easy. I cashed one of these in early a couple of weeks ago. It showed up in my banking account (with another bank) the next day. I was impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom