What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two quad-core PCs that I updated to Win 10. They are infrequently used for projects, and every time I turned them on, they ran for a few hours doing updates.

So, I resurrected an older dual-core to have it dual-boot Win XP and Win 2000, and it works so well with my older software. And as I have another quad-core sitting there unused, it occurred to me that I should have Win 7 back on it. And Win 7 can run Virtual PC to host Win XP, Win 2000, all the way to Win 95 if I care to have it (not likely). :)

So, that makes 4 PCs in tower cases for me to do "work"; 2 downstairs, and 2 upstairs.

For daily surfin' I did the right thing by leaving my laptop on Win 7. Made the mistake of upgrading my wife's desktop to Win 10. She does Web surfin' on an Android tablet, and every time she turns on her Win10 desktop to do her monthly financial chore like paying bills, it runs for a while doing updates too.

And then, I have a netbook that I also updated from Win 7 to Win 10. This is used mainly to run map software during my RV treks to have a real-time location update sitting on the RV dashboard. It keeps blanking the screen and goes to sleep every 10 minutes, even though I set it to "never sleep". Annoying like heck. That one is also destined to go back to Win 7, when I have the time.

Still have two more older netbooks that I will eventually turn into a status monitor and data logger for my home solar storage project. Don't need to fool around with Win 10 for that, which detracts from the real task. When I have to spend more time messing around with my tools than using them, I get royally upset.

Last edited:
Yesterday we made some cider from our own apple trees. The trees were an unexpected bonus when we bought the place and the cider press is just a little $50 device from Amazon. DW baked some mini-muffins to simulate real cider mill donuts. We've never had fruit trees before, but we are enjoying them.

We’ve been spending our afternoon, trying to get reimbursement for the $600 from Fepblue for our Medicare part B premium. Let’s say I’m glad we don’t do this when we’re older. All for $600.
Got an email said it was approved, money will be deposited to our checking account soon. Not so painful as I had thought.

I’m home supervising the tech center being built upstairs. I’m glad I didn’t do this when I first purchased this house by the builder. It turns out, I like this look much better, I’m able to design its best with consideration of good fengshui, no back against stairs. Possible considering putting some of these cabinets in my garage. Perhaps converting my garage to decent living space if need be in the future.

Kid #2 is using our new tech center, she loves it. It makes my day. This kid is hard to please. She’s working from home today.

Completed by PC/Electronics sorting/trashing project that I started after I retired in June. Freed up a lot of storage space. Have a storage locker full of stuff that will either be attempted to sold on eBay or given away. Just one run left to the local recycling to get rid of the recyclable stuff.

I also assisted an electrician friend who updated our fluorescent lighting with modern ballasts and tubes.

Today I rode Day 2 of the 4-day inn-to-inn bike tour run by the company I guide with. I’m not part of the regular crew this trip, just helping out. There’s a gap in the rail trail that results in a detour through town and a couple of miles on the road, and it’s helpful to have more than one guide riding.

It rained all day and I learned two things: 1) I need rain pants. I was okay with wet legs today, but if it rains when I take the group out in October I risk hypothermia. 2) My 20 year old rain coat from LL Bean doesn’t really work any longer. I could see that it was wearing out, but I guess I never wore it long enough in a torrential rain to notice that it is no longer waterproof.

DH picked me up at the end of the ride. On the way home I realized that we would drive by an LL Bean store, so we stopped so I could shop for rain gear. They didn’t have any rain pants in my size, but I got a good deal on a fluorescent yellow (with reflective tape) rain jacket. It’s perfect for riding. When I got home I ordered a couple of different styles of rain pants to try on and a waterproof helmet cover.

Of course now that I will be so nicely outfitted, we will have a drought.

4:03 pm I was in my downstairs office and heard a loud, low drone outside... getting louder.... went outside to check it out... it was a V-22 Osprey at about 500' off the water.... going low and slow with rotors at 80 degrees or so... almost vertical.... another one followed ~1/2 mile behind the first one.

That is the first time I have seen them flying around here.... pretty neat.

I wish that I had been quick enough to get pictures or a video.

Set alarm to wake up early today at 5:45AM. Took a shower, drank a cup of coffee, then hit the road at 6:30AM to drive downtown. Destination: the courthouse to serve a jury summons.

After lounging around in the jury waiting room, nobody was called and everybody was dismissed at 11AM. Not bad, not bad... In the past, I had to wait until the afternoon before it was decided that no cases of the day went to trial.

Here in WV, after age 65 serving on a jury is optional. I knew there had to be some advantage to geezerhood!

After reading all the thread about fish oil, my husband and I went to our favorite fish place with an ocean view. We gulped down 6 dishes among us. I had sashimi, fish chowder and a fish plate. My husband had coconut shrimp, blue cheese salad, and a fish plate. Delicious fish from Hawaii, I think.
Afterwards, we took our leisure drive back the most scenic route. Ah life is good when you retire. Not a care in the world.

Edit to add, I also had a big laugh when I listened to a voice mail recording, the IRS wants you for arrest. To which I hit delete. Can’t make my day any better. Not quite comic relief but close.

Last edited:
We drove a little bit and hiked up here(9300'). The color of the lake is from the minerals in the spring that feeds it. 20180926_123200.jpeg

Annual check up and got my flu shot.

Yesterday was a good day. The highlights: went to Costco, took a nap (not at Costco), did some treadmill, and ate some fruit.

Arrived in Toulouse last night.........spent my 76th birthday wandering around today; very nice, we're going to like it here.

Went to the main train station and booked out & back tickets for Carcassonne...next Monday...impressed the staff with my Pidgin French. :LOL:

Arrived in Toulouse last night.........spent my 76th birthday wandering around today; very nice, we're going to like it here.

Went to the main train station and booked out & back tickets for Carcassonne...next Monday...impressed the staff with my Pidgin French. :LOL:
Happy birthday :)

Yesterday was a good day. The highlights: went to Costco, took a nap (not at Costco), did some treadmill, and ate some fruit.

Except for the birthday thing, it's eerie that our days were so similar. It's like we were leading parallel lives.

Happy birthday :)

Yes. Happy Birthday:)

Except for the birthday thing, it's eerie that our days were so similar. It's like we were leading parallel lives.

Uncanny isn't it......it's as if we were separated prior to conception or something. :)

Happy Birthday! What fun for you to be in France on your 76th birthday, traveling abroad as you so love to do. :D

Never been to Carcassonne and was not aware of its existence, although with my parents I explored some rural areas in southwest France back in the 1970's, Rennes-le-Château, caves and historical aspects and so on. Thanks to Google I was able to look up Carcassonne. It looks amazing and so well worth the side trip!

Happy Birthday Nemo! I was in Toulouse this summer, but didn’t go to Carcassonne. I’ll save it for another trip. But I do love Southern France. .

Never been to Carcassonne and was not aware of its existence, although with my parents I explored some rural areas around that part of France back in the 1970's, caves and historical aspects and so on. Thanks to Google I was able to look it up. It looks amazing and so well worth the side trip!

I'm sure pics will insinuate themselves into the next tedious slideshow upon our return. :)

So, I take it that your Costco does not have a couch on display. I am lucky that mine does.

Last year, on the travel leg from Bordeaux to Sète, I drove by Carcassonne, saw the road sign and made an impromptu stop for a few hours. Very nice visit to the castle.

I had read about the Albigensian Crusade and the horrific massacre at Béziers, and was glad I was able to make the stop.

Had a late start because I slept until 11:00. I'm not a "morning person" but that's pretty late even for me. I love being retired!:dance:

Went to the gym with DW and enticed her to go to Logan's Roadhouse (steak place) with a 25% off coupon for a late lunch/early dinner.

Pouring rain all day, everyone has noticed that this is the wettest summer we've seen in years. Normally the grass has long been dormant by now, it looks like late May now. I sure hope this doesn't signal what we're in for this winter....:hide:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom