What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I attended the funeral of a dear friend/co-w#rker of 20 years.

She was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in October of 2018. She put up a valiant fight for the last 11 months.

She was just 44, and leaves behind her husband and two young boys, 13 and 8. They were the light of her life.

Her smile and laughter lit up any room she was in. The church was packed wall to wall with hundreds of people whose lives she touched in her short life - all of whom loved her dearly.

It's amazing when you think you have no tears left to cry, you find there are still more tears.

She was loved and will be remembered always.

I'm sorry for your loss, Calico. May memories of happier days comfort you.

I'm sorry for your loss, Calico. May memories of happier days comfort you.

Thank you so much.

There are a whole bunch of us at work who knew and worked with our friend for 20 years, and when we speak now it is always tears mixed with laughter, remembering what joy she brought to every situation. She was a real gem!

So sad Calico.....too young.

Thank you so much.

There are a whole bunch of us at work who knew and worked with our friend for 20 years, and when we speak now it is always tears mixed with laughter, remembering what joy she brought to every situation. She was a real gem!

Sorry for the tough loss. Glad to hear you have some good memories.

Lost a friend in hospice last week. Her smile is still frozen in our memories.

Sorry for the tough loss. Glad to hear you have some good memories.

Lost a friend in hospice last week. Her smile is still frozen in our memories.

Thank you very much. I'm sorry for your loss as well. I hope the memories of your friend will comfort you going forward.

Today, I helped my father pick 250lbs of pears to made cider. In addition, now that my new condo has been fully repainted (ceilings, walls, trim, doors), I reinstalled all the electrical outlets and switches as well as the door handles.

It started out that I was just going to fix a few blemishes in the bathroom wall, what I thought were nail pops, but it turned out they were drywall screws protruding. Oh well, the fix is the same, turn it in another turn and put another one near it, fill them both in and sand it flush. Then I got a flashlight and started looking for more since one of this winter's projects is to paint the master bedroom, bath, and closet, and I figured that since I had all the gear in hand I might as well do the rest in the bathroom.

Got that all done, and the day was still young so what the heck might as well do the cutting in on the ceiling since I've got the bathroom half emptied out anyway. So I go ahead and do the cutting in, and realize that the hardest part of painting the ceiling is already done and all that's left to do is roll two coats and it's done. So I go ahead and roll one coat on, take a break for lunch (at 5:30 PM!) laze around for another hour to let the first coat dry, and roll the second coat. By now I'm getting tired but still have to do all the clean up and putting away.

Get that all done, and I'm done for the day except for posting here and maybe watching something on youtube or Amazon later.

Tomorrow we'll (notice the "we") start cutting in on the walls. Due to various physical issues, I have a hard time getting up from the floor, so DW will do the cutting in on the baseboards. She has some remaining very mild vertigo issues so should not be on a ladder, so I'll do those parts. It makes for a good painting pair.:)

Went to the second class in a beginner electronics course at the Melrose Center of the Orlando Public Library. They have a maker space with things like a laser cutter and industrial 3D printer. All of the classes are free! The Orlando Public Library system is great.

You can also "order" a DVD from their archive and they will deliver it to your house like Netflix.

OTOH the public transpo is terrible. I thought I was going to use the bus to get to the library. Ha ha. I did it once and the bus was from 20 min to 30 min late both ways and the bus only runs once an hour. They have an app but my bus kept disappearing off the app. How a person here could use a bus to get to work I do not know. So now I drive to the library. Let them beep.

Had a wonderful lesson in the value of patience today, although it was perfectly serendipitous.

DW has a trip planned in a couple of months and she asked me to see if I could get her a good deal on airfare.

I logged in (as her) to the airline website and found a great round trip to where she is going, with nonstop flights both ways. Terrific, and the fare was decent, although hardly a bargain. I decided to book it, but there was some sort of glitch on the site and I got bumped out of it.

Tried again, same thing. Third time was no better.

On my fourth attempt, the fare shown was suddenly about 45% of the original fare, in other words a screaming deal. And this time it went through without a hitch.
:clap::clap::clap:

So if there were ever any doubt that the airlines change their prices on a fairly random basis, this was proof of it.

Very happy camper here, having saved hundreds of dollars due to a slightly out of whack website.

After two months of quitting work, I went back to the office to attend a retirement celebration for a coworker who'd been there 42 years. I haven't been missing work or my coworkers, but I did enjoy seeing everyone again. They were all curious as to how I was doing, and I told them of the delightful passing of days that always feel like a weekend and taking trips without needing to return on a particular day. I lingered for awhile after the party, visiting with a few folks and wandering around a bit reminiscing. Good times, but woohoo! tomorrow's another day off!

Today, I helped my father pick 250lbs of pears to made cider. In addition, now that my new condo has been fully repainted (ceilings, walls, trim, doors), I reinstalled all the electrical outlets and switches as well as the door handles.

Pure pear cider (perry) is fantastic ! Very jealous.

We had a bumper crop of apples this year (we pruned some neglected trees back in the spring). I was going to make cider but then my lazy got the better of me...

Gym day, then a trip to Home Depot for a bunch of painting gear, then a light lunch and doing most of the cutting on on the master bathroom. DW did the hard parts around the toilet, both taping off and the painting part, I did some of the baseboard taping and painting, around the shower, window, sinks, light switches & outlets, and priming over the spots where I'd fixed the screw pops to prevent flashing when we do paint.

Remaining for tomorrow is cutting in around the ceiling, but that'll be easy compared to all the corners and stuff today, then probably at least one coat of rolled paint if not both.

And especially now that steaks are good for you again, or at least not as bad as they were, DW is due a steak dinner or lunch (she usually prefers a lunch) for all she did today. She's more flexible than I am and I'd be a hurtin' puppy if I'd had to do all the cutting in stuff she did.

I've managed to eat solid food for the first time since Monday morning. You don't want to know anything else..

I am very sorry. 44 is so young :(

Thank you. I can't argue with that.

The company I w#rk for has about 120 employees. Every year we select a charity to which we may donate all year, and the company matches the total.

Yesterday at the staff meeting our president announced that rather than selecting a traditional charity for 2020, we will have the opportunity to contribute to an educational fund set up for the two young sons of our dear coworker. This is how we can honor her memory in a tangible way.

What I didn't include in my first post is that the husband of our coworker is also currently battling stage 4 cancer, and his prognosis is not good. So there is a high likelihood that these boys will end up losing both of their parents in the space of a few months. :( :(

There are a lot of things I don't like about my employer, but I will say that over the 24 years I have worked there they have stepped up to the plate more than once when compassion is called for. Yesterday was one of those times.

An older friend died in hospice recently and we’re going to the funeral today. Also found that another friend’s fight with cancer is growing bleaker. He’s our age.

Very scary. Five years into retirement we still haven’t pulled the trigger on our dream vacation. Have waited over a decade. We’re planning for 2020.

For a long time. DW has talked about a piece of LLadro that her PITA sister in law got after her father in law died. When I went looking for it on line, I did not have the right name of the piece.
I sent an e-mail to LLadro US, describing the piece, but they could not identify it. They gave me the name of a dealer who has retired pieces, and she came up with the name and number.
I immediately looked for it, and the dealer wanted $2200 for it:(. However, I went to eBay, and located one for about $250:). It will be here next Thursday! DW is over the moon!
BTW, the piece is 11 inches high.

Attachments

• lladro.JPG
    lladro.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 58
I just heard the Mexican singer Jose Jose passed away on Sunday. He was famous across Latin America, his most well know song was “La Nave del Olvido”, better known as “Espera un poco, un poquito más”.

I bought a zip hinge for my front gutter about 3 years ago. Never got around to intalling it and then it was "lost" for quite a while.... one of those I know its around here somewhere type of things.

When I was cleaning out a drawer the other day I found it. Installed it today. Pretty easy other than I couldn't find my tin snips so I improvised and used a hack saw to cut the 45* in the downspout extension (bottom piece in picture).

Zip_Hinge_Product_Image.jpg

https://thegutterninja.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom