What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my 4th COVID test this morning.

I have somehow gotten through the pandemic without ever having a COVID test. Daughter has had two, my wife had one during screening for a medical procedure.

This is a big day for us. First we both get our second Moderna shots. Our favorite restaurant e-mails me their daily lunch specials, and on the way home i suggested to DW that we take advantage of their outdoor dining.
DW has been basically housebound due to the pandemic, so it seemed like a good idea.
She was absolutely delighted to see other people (other than me), and really enjoyed the outing.:)
I had a double IPA with my lunch, and was shocked to find it had an alcohol content of 12% !

Last edited:
Oh no, hope that doesn't mean I have to take up golf? I hate golf! :LOL:

I don't think you will have any problem not playing golf as the greens don't thaw out in the Spring where you are until the freezing starts again. :LOL:

Ice fishing may be a better choice, it's easy on the hips and will allow beer drinking in the shed. :)

Today, I went to the fish store for to get some red snapper and some oysters, from which the young wife made an excellent dinner (I am the oyster shucker; she does everything else).

I also spent several hours working on a spreadsheet to reaffirm that my Roth conversion plan is financially superior to no conversions.

I drove my neighbor in to town this morning for his MRI appointment at the hospital. I got dropped off at the car shop and picked up my truck while he went on down to the hospital. I got some of the roads plowed after the snow last night and will finish tomorrow. It is supposed to be mid 50s tomorrow so as soon as I plow the roads will dry out. There will likely be drifts in some spots a couple feet deep.

Went to the grocery store in the AM, came home and had lunch, a PB&J (never gets old). DW came up to the lake house and we put ice spikes on and walked the perimeter of the lake. Had done it before and found it smaller than I had thought. This time we hugged the shore the whole way and came back at 2.52 mi.

Came back and made homemade pasta for the first time, Caputo Semola flour. Made raviolis stuffed with chopped shrimp, lobster, shallots and garlic (duh). Will serve tomorrow night with a Limoncello creme sauce and basil.

Completed a five day fast, by having a very light breakfest.

Major score today. I just snapped up about $10 - $12k of beautiful very good condition maple kitchen cabinets for $2500. Got lucky and saw the listing 10 minutes after it posted. I knew they'd go quick so I immediately replied and was the first one to see them. I took a some measurements and they'll fit in our new (old) cabin almost exactly....all I have to move a short 3' section of non-load bearing wall 6", that's almost too good to be true. And as the floor will be re-done anyway there's no gap to fill with impossible to find matching flooring. These will replace old and damaged 40-year old cabinets.

I immediately sealed the deal with a down payment and agreed to the full price and their time line.

Music lover is very happy today :dance:

Went out and took the truck to the car wash, it was pretty grubby from the melting snow we had. Then went to Michael's craft store hoping to get some balsa sheet wood for an airplane; no luck there, they're all out. Next stop was Harbor Freight for some 120 grit sanding belts and sanding discs for the belt sander. On rare occasions I use the belt sander in airplane building, and it's a huge time-saver if care is used to not get carried away. Last stop was Walgreen's for a prescription, and then home for the day.

On the front porch was a new kit for a powered sailplane called the "Sunbird F-16" from a Chinese company called Dancing Wings. Hardly anyone makes kits in the U.S. anymore. I ordered it via Amazon, not knowing how reliable this company is but Amazon is quick & easy to resolve any issues. Delivery was about a month, but they warned about that. I'll start on this one when I finish the current project.

Attachments

• Sunbird_2017.jpg
    Sunbird_2017.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 68
On the front porch was a new kit for a powered sailplane called the "Sunbird F-16" from a Chinese company called Dancing Wings. Hardly anyone makes kits in the U.S. anymore. I ordered it via Amazon, not knowing how reliable this company is but Amazon is quick & easy to resolve any issues. Delivery was about a month, but they warned about that. I'll start on this one when I finish the current project.

This reminds me a bit of the Goldberg Electra from years ago. It was the electric version of the Gentle Lady.

Should be fun. :)

Went and ran a few errands during "retiree drive time" (which is M-F 10a-2p) :) Also washed the car since it's pretty funky from the winter weather. The 10 year old car now looks like it's only 4 years old!!

Marinating a couple of steaks for dinner tonight. Root canal is scheduled for tomorrow, so don't think I will be eating anything that isn't liquid for a few days. :(

DW showed me a crack on her iPhone screen. I backed up the phone to iTunes, made an appointment at the local Apple Store ($200 for a screen replacement), and then peeled off the screen protector. Turns out the protector did it’s job and the screen is fine, so I cancelled the appointment and ordered a new screen protector. :)

This reminds me a bit of the Goldberg Electra from years ago. It was the electric version of the Gentle Lady.

Should be fun. :)

I'm sure it will be. I had one of the Goldberg Electras years ago and those nicad batteries were so heavy the thing would barely fly. I'm about to start covering a Herr Rally XP kit from Sig and when I finish that I'll start on the Sunbird. I put a $10 outrunner motor from Value Hobby on the Rally XP and I'm sure it'll climb vertically or nearly so. Electrics have come a long way!

DW showed me a crack on her iPhone screen. I backed up the phone to iTunes, made an appointment at the local Apple Store ($200 for a screen replacement), and then peeled off the screen protector. Turns out the protector did it’s job and the screen is fine, so I cancelled the appointment and ordered a new screen protector. :)

Good to know. I always considered them a waste of money but I'll reconsider.

Good to know. I always considered them a waste of money but I'll reconsider.

I was sure the iPhone screen was cracked. There was a clear point of impact, spidery lines reaching out over much of the screen. When I ran my finger over the cracks there was no feeling, leading me to believe it was the screen beneath the protector. Good thing I was wrong.

A phone case and screen protector are mandatory for me, as I drop my phone regularly. Not from inattention, as Neil deGrasse Tyson might say, but reduced sensitivity from rheumatoid arthritis. There are lots of cases and protectors that are attractive but useless (form over function). There are some that do protect as promised.

I was sure the iPhone screen was cracked. There was a clear point of impact, spidery lines reaching out over much of the screen. When I ran my finger over the cracks there was no feeling, leading me to believe it was the screen beneath the protector. Good thing I was wrong.

A phone case and screen protector are mandatory for me, as I drop my phone regularly. Not from inattention, as Neil deGrasse Tyson might say, but reduced sensitivity from rheumatoid arthritis. There are lots of cases and protectors that are attractive but useless (form over function). There are some that do protect as promised.

I also am a fan of case and screen protector.

Just got back from a late morning till afternoon hike. About 5 miles and eat lunch in the hills. I was on top of the world when I was eating lunch, a beautiful day in paradise.

Went for a hike. And called the insurance guy to put the Corvette back on insurance, then took it for its first 2021 ride. Then did some woodworking with the overhead door open to take in the 68° weather.

First nice sunny day that was fairly warm that I could spend outside so my HS Senior ( who was off school as the staff had a mass sickout from the effects of their second Covid Vaccine) and I spent several hours chainsawing and moving limbs and logs. Still have several hours of work ahead of me to clean up the tree damage from winter storm "Jenny" that was back on 12/1/20. Then the DW and I went to a local park and took a walk. It was nice to get out and feel the sun.

Last edited:
I finished getting half my garage cleaned up today. It had a bunch of construction lumber and other such stuff in it. A lot of it was lumber that I had picked through many times. I gave all the bent, twisted, and warped stuff to the neighbor and neatly stacked the rest. The cabinets are coming in a week and the delivery people won't put them inside because of COVID worries.

The people doing the mudding and taping finished today so I am ready for texture in the main level of the house.

Bought a second Balanceball chair online at a good price. Seller lives close to us, (a probation officer working remotely today), and she has a Border Collie, (I miss my Border who died over 18 years ago).

So imagine where my attention was focused....guess I contravened the 'post THR bending directions' but these were extenuating circumstances.

Now we have people close to us with those damn little yappy mutts; if they're awake they're barking.......with Borders, and this one was no exception, it's "Hi, looking for work? Here, throw this ball/stick/whatever. Hurry up, we don't have all day".

Good chair, good dog.

Last edited:
Received two rebates from Menards for their 11% off sale...finally! As a handyman, I can rack up some big purchases...and last December I had a couple big jobs. So I have been expecting rebates from them and they were late...normally takes 6-8 weeks but these two took 11 and 13 weeks, yikes!

But, I got two rebates totalling $115!

Moved a bunch of blueberry bushes to a more favorable location in the yard. Moved two apple trees to sunnier spots as well. It was a lot of digging and hauling. Talked to my neighbors for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom