What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Completed my Global Entry interview after applying for the renewal last week. It is renewed for another five years. Where will I fly next?

Mid-week twilight mountain bike race last night. Finished way back in the pack against guys as young as 30. Got a great workout and had fun. Beer after with a couple friends swapping race stories.

Nice! After all your bike racing, you must be in great physical shape. Keep it up.:cool:

Went out to the R/C flying site and got some more video, the trees are starting to turn nicely. It was cold enough in the morning (9:30) that I brought and used my Milwaukee heated jacket and I was glad to have it! 36° F when I left the house, but by noon I was comfortable in a flannel shirt. On one landing with a Cirrus SR22T airplane a nosewheel steering/rudder servo stripped it's gears so I was done flying that airplane for the day. That's about a 30-minute repair back home to replace it with a metal gear servo. Steering servos take a beating at our site because it's unpaved so it's not uncommon for one to fail.

My student is progressing nicely, he made two successful landings (meaning he didn't break anything on the airplane) and can "sort of" fly a traffic pattern. I'm not sure he's going to solo or be cut loose to fly by himself before winter sets in though. I'm done for the season when daytime highs are 50° or less so he doesn't have long. He's also still wholly dependent on the gyro-stabilized flight mode that limits bank and pitch angles and that's okay, but one can pick up some bad habits from that mode so it's best to limit it as much as possible. It's a great confidence-building thing to have but some people just want to stay there and are afraid to progress further for fear of wrecking the airplane, which does sometimes happen.

Got over to see 97 year old FIL this a.m. at his new care facility. New facility is much closer to our house and easier for us to pop over for a visit. He’s learning the routine and starting to become more familiar with the staff, residents and facility. Brought over a few more things to make his little apartment more comfortable.

Got out for a couple hours of hill workout on my bike in the afternoon.

Hit the river in the morning but fishing was no good. The snow melt and heavy rains dirtied up the water and raise river over a foot. So, my good fishing is done till water cleans back up. Didn't get much more done today but took in all the warm sun and beautiful day.

Last kayak outing for 2023. Cleaned and tethered the kayak to the garage ceiling. Cleaned my workshop. Put deck furniture away for the season.

Last evening DD, DSIL, DGS came over for dinner and to visit with the puppy.
Grandma and Papa were just in the sideline conversations!:LOL:

Actually from Wednesday. Performed the annual pool closing so it's ready for winter. Been too cold for swimming for over a month, no heater besides mother nature. I wait until the water temp cools below 60, which is around mid October. Then mowed the lawn before rain hit that evening.

Spent a couple of hours finishing up the second coat of stain on the deck which I have been working on for about two weeks dodging rain days which give me a break. Builder hung a 12X16 foot deck on the house when I had it built 32 years ago. I added 32 more feet of deck 30 years ago and other than the increased maintenance when staining every 6 years, it's been great.

Finished the evening by firing up the grill on my spiffy newly stained deck. Now I get 6 years to contemplate the next time.

Took a 3 mile hike with a local meetup group to Isabella Peak. The hike host said this is about as short as they come. It was a fun hike and socializing. I need to get in better shape for this stuff. But I will hike with them again. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20231021_095452.jpg
    IMG_20231021_095452.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 51
I bought a small table off of Craigslist for $25 with the idea of a practice/experimental refinishing project to sell, just to see how that works out. If no one wants to buy it I'll just donate it to Habitat for Humanity, and now DW says that depending on how it turns out she might want to keep it. I'll take before & after photos later on.

I bought a small table off of Craigslist for $25 with the idea of a practice/experimental refinishing project to sell, just to see how that works out. If no one wants to buy it I'll just donate it to Habitat for Humanity, and now DW says that depending on how it turns out she might want to keep it. I'll take before & after photos later on.

Would love to see the results.

DH has found two tables "free" by the side of the road. Solid wood ones. He sanded and refinished them, thinking one of our kids would like them.
Nope, I kept them! He did a great job and they looked terrific.

Called everyone I could find or was referred to, trying to get someone that can service our LG refrigerator. Discovering one downside of living here in this small town. I may have to buy a new fridge, nobody wants to come here to fix it and nobody in town works on LG either. If we buy new I'll make sure to get a brand that local folks will service.

I put winter tires on my car and on my dad's pickup, and spent a couple hours running over some songs, including 3 brand new ones. We have a Halloween gig on Saturday and our last rehearsal is tonight.

I got most of the sanding done on the "project table", and I'll definitely have to paint it now since I accidentally sanded through the veneer on the top. I didn't know they made veneer that thin!

That's okay though, as DW has decided she wants it painted black (will go with a plant stand) so I'll paint it with Sherwin-Williams Emerald Urethane trim enamel in satin. I've been seeing a lot of good things about that paint so this will be a good project to try it out on. I'll spray the paint as I like that better finish with no brush strokes, and I've done a good bit of paint spraying on model airplanes in the past.

Called everyone I could find or was referred to, trying to get someone that can service our LG refrigerator. Discovering one downside of living here in this small town. I may have to buy a new fridge, nobody wants to come here to fix it and nobody in town works on LG either. If we buy new I'll make sure to get a brand that local folks will service.

MC Rider don’t know the issue but check the web to place the frig in diagnostic mode or call LG factory service.

LG website will have a "locate local service provider" or something like that.
Put in your zip code and get names.
We just recently had a motor replaced on our LG Dishwasher. Service provider was 3 towns away, but came out.

Went to Home Depot to buy an empty paint can to store about one gallon of the builder's house paint they left me in a 5 gallon plastic pail. The empty paint can was $9.98 or $10.78 including tax. Maybe I should post this in the BTD or inflation threads?

Went to Home Depot to buy an empty paint can to store about one gallon of the builder's house paint they left me in a 5 gallon plastic pail. The empty paint can was $9.98 or $10.78 including tax. Maybe I should post this in the BTD or inflation threads?

We use empty pasta jars for leftover paint...although 1 gallon is a bit much.

Interesting experience yesterday. Got something in the mail from MRI Simmons, and even though it looked like it might be junk mail, I opened it anyway. Two one-dollar bills were attached to the letter, which got my attention right away. It was a "Survey of the American Consumer" telling me I was randomly selected to participate.

I looked them up and it's really legitimate.

I went online and took their survey, not a big deal and largely devoted to what media sources you use. At the end of it, they sent me a $25 Amazon gift certificate and asked if I would be willing to do a follow-up survey for a $50 gift certificate. Why not?

I had never heard of this before. Wonder if anyone else has done it?

Followup:
They sent me the second survey, which turned out to be a 125 page booklet filled with tiny type (like maybe a 9 point font) and anywhere from a dozen to 100 or more options on every page. Wow, it took me over two hours to get through it all. I was lucky in that I was able to skip many pages because they asked about things I never buy (basically everything in the central aisles of the supermarket).

But they kept their promise, and I wound up getting a total of $82 from them.
What I wonder is that based on how much it costs them to gather the information, how much must they charge the people who buy these survey results? :facepalm:

I've purchased a couple of those myself for the same reason. I suspect the high price is at least partly because of the shipping volume they take up, and the shelf space. And, of course, they do have to make a buck or two at it.

Getting estimates on stamped concrete to compare with pavers estimates. Then I can continue with rewilding. Pretty sure I want it in the next 2 weeks20231024_093351.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom