What did you do today? - 2023/2024 version

Headed up to Moms and picked up the last financial document needed for 2023 taxes. Dropped off the binder of source docs for tax prep to my accountant.

Spent a couple hours finishing up some consulting. Put a bow on a financial plan for a large public works infrastructure project. Have done many of these plans, easy work.

Called Mutual of Omaha to cancel my Medigap policy as I could find no way to cancel online. Never spoke to a live person, it was all automated, quick and apparently efficient. I was given a confirmation number and after ending the call, I logged into my account and saw a "Cancellation Pending" notification. The entire process took about 90 seconds to complete.

I start with my new insurer, Allstate Health Solutions, on March 1. They sent my new ID card last week and charged my account, so I am all set.

As I mentioned in another thread, DW is staying with MoO. It will be interesting to compare rate increases between the two insurers going forward.

Brought DW to knee replacement doctor consultation. Grocery shopped. Went for breakfast.

Got rear ended in my Jeep by an Audi. Jeep is fine. Audi not so much - my tailgate mounted spare tire messed up the Audi grill and hood.

Went shopping. Came home, went for a walk, and watched tv.

Score one for the Jeep.

I hung around the house while a contractor installed siding on our "back shack", a 6 x 12 storage room off the back of the house. The guy charges by the hour, which is unusual, ime. But he moves pretty fast, does not mess around, and it looks good. We may have more work for him. His rate is very reasonable. Imho.

Pick up DW friend & 3 of us went to the hospital for blood work. Friend had a small issue, so had to go to Dunkin' for food (breakfast) before dropping friend off. Then stopped at DS tax auction house to kill time before chiropractor appointments. Applebee's after chiropractor, followed by Home Depot. Back to DS house and DW overfilled a 10 yard dumpster. We threw a sheet of OSB on top & DW jumped up & down on the OSB until we had more room for junk/trash. Lastly, found out both local ski resorts are going to be closed Wednesday, so Wednesday ski plans are flushed down the tubes.

paying bills, hubby has a dental appt., took puppy to vets for weight to get his monthly flea/heartworm pill, heading over to siblings house to feed their cat since they are out of town for the week.

paying bills, hubby has a dental appt., took puppy to vets for weight to get his monthly flea/heartworm pill, heading over to siblings house to feed their cat since they are out of town for the week.

You don't give the puppy the pill at home? Mine's a chewable and he thinks it's a treat! :D

Went to Dr. with DW for her to have a procedure done that she had to have a driver to be present afterwards. After she woke up she was very hungry so we stopped in to Cheddars for lunch. When we go there we usually both get the Key West chicken & shrimp because she dosen't like shrimp but I love it so I get hers, a double order! We then came home and took a nap since we had to be up so early for her appointment.

TurboTax finally updated IRS form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit, which allowed me to efile this morning. I have been sitting on a completed return for more than two weeks but TT would not allow efiling until the latest update to the form last night.

Glad to have that behind me.

I drove up to the property yesterday to meet the engineer. It was a typical strong rain shadow day with the weather strong out of the southwest. It was blowing 45 MPH and raining hard at the Narrows bridge, and almost dry crossing the hood canal bridge. The roads were dry around Sequim all day until the afternoon, when the winds clocked around and it started raining out of the west.
I met with the land development crew next door and got valuable insider info on the project.
They are fellow IUOE brothers which was helpful.
Then I went to the city offices and asked if they had any questions about my reply. They had a few regarding the sewer and water tie ins and the pump, so I will make some submittals today for that.
I drove to Port Townsend to visit my flight instructor friend, caught up with them, and then did the same with another friend in town and had dinner. He is the guy I have been helping with the cabin build in NE Washington. We made some tentative plans about his project, since mine is in permit limbo now and I'd rather help some project along.

You don't give the puppy the pill at home? Mine's a chewable and he thinks it's a treat! :D

Yes, he gets the chewable at home, but is still growing and weight changes. Vet won't let us get it by mail yet, he wants him weighed every month. Except the past two months, his weight has been pretty stable and way under the top limit for his current dose. Hoping we can switch to mail order soon!
He had been taking it just fine, but yesterday spit it out three times, finally took it after I put a bit of peanut butter smear on it.
Spoiled dog!

Todays plan:
Go Feed brothers cat
Pick up #2 grandson and watch/play this afternoon so Mom and Dad can go boulder climb at the gym

Walked the dog, did 2 loads of laundry, signed up and went to an hour workout. Been dragging my feet on this & I ain't getting any younger... Little bit of chillin.

Went figure skating in the morning. Had the whole rink to myself. Really a lot fun to play and not have to keep an eye on others.

Left house about 8AM and headed to look for deer sheds. The place I went has cricks to cross to able to get up high to look for horns. I couldn't cross where I like to so I went down stream and moved some logs over the crick so I could get across. Spent till mid-afternoon and headed back to cross the crick and hoping it wasn't running to hard.

When I got home, I changed oil in my pickup. Tomorrow heading to ranch for the day.

Finished a hiking map I was working on. Then brought my truck to town for an oil change and walked over to visit MIL.

After 42 years, DW lost our envelope of yearly tax documents for the first time. But luckily with the ability of getting docs online, I was able to download everything I needed to get the taxes done.

Picked up my truck and went out for fajitas and a margarita.

I closed on the new house today!!! Congratulations to me! Now I will start doing additional improvements in the kitchen (glass backsplash, glass pendant light, etc...), in the bathrooms (new light fixtures, etc...) and in the garden (tropical shrubs planters, hedge, drip irrigation, etc...). The big difference with pre-FIRE is that I now have all the time in the world to do that. No calls, meetings, WebEx and documents to deliver! I also used to take some time off to perform home improvements and was under pressure to finish before going back to w0rk. Don't have to worry about this today! On the $ side, I will go slightly over budget ($9k) total $329k instead of $320k. I'm sure I will meet this budget because 99% is spent! Mostly because I under estimated the upgrades I've asked the builder to do (they don't do that usually, but accepted to do it, so I got the bill last minute...) and also the landscaping. I did not want to do anything (this was not budgeted), but in the end I will do it (and 50% I and 50% a landscaping company), the curb appeal will be so much better and I like gardening (and the weather is perfect in Florida now till most likely end of April (after it's too hot to work in the yard for me). Take care! Life is good.

One of our rentals was vacated last week. Got over there for an inspection today. Looked pretty good. Needs a good cleaning and a few minor repairs. Except one of the bedrooms was painted dark blue. That will need to be repainted off white.

AND renter left a nearly new washer and dryer. Have to test them out with a load of laundry.

Hopefully will get a new family in there soon.

We both got up early for some reason (5:30ish) and things were just going along nicely when the power went out. Okay, that happens occasionally but normally for not more than 20 minutes to an hour. We were having some light rain but no wind to speak of, so I suspect either a falling tree or some drunk hitting a pole. Anyway, four hours later it was starting to get a bit chilly in the house and just as I was wheeling the generator toward the back door, the power came back on. Well, that's good, so at least I didn't have to go through hooking everything up. This is maybe the third time the power has been off this long in the last 20+ years so it's kind of hard to justify the expense of a whole house generator, and the portable runs everything we'd really need for a few days if we had to.

Did the final crawl through H&R Block for our 2023 tax returns. Increased our net refund by several hundred dollars.

DW has a "girls night out", tonight, so I am spending some uninterrupted time with the home computing center and network. Now installing a new NAS unit onto our home network while blasting music in the background.

Filed 2023 taxes. It was so nice and easy this time for the first time in years, no business expenses, no Schedule C. Only took a little more than 1 hour. Sweet.

- Sat on the front deck with DW and watched the sun rise behind the palm trees with coffees in hand
- Snorkeled with Manta Rays
- Sat in the water in the shade of a palm tree while we "made plans" for what to do with our lives (aka the next 3-5days)
- Spent a few minutes working on taxes
- Made love and then jumped off the boat to cool off and cuddle (you did ask):angel:
- Helped someone back home design their dream camper van to travel with the kids now (rather than waiting for retirement)
- Added to a couple posts here trying to remind people that retirement planning should be more about what you want to do than how much money you'll have in the bank when you die.
- About to pour a cocktail to watch sunset over the water - and if we really feel like accomplishing something we'll sue up a movie.

...pretty much the same as any other day I guess.

Headed over to Moms’ place today.

Thought I had a good system for Mom to set aside financial docs (box labeled Financial mail just inside the front door) that come in the mail. All she needed to do was drop mail from Merrill Lynch, Vanguard, etc. in the box and I’ll handle from there.

That system failed!!!

Mom & I will be spending the day on the phone changing the address on all her accounts to my place.

- Sat on the front deck with DW and watched the sun rise behind the palm trees with coffees in hand

Inquiring minds want to know … Where is all this retirement bliss happening?

Wife and I (retired in 2020) just discovered the joys of extended winter travel. Spent this past winter wandering thru Belize, Costa Rica and Quintana Roo. Looking for ideas for next winter.

Back
Top Bottom