What he said...

REWahoo! said:
I get to be the new Dick Cheney? :D OK, let me get my 12-gauge...

Hey, SG! Let's go bird hunting!
That only works on old attorneys. . . Martha? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

brewer12345 said:
then righting the mess in Iraq
Maybe we could try an experiment in democracy.

Let the Iraqis and the U.S. military in that country vote on whether the U.S. forces should stay or go.

Then the veterans who want to leave can come home. The ones who want to stay can leave the service, start their careers with Blackwater Security, and get rich off the contracts paid for by U.S. foreign aid. Everyone will be happy!

Nords said:
Maybe we could try an experiment in democracy.

Let the Iraqis and the U.S. military in that country vote on whether the U.S. forces should stay or go.

Then the veterans who want to leave can come home. The ones who want to stay can leave the service, start their careers with Blackwater Security, and get rich off the contracts paid for by U.S. foreign aid. Everyone will be happy!
The US bases are built. They will not be abandoned. Maybe they could be sold to Blackwater?!...

Eh, we quietly abandoned Kaison (sp) and eventually every other base in Vietnam.

Won't Bush just pardon everyone that gets clipped in an investigation to keep them quiet, if it comes to that? Every other President has - for various motivations (Ford, Reagan, and Clinton come to mind).

Third party talk is always popular. What you have got to realize is that the Democrats and Repubs were also third parties once, and merely displaced another party. If you have ever taken Poly Sci 101, you would understand that the reason we have 2 parties is that are elections are decided by plurality rather than majority.

That's how meaningless third party talk is. ;)

Multiple parties only seem to work in parlimentary systems where the Prime Minister (or equivalent) is elected by Parliment. A third party could then play a powerful "broker" role, even a disproportionately powerful one. Consider, if the two major parties each had 45% of the seats, and a third party managed to get 10%, they would be just as powerful as the other two, since it would take two out of any three groups to have a majority. That's why you hear phrases like "coalition government" and "national unity government" in other countries with this system.

In a way, haven't we become more democratic? I mean, back in the old days party bosses would smoke stogies in back rooms and decide who the Presidential nominee was, right? Now my vote gets begged for 2 years before the election!

If the Democrats stood for anything other than "I'm against GWB" they might deserve a vote on merit. Obviously failing that standard they may still deserve a vote because absolute power has apparently worked its corrupting magic on the Republican's in charge.

I have no illusions that the Dems will "fix" anything, but I am still hopeful that we can return the government to the sweet, glorious, gridlock of the late 1990's. Gridlock won't fix our international problems but it will prevent more damage to the home front. Furthermore, the "intractable" problem of the deficit fixes itself quite nicely once political stalemate prevents Congress from spending like drunken sailors.

Are you a Democrat, Republican or Red Neck?
Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.
Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?
Democrat's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!
Does the man look poor! Or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away?
What does my wife think?
What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?
Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would
discourage such behavior.
This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for few days and try to come to a consensus.
Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Red Neck's Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG!
Click..... (Sounds of reloading)
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG!
Click
Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?"
Son: "Can I shoot the next one?"
Wife: "You ain't taking that to the Taxidermist!"

:D :D :D :D

Patrick said:
Are you a Democrat, Republican or Red Neck?
Here is a little test that will help you decide.
The answer can be found by posing the following question:
You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.
Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock cal 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?
Democrat's answer: I'm not stupid enough to walk down a deserted street where terrorists might jump me, my wife, and small children. You would have to be an idiot, a Republican, or a dumb redneck to do that.

Republican's answer:
BANG . . . "Got you ya little . . . BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG as the remaining scumbags on the desserted street you've chosen to bring your family down shoot and kill you and your family.

Redneck's answer: not available. The redneck died prior to the test. His last words were, "Here. Hold my beer and watch this."

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What about a third-party ticket with Colin Powell and Barack Obama?
... doesn't matter who's pres and VP... but the two together... Awesome!

Laurence said:
Multiple parties only seem to work in parlimentary systems where the Prime Minister (or equivalent) is elected by Parliment. A third party could then play a powerful "broker" role, even a disproportionately powerful one. Consider, if the two major parties each had 45% of the seats, and a third party managed to get 10%, they would be just as powerful as the other two, since it would take two out of any three groups to have a majority.

Actually, the key thing you said was 'majority'. - It is the requirement of a majority that makes mulitple parties a reality. Not the form of government. Today anyone with a plurality wins the election. Just change the election rules to require a majority and Wa La - You not only have 3rd parties, but 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. etc. etc. - just like in France. - The parlimentary system has nothing to do with it. It's the election rules.

This is Political Science 101 - Which I'm guessing you never took.

Rick S said:

Colin Powell I will give you....

But not Barack Obama... I did see an interview with him last night and he seems to be a very carismatic person... but he has not 'aged' enough yet... not enough experience... maybe 2012 or 2016 (more likely)... but not 2008..

Colin Powell was the author of "Don't ask, don't tell," and looked the world right in the eye and knowingly lied to us about WMD in Iraq.

Other than those things, a great guy. But I couldn't in good conscience vote for him at this point, without evidence of some serious soul-searching on his part with respect to these matters first.

I like your test, but.. what if the Republican in question is Dick Cheny?
If I'm his wife or kid, I'm screwed!

Can we get a gang that can at least shoot straight, please?

Rick S said:

I'm looking for a "gag" emoticon. Moderators? Help me out here. :)

JG

bpp said:
Colin Powell was the author of "Don't ask, don't tell," and looked the world right in the eye and knowingly lied to us about WMD in Iraq.
Other than those things, a great guy. But I couldn't in good conscience vote for him at this point, without evidence of some serious soul-searching on his part with respect to these matters first.
Colin Powell was the only guy in uniform to stand up to Clinton on homosexuals serving openly in the military. The rest of the leadership stubbed their toes in the ground, mumbled their half-hearted support for the CINC, and looked out of the corners of their eyes to see which way the other leaders were going.

I consider that Powell was wrong in doing so, but the man had the commitment to his convictions coupled with the ability to keep pushing (despite being able to retire to a life of luxury) and to forge a compromise (even though he could quit anytime he felt like it). Today the chain of command no longer has to feel obligated to persecute homosexuals (heck, now it's illegal) and the military is a lot closer to allowing homosexuals to serve openly. That progress wouldn't have occurred without Powell's efforts.

As a former NSA Powell was certainly aware that the WMD intelligence had its flaws, and I'm pretty sure that he had a few forceful-backup comments on the subject, but again he chose to support the team when he could have just quit and walked off the stage. After over 12 years of dealing with Hussein he knew it was time for the man to go. I don't like the way he used weasel words but I notice that Powell didn't go out of his way to support the intelligence after the war started.

I think Powell's biggest mistake as SecState was believing that State dept should have taken over Iraq from the military's civil-affairs soldiers. The whole thing fell apart once the Iraq Army veterans & retirees were sent home. Maybe Powell's self-confidence got the better of him. Who knows, maybe Powell trusted himself supervising State more than he trusted Rumsfeld supervising Defense. Again, I'd like to see what history has to say on this over the next 20-30 years.

Any crybaby who doesn't get his way can throw a tantrum, kick over the game board, and stomp off in a huff. (James Webb.) I think Powell stuck the controversies out and usually left them better than he found them.

sgeeeee said:
Democrat's answer: I'm not stupid enough to walk down a deserted street where terrorists might jump me, my wife, and small children. You would have to be an idiot, a Republican, or a dumb redneck to do that.

Republican's answer:
BANG . . . "Got you ya little . . . BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG as the remaining scumbags on the desserted street you've chosen to bring your family down shoot and kill you and your family.

Redneck's answer: not available. The redneck died prior to the test. His last words were, "Here. Hold my beer and watch this."

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nice comeback! However, like Captain Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru test, you have changed the test to make it possible for you to win. ::)

brewer12345 said:
Maybe I am just in a sh!tty mood after a really awful night's "sleep", or maybe I am just a nasty partisan bastard, but I think the first order of business afer the Democrats regain one or both sides of Congress is to "drain the swamp," as Rep. Pelosi put it. That means investigations, impeachments (please, please, please), and then righting the mess in Iraq, cleaning up our sorry excuse for foreign policy (and Iraqmire), and sorting out the fiscal mess. This will likely take more than two years.

But cutting out the cancer is the necessary first step. Cheney and Bush had better be prepared to have their balls handed to them in a paper bag.
Sorry Brewer, but methinks that most folks aren't interested in witch hunts, investigations, impeachments etc...It only hurts the country we all love. :)

IMHO, Democrats need to change their message - "we're not Bush", ain't workin. And f they ever want to get the White House back, they need to stop running unelectable candidates like John Kerry, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton.

Patrick said:
Nice comeback! However, like Captain Kirk and the Kobayashi Maru test, you have changed the test to make it possible for you to win. ::)
Wrong, you set up the test to make it impossible for anyone who doesn't think like you to win. Sqeeee had the sense to go outside of your arbitrary box, proof that he is not a republican or a redneck.

Quick overview of some of the Democratic message:
-- Energy independence
-- Retirement security
-- Protecting civil rights
-- Providing fair elections
-- Affordable health care
-- Protecting the environment
-- Preventing government corruption

If you see this as simply anti-Bush, I think it says more about you & Bush than it does about Democrats :D

astromeria said:
Quick overview of some of the Democratic message:
-- Energy independence
-- Retirement security
-- Protecting civil rights
-- Providing fair elections
-- Affordable health care
-- Protecting the environment
-- Preventing government corruption

If you see this as simply anti-Bush, I think it says more about you & Bush than it does about Democrats :D
sorry, but, No, it doesn't. so please, take off your 'party' glasses. What is says it that both parties are full of crap and until reasonable people get together and vote all these bums out, we are stuck with a bi-partisan system that merely rotates the trash every few elections rather than throwing it out. Ask Republicans what they stand for and you'll get a laundry list that looks eerily similar to yours, only with 'lower taxes' thrown in the mix. ;)

Alex said:
Sorry Brewer, but methinks that most folks aren't interested in witch hunts, investigations, impeachments etc...It only hurts the country we all love. :)

IMHO, Democrats need to change their message - "we're not Bush", ain't workin. And f they ever want to get the White House back, they need to stop running unelectable candidates like John Kerry, Al Gore and Hillary Clinton.

And Obama. Damn, I still can't find that "gag" emoticon. :)

JG

John Edwards can win. And is the only southern Democrat that will probably run.

Back
Top Bottom