Hisense TV: Inexpensive Excellence (and a story)

...but I recalled the guy at Best Buy telling me that he had never had someone return a TV because it was too big.

Three things that are never too big:

1. TVs
2. Decks
3. Windows

I currently have a 65" TV. I bought it on sale for $700 a couple years ago and will probably replace it in a couple years with a larger one once they come down in price. A local store currently has a 75" Samsung on for $998 so I expect that an 80" - 90" may go for less than that in a couple years.

One more point on the commodity/low cost issue: note that all screens are not equal when it comes to viewing angle.

On many screens the picture quality begins to drop off, sometimes dramatically, if you aren't seated almost directly in front of the screen. Lower priced TVs are especially prone to this, but even many higher priced non OLED models are not immune. Not a problem unless some or all of your seating is at an off angle, but really disappointing if it is and your screen suffers from this shortcoming.

Check this out for yourself the next time you are in a big box store with a bunch of big screen TVs on display.

One note of caution: Consumer Reports says Hisense reliability is near the bottom of the 16 TV brands they rated.

Somewhat off topic.....

Lately I have been reading articles about how the so-called personal recommendations on sites like Yelp and Amazon are being faked, manipulated and otherwise rendered unreliable. Even so called trusted buyers can be faked and/or manipulated.

Maybe I am just a creature of habit, but, IMHO, Consumer Reports seems to be more necessary than ever these days. For the most part I have done well by their recommendations, especially when it comes to reliable cars, and devices that function properly and safely.

Back on topic.....

TV's these days are cheaper than ever and today's high-end TVs will be matched or even outclassed by many lower end TVs in five years. So why spend a bundle on a high end TV? My only issue would be the reliability of that brand. I don't need the hassle.

TV's these days are cheaper than ever and today's high-end TVs will be matched or even outclassed by many lower end TVs in five years. So why spend a bundle on a high end TV?

This is the conclusion I've come to with this budget Hisense TV.

My whiz-bang 55" LG TV I bought in 2012 for $1395 lasted 7 1/2 years. The equivalent TV nowadays is about $800. If this $299 Hisense 55" TV serves my purposes for 3 to 4 years I'd say I'm ahead of the game.

My only issue would be the reliability of that brand. I don't need the hassle.

Most home electronic products that can get through the first 3 months or so without failure are probably going to be good for years.

Yes, replacing TV's is a hassle, but when you go into it with the idea that you're not going to worry about Dolbyvision, local-dimming vs. edge-dimming, refresh rates, and just go for a budget TV with enough inputs and a nice remote it lowers the stress factor. For example, I didn't think about this Hisense TV for a single second before I owned it and I love it.

Last edited:
+1

DH better watch his step or he'll have to turn in his man card.

I'll let him know. Maybe he will agree to the 80" TV.....

One more point on the commodity/low cost issue: note that all screens are not equal when it comes to viewing angle.

On many screens the picture quality begins to drop off, sometimes dramatically, if you aren't seated almost directly in front of the screen.

I plan to get a mount with an articulating arm for a couple of TVs to help with this.

Somewhat off topic.....

TV's these days are cheaper than ever and today's high-end TVs will be matched or even outclassed by many lower end TVs in five years. So why spend a bundle on a high end TV? My only issue would be the reliability of that brand. I don't need the hassle.

I agree with this. And, truthfully, a lot of the picture improvements on the $5000 TV are wasted on me. I can tell a difference in some cases but honestly only when they are next to each other. The less expensive 4K TV looks fine to me in most cases.

OP.
I purchased a "Hisense" from Costco a few years ago. 55in, 4K, under $400 out the door.
Did prior research. Everyone, gave TV great reviews. (at that time,4K's were really expensive).

Only, con, was. If you sat to the side, the picture was not clear. No problem, we always,
sit in front.

Figure, buy from Costco, free extra warranty, and at that price. Worth the "gamble".

Today, still running fine. Great picture. Even the sound from the TV's better than average. Forget name brand TV's, this one is a winner. (and buy from Costco,easy returns, and nice warranty).

If only they would build, bigger TV's now, ie 65-75, for a cheap price.

Last edited:
How long does a TV last? I got my 48' Sony from Costco, 5 years ago, for $789.00. I expect to replace it with bigger, cheaper one anytime now.

Most home electronic products that can get through the first 3 months or so without failure are probably going to be good for years.
Except for our Panasonic plasma TV which died after 1 year and 1 day.
Luckily, our TV guy replaced it under warranty.
There was a reason to pay a bit more for the TV and have his team install it.

One note of caution: Consumer Reports says Hisense reliability is near the bottom of the 16 TV brands they rated.
And it can still be absolutely very high in the grand scheme of reliability.

I've been told a 75" tv is too big. How can a TV be too big !! :confused:

I like watching TV, but I don't think I would want a 75" TV in our living room. I don't want to see a screen dominating most of one wall. I suppose if you had a large great room or something it might be OK, but in our 16'x16' living room I'm quite happy with our 49" Sony TV. I probably would have opted for a 52" or 55" if I had a choice, but the 49" fit nicely in our entertainment center. There's a few inches of space around all sides of the TV so there's good ventilation and it doesn't look crammed into the space.

Our last TV was a 42" plasma so this still felt like a big upgrade to me. Heck, the TV before the plasma was only 25" and we got by fine with it.

I'm more concerned about image quality and viewing angles than how big the screen is.

My DW must talk to yours, as I've been told a 75" tv is too big. How can a TV be too big !! :confused:

In the "old" days, before 1080, 4K, etc. (pixels), if you sat to close to a large screen you saw the "dots' (pixels), that made up the picture. Not good.

Today's modern flat screen eliminated the problem. So, you can sit much closer to a large screen. Also, faster refresh rates. IMHO.

Only, con, was. If you sat to the side, the picture was not clear. No problem, we always, sit in front.

Today, still running fine. Great picture. Even the sound from the TV's better than average. Forget name brand TV's, this one is a winner. (and buy from Costco,easy returns, and nice warranty).
As long as you don’t often have friends over to watch sports, and can’t all sit in front.

How long does a TV last? I got my 48' Sony from Costco, 5 years ago, for $789.00. I expect to replace it with bigger, cheaper one anytime now.
I have a 37" LED and 55" DLP that are going strong after at least 10 years. Bought them at a special sale at the Crutchfield store (actual store, not online). I think they were floor models or returns, or just models that weren't moving.

A few years ago I wanted to move the DLP downstairs, because it had the viewing angle issue, and I watched from a variety of places, including from above at the loft, or from the side at my kitchen. In the basement I have a fairly narrow view from the 4 recliners.

In it's place I went to Crutchfield again, to see what deals I could find. Got talked into buying a $1600 state of the art 60" TV. After about 3 years, it went out, and the repairs were going to be more than to replace it with a non-state of the art (but probably equivalent or better to what I bought 3 years ago). My research said the LG was one of the best for viewing angles, at least at that time. I'm very happy with it. I've since learned that it's worth getting a Fire Stick instead of the smart TV capabilities, but the LG was light years better than the $$ one it replaced.

Anyway, it's unpredictable how long yours will last. It could easily go another 5-10 years, or it could go tomorrow.

We bought 2 50" Hisense TVs from Walmart a couple years ago. Was shocked how affordable they were and how good the picture quality was vs the 32" Toshiba tube that was kicked to the curb.

Both still work great.

No... You missed the number one thing that can ever be too big.... garages.

Last edited:
Would't recommend

I purchased a 50 inch. Worked great for about 18 months then suddenly no longer recognized the HDMI ports. Because it wasn't preloaded with apps, I could only watch OTA channels, waste of money:(

I feel so behind the curve. My 9 year old, 42" Sony still works great. A bigger one one I might actually feel obligated to pay attention to the what is on. My wife and I both tend to have it on while we do other things, like right now I'm watching a show on Netflix.

I guess I need to think about how I will rearrange our living room for something bigger for when this one dies.

What do you do with a perfectly good tiny 42" TV?

I gave away my 27" CRT Sony to a friend that was still using a 19". My replacement was a 32" flat screen that developed a bad on/off switch after 7 or 8 years, gave it to the same guy that was till using my old Sony and he just left it on or turned it off at a plug strip till he got hooked on the flat screen fad and bought a new one. He set it at the curb and someone picked it up in less than an hour. He would probably be happy to take my Sony, if he hasn't gotten something better but I moved 700 miles away.

Hisense tv

I needed a new tv and did tons of research. Hisense is the old Sharp company,,, or bought Sharp. I looked at lots of you tube reviews of the Sony Samsung TCL and others. Almost every review of the hisense h9f, which is the top of the line raved about the quality. For the price they compared it to the Q tv's and the higher end Sony's. I went to brands mart here in florida,,, the top end one was 899,,,, way to much since I was still unsure. Then went to their clearance center, they had one for 800. I said no one will pay that much for a brand they're not sure about over a Samsung. Told them I'd pay 600 for it. I got the 65 inch top of the line hisense which is an android tv and it is stunning. Unbelievable picture, even the speakers are quite louder for a flat screen tv. I can't ever turn it up all the way. So you deal is fantastic since it was free. They say the R6 is good but I expect the R7 is even better. A lot of people are stuck on a brand they know and settle on a lower quality model because of the brand and price.

Hisense might be better than people think. At an old job, the brother of the founder gave me a 20-30"ish Hisense TV. It had great picture quality. The biggest problem with it was how poorly I packed it when moving and scratched the screen. The TV did not get tested for a long period of time but it worked very well before user error :facepalm:

Interesting, I am moving from my old mid-2011 1440p iMac because I can't process videos at 4K and Adobe doesn't support iMac's all that well that aren't recent. So, I was facing the challenge of getting a high enough powered iMac to process 4K and 360 Degree videos also at 4K. I figured I would need an iMac Pro and they are in the $3000 range so I decided to look into a PC. Seeing that the PX in Italy sells CLX Gaming computers and I pay no tax at the PX but here in Hungary we have a 27% VAT. If I purchase anything on Amazon in Germany they tack on the added VAT (Germany is 19%) to get back to 27% and there is no free shipping to Hungary. Anyway, I ordered a CLX gaming system with Ryzen 7 3800x, and AMD RX 5700XT graphics card, 32 GB RAM, a 240GB SSD, and a 2TB HDD for $1,600. However, it comes with no monitor which brings me to HiSense.

The PX sells HiSense TV's cheap enough so I ordered a 43 inch 4K R7E to use as a computer monitor after reading a lot of positive reviews and experiences of others doing the same thing. So, for $200 I am getting a large 42 inch computer monitor that has 60 hz scanning and a 0.23 ms response at 4K. I will add though to get those speeds you need a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable. I do not plan to do any gaming and this is strictly going to be a work computer. It seems that the requirements for good video editing is the same as good gaming so it works out to be a lot less expensive. The performance specs for what I am getting are the same as the new Mac Pro which is over $5000. A similar monitor at 32 inches built for high speed gaming is going to cost over $700 so this seemed like a good option. If it doesn't work out then I am only $200 out and it can shift over to become a standby TV for showing movies off my Plex server on a guest room.

Once I receive the computer and get it set up maybe in a month or so as things move much slower in Europe. CLX is going to ship it to AAFES next week so after that it is a matter of how long it takes to get to Italy and then I have to drive 5 hours to Vicenza. I have to go anyway as my military ID has expired and that is the closes place I can get a new one. I could have gotten exactly the same things here in Hungary with immediate pickup but I am a cheap old fart and I can save 27% doing it this way instead.

I will add I am going to be really pissed if this is a good TV as we splurged on a 65 inch Samsung 4K OLED TV locally for about $2500. The HiSense 65 inch 4K ULED is $669 at the PX. So I may have been wiser to get one in Italy. We will see. We do not have prices anything similar to what you have in the US.

No... You missed the number one thing that can ever be too big.... garages.

And a safe. Very similar to a garage. No matter what size, they’ll be full.

One caution with the really off brand units. When you lose or break (wear out) a remote, a universal replacement is a shot in the dark. You might need a code whisperer to pair it to the TV. That big sheet with thousands of codes is often useless. Even the super secret, integer by integer, self programming option.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom