What is Going to Happen With Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The very question has my DH in a slump, possibly moving towards depression. His passion for every season and sport, except for online gaming, makes life worth living. I'd say I'm a bit worried. If you asked him who pitched for the 1972 World Series, he'd know the answer. Or who was the quarterback for the Illini in 1982. Or who won Wimbledon in 1990. His brain is like sports google. Very concerned.

The very question has my DH in a slump, possibly moving towards depression. His passion for every season and sport, except for online gaming, makes life worth living. I'd say I'm a bit worried. If you asked him who pitched for the 1972 World Series, he'd know the answer. Or who was the quarterback for the Illini in 1982. Or who won Wimbledon in 1990. His brain is like sports google. Very concerned.

I hope he watched the Last Dance over the last few Sundays on ESPN About Michael Jordan. It was a great dose of sports.

Used to watch a lot of sports. Much less now since retiring. There are just other competing interests, plus playing pickleball.

I played sports in school but could care less about them now. I've always wondered how much less I would spend on stuff if the many products we bought didn't pay for sports related endorsements.

As for college football, if students are allowed to attend classes in the fall, let the students attend the games and the alumni stay home and watch it on TV. We are older and more at risk. The students should have gameday memories!

You guys rule basketball! I hope so, we need the release of competitive sports. And college basketball is the best of the best. I'll never ever forget my Arkansas razorbacks beating Duke for the NCAA championship!

You guys rule basketball! I hope so, we need the release of competitive sports. And college basketball is the best of the best. I'll never ever forget my Arkansas razorbacks beating Duke for the NCAA championship!

And thanks to the Razorbacks for that! Right now the plan is for UNC to reopen for students August 8 and then adjourn at Thanksgiving (everyone on campus will have to wear masks). If all goes well I would guess there will be college sports(maybe just conference games) but with no fans in the stands. The lack of ticket sales for football and mens basketball will hurt the revenue. Smaller schools will be hurt the most.

I would not be surprised if the chance of death from freak accident or unknown physical anomaly in a person 10-40 range is same as the risk of dying for Covid-19 virus. Like 1:1000000?

I played sports in school but could care less about them now. I've always wondered how much less I would spend on stuff if the many products we bought didn't pay for sports related endorsements.

+1

Never had an interest in watching sports. Even stopped watching the Superbowl commercials years ago.

Although might be interested in watching the Cornhole matches. :D

I live right next to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and am a big UNC sports fan. Football players are back on campus now and basketball players are to come next month. Clemson University just announced that 23 football players and 5 football staff members have recently tested positive for Covid-19. ugh. UNC has said they are not going to announce the results of Covid-19 tests on players but I expect there will be pressure for some sort of info. I was hoping for college football this Fall (probably with no fans) but college football is now looking doubtful in my opinion.

Baseball training shut down due to players testing positive.
Youth soccer is open for training here in CNY but looks like the kids are doing drills physically distanced from each other.

I live right next to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and am a big UNC sports fan. Football players are back on campus now and basketball players are to come next month. Clemson University just announced that 23 football players and 5 football staff members have recently tested positive for Covid-19. ugh. UNC has said they are not going to announce the results of Covid-19 tests on players but I expect there will be pressure for some sort of info. I was hoping for college football this Fall (probably with no fans) but college football is now looking doubtful in my opinion.

Baseball training shut down due to players testing positive.
Youth soccer is open for training here in CNY but looks like the kids are doing drills physically distanced from each other.

Univ. of TX football team has a number of positives too.

And a hockey player for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

We might just have to watch the sports from countries that have managed the virus better. New Zealand Rugby anyone?

Or if the media in the USA really wants to show sports, they could pay for double the number of players on each team so that they can fill in for the sick players.

I believe all the major soccer leagues in Europe are back now.

I love college sports, especially football, basketball and volleyball, but it's gotten out of control, especially the multi-million dollar coaching salaries, and even assistants at big name schools making high 6 figures, and the plush facilities. Maybe an overhaul of the system is not so bad.

Totally agree with this. I used to love to watch the NCAA basketball tournament (March Madness), but I gave it up when the stuff you mention just got completely out of control, in my opinion. I haven't really missed it. I haven't attended a pro sports event of any kind in quite a few years also, for the same reason. I just can't relate to anyone making the kind of salaries these guys make these days, and all the back and forth Twitter nonsense that goes on these days between some of these athletes turns me off as well.

Totally agree with this. I used to love to watch the NCAA basketball tournament (March Madness), but I gave it up when the stuff you mention just got completely out of control, in my opinion. I haven't really missed it. I haven't attended a pro sports event of any kind in quite a few years also, for the same reason. I just can't relate to anyone making the kind of salaries these guys make these days, and all the back and forth Twitter nonsense that goes on these days between some of these athletes turns me off as well.

Same here for the most part. Many other things to do in retirement including playing sports.

PGA Golf has started back up and there have been 2 tournaments with no fans. I have watched on TV the last 2 weekends. There are some precautions taken for the players but I am concerned the precautions are not nearly enough. They test the players for the virus on Mondays for tournaments starting on Thursday. This past week the tournament was at Hilton Head and a player (Nick Watney) tested positive. The circumstances are unusual. From what I have read--Nick tested negative on Monday. In the middle of the week his "fitness tracker" showed he had increased respiratory rate and he voluntarily asked to be retested. While he was waiting results he was allowed to remain at the golf course. The test came back positive and Nick is now in quarantine. Tracing identified 11 people who had close contact with Nick --all 11 tested negative and those persons are suppose to be in quarantine also. But it appears to me he would have had close contact with 2 players were allowed to play--one he shared a house with and one he was on a private plane with. I am watching to see how many new cases show up.

I've watched some Premier League soccer games this last few days on the TV. They are shown with or without crowd noise. I've decided I prefer the crowd noise, they do a pretty good job of generating the right sort of crowd noise for the situations as they develop.

On 2 large screens they have Zoom displays showing supporters from each side watching live from their homes. At one ground, Brighton, one stand had a load of cardboard cut out figures in the seats with pictures of actual fans on them. Fans paid £20 each to have their replicas on show, with the hope of seeing themselves on TV.

Of the changes made there are no ball boys, so when the ball is kicked way out of reach the players have to retrieve another one from one of many placed on stands around the field. Sterilized footballs are put back on the stands as needed. The first goal of the new regime happened when a defender failed to control a ball as it seemed to slip off the top of his thigh and an attacking player thumped the ball home. The commentator said it looked like maybe that ball had too much Purell on it :)

I'm late joining this thread but did want to comment........

I've commented frequently in the various "cut the cord" threads that the main reason I continue to have cable is for access to sports. We're not fanatics here, but do habitually follow along with the Cubs, Bears and Black Hawks. And the Sox and Bulls if they're doing well or have something interesting going on. But it seems that with their absence, our interest has waned significantly. And we're talking about just kicking the habit, dropping cable and going ota which would provide some, but less, sports coverage.

Bottom line - despite being long term pro and major college sports fans, we don't think we'd miss it all that much if they just fade away.

Last edited:
I'm missing sports.

I've been watching a lot of NBA Hardwood Classics.

Children's sports

I guess there's been enough time - enough during the school year and during the summer - to ask about the effects, good and bad, of the enforced time out for children's sports.

There is the lost time in improving sports skills. There is the found time in discontinuing near daily practices in team sports for kids who really don't need to be in constant drills and practices to enjoy the sport. There is the end of this manifestation of child care. There is the end of parents' having to run their kids somewhere every day. There is the beginning of possibly more viable interests in lifelong sports. There are money savings. There is a possible loss in physical fitness. There is a possible gain in fewer injuries. There is the encouragement to develop personal interests - reading? woodworking? - instead of succumbing to the pressure to join a team sport.

What have been the experiences and thoughts so far? Has the end of children's sports been more or less of an adjustment than expected?

I'm late joining this thread but did want to comment........

I've commented frequently in the various "cut the cord" threads that the main reason I continue to have cable is for access to sports. We're not fanatics here, but do habitually follow along with the Cubs, Bears and Black Hawks. And the Sox and Bulls if they're doing well or have something interesting going on. But it seems that with their absence, our interest has waned significantly. And we're talking about just kicking the habit, dropping cable and going ota which would provide some, but less, sports coverage.

Bottom line - despite being long term pro and major college sports fans, we don't think we'd miss it all that much if they just fade away.

DH and I find we are missing sports more and more everyday. We talk about it all the time. But we are not optimistic. We normally go to many live sporting events but we don't see that happening for us anytime soon. Sigh.

OK, we are not sports fans so please feel free to ignore this post (but I wanted to post anyway). From what little I see, professional sports have been severely impacted.

Yesterday while we were eating lunch inside our favorite restaurant, the TVs there that normally show sports, instead were showing beanbag tossing. Two men with masks, over ten feet apart, were tossing beanbags into a hole. I guess that is one "sport" that has not been changed.

But team sports? It's tough for these to continue this year. Maybe without a crowd watching the game, but where's the fun in that.

I guess there's been enough time - enough during the school year and during the summer - to ask about the effects, good and bad, of the enforced time out for children's sports.
My kid is almost 42, so those days are behind us. But back when she was in high school, she played clarinet in the school's very excellent marching band. They played at half time at all the football games and it was a Big Deal, probably the best character-developing activity that she engaged in during high school. She loved it and felt tremendous camaraderie with other band members and was a more responsible teen because of band. My guess is that the school bands are no longer performing either, and if so then that's a doggone shame IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom