What is the Logic of a Pot Filler?

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It seems many high end kitchens these days have pot fillers, basically a water faucet right above the stove. To me this seems like a problem waiting to happen. Eventually that faucet is going to leak and you'll end up with water on or in your stove. Maybe some stoves have associated drains to deal with this?

I also don't understand the advantage of filling a pot on the stove that you still have to move to the sink to drain? Either way you're still having to lift the pot, only it's now full of boiling hot water.

Maybe it's me, but it seems like a silly thing to have in a kitchen. Still, I'm curious if anyone here has a pot filler and what pro's and con's you have with it? I have no interest in ever having one, just curious...

It seems many high end kitchens these days have pot fillers, basically a water faucet right above the stove. To me this seems like a problem waiting to happen. Eventually that faucet is going to leak and you'll end up with water on or in your stove. Maybe some stoves have associated drains to deal with this?

I also don't understand the advantage of filling a pot on the stove that you still have to move to the sink to drain? Either way you're still having to lift the pot, only it's now full of boiling hot water.

Maybe it's me, but it seems like a silly thing to have in a kitchen. Still, I'm curious if anyone here has a pot filler and what pro's and con's you have with it? I have no interest in ever having one, just curious...
I agree with you 100%. Never saw the benefit. In fact I agree it's a net negative. Probably just good marketing or "influencing" on social media or Martha Stewart type sites.:LOL:

DW and I have been talking about pot fillers for a few years now. We started to notice them on some of the home improvement shows. We have all of those same questions asked by OP. We are both in the no way ever a pot filler category.

I am so outdated, this is the first time I heard of a pot filler above the stove.

Sounds like it is as useful as an appendix, with the difference being you have no choice with the latter.

They look cool! :) Nobody needs a car that goes 0~60 in less than 3 seconds either! :)

Seems convenient to be able to fill at the stove, but pretty small benefit for a home cook. In a restaurant, cooking all day, it could make time and back saving sense.

I never really thought of the downsides, but I agree, seems more con than pro for a home chef. Another thing to maintain, it could be getting in the way, plus the obvious initial cost.

-ERD50

We have one and I think it's ridiculous. Of course, it came with the house when we bought it so I hope to get credit for not doing this. THANKFULLY, there are two valves, so *hopefully* it will not leak. I do NOT want it leaking on the stove that would be quite pricey to replace (again, one of those ridiculous 48" ranges). Any repairs would mean either tearing out tile on the kitchen side or taking out drywall on the opposite side. Generally speaking, we don't use it.

Edit: I don't know that this is that new since out house was built in 2005-2006.

Last edited:
They look cool! :) Nobody needs a car that goes 0~60 in less than 3 seconds either! :)

It's only cool if it can fill a gallon pot in 3 seconds. :)

PS. About the need to empty a full hot pot without lifting it off the stovetop, I am thinking about a siphon pump. Perhaps somebody has this already.

Last edited:
I dunno.

Having suffered leaks from the water line to the ice maker of my fridge several times, requiring replacements of the kitchen flooring, why do I keep re-installing it?

I like ready ice enough to suffer the cost.

I don't want or need a pot filler. First, I hardly ever cook any more and if I do it's just small amounts for one or two people. Second, I have no problems carrying whatever water I need, since I have little to no arthritis in my shoulders and hands.

I have known women who loved having one, though, due to severe arthritis that made carrying such a pot from the sink, excruciatingly painful.

But then, I never asked them how they emptied the pot. That's a good point. Next time the topic comes up, I'll ask how they plan to empty the pot.

I don't want or need a pot filler. First, I hardly ever cook any more and if I do it's just small amounts for one or two people. Second, I have no problems carrying whatever water I need, since I have little to no arthritis in my shoulders and hands.

I have known women who loved having one, though, due to severe arthritis that made carrying such a pot from the sink, excruciatingly painful.

But then, I never asked them how they emptied the pot. That's a good point. Next time the topic comes up, I'll ask how they plan to empty the pot.
Well I think it's about time they came up with a pot emptier to go along with a pot filler. May be a siphon initiator and hose. :D or maybe a special set of pots with a bottom drain feature.

Well I think it's about time they came up with a pot emptier to go along with a pot filler. May be a siphon initiator and hose. :D or maybe a special set of pots with a bottom drain feature.

Too much trouble for a busy retiree to bother with.

Just put a forward/reverse switch on it. Then stick the tap into the pot and let it suck the liquid out (they do have dual tubes, don't they?) into your sewer pipe.

I dunno.

Having suffered leaks from the water line to the ice maker of my fridge several times, requiring replacements of the kitchen flooring, why do I keep re-installing it?

I like ready ice enough to suffer the cost.

I have the best of all possible worlds concerning this dilemma. Frank does not have an ice maker, and yet he uses a LOT of ice for his iced tea. So, when he's over here visiting me, he gets ice from my ice maker and carries it home to store in his freezer. He lives next door, just 20 feet away.

My ice maker has never leaked or gone on the fritz, but if it did, he'd fix it (and the floor if necessary). He loves having it available. And me? I get all the ice I want, never have to fix a thing, and have a happy boyfriend/companion with lots of ice. :D :dance:

Now you are talkin'.

You never need to lift the pot up. It stays permanently on the stove. You scrub, clean, and drain it right where it is.

Well, then perhaps it does not need a stove and can have its own heater at the bottom.

Man, I need to file a patent for this idea. Finnski can be my coinventor.

But you need the $500 reverse osmosis water purifier to feed the pots 99.998% pure water.

I love that restaurant store. In stead of one of those plastic, cheap looking, utility sinks, we got a stainless steel sink from them to put next to our washer/dryer. See below.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/st...with-faucet-24-x-24-x-12-bowl/522CS124FW.html

As for the pot filler, coincidentally, my DD just came over yesterday and told me their offer on a new house was accepted. It’s a new build and not yet complete. One of the modifications she put in her bid - a pot filler. She seemed pretty excited about it. Me and DW were a bit more excited that she may be about a half hour away instead of her current 1.5 hours. She needs to get an appraisal and would not sign a clause to pay the difference if the appraisal comes in low, so we’ll see. In the current market, I think she’s going to run into problems with the appraisal. Filing under “if it’s meant to be, it’ll be”.

I never heard of such a setup before now. I will have to look and see if I can find some pictures.

No, I was thinking of a pot with a permanent connection to the fresh water supply as well as the drain. With the pot above, you still have to catch the wastewater with a bucket.

And our pot will have its own heater, remember? Why tie up a spot on the stovetop? The whole thing will be fix-mounted, all plumbed and wired in permanently.

I can do the technical specs, but need an aesthetic design as that's not my strong suit.

Last edited:
It's only cool if it can fill a gallon pot in 3 seconds. :)

PS. About the need to empty a full hot pot without lifting it off the stovetop, I am thinking about a siphon pump. Perhaps somebody has this already.

Now you are talkin'.

You never need to lift the pot up. It stays permanently on the stove. You scrub, clean, and drain it right where it is.

Well, then perhaps it does not need a stove and can have its own heater at the bottom.

Man, I need to file a patent for this idea. Finnski can be my coinventor.

All this stuff has been around a long time in the home-brewing community. We boil large volumes and may need to drain it while hot (depending on your setup).

https://www.morebeer.com/products/easy-jiggler-stainless-auto-siphon-racking-cane.html

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/brew-kettles/products/8-gal-megapot

42010-10-Gal-MegaPot-Brew-Kettle_valve-termometer_c0ceb486-cd1e-41ef-b79d-0613f8d7ca11_x700.jpg

35338.png

-ERD50

No, I was thinking of a pot with a permanent connection to the fresh water supply as well as the drain. With the pot above, you still have to catch the wastewater with a bucket.

And our pot will have its own heater, remember? Why tie up a spot on the stovetop? The whole thing will be fix-mounted, all plumbed and wired in permanently.

I can do the technical specs, but need an aesthetic design as that's not my strong suit.

Like this (you could plumb it):

https://grainfather.com/g40/

g40-min.png

-ERD50

Like this (you could plumb it):

https://grainfather.com/g40/

g40-min.png

-ERD50
Oh sure. Go and rain on our parade. We were set to make millions.:facepalm:Those pot filler guys only did half the work.They need to sell the home maker on the other part of the problem as well. Drainage! Your brewery equipment is close but with some mods and a little marketing.....:cool:

^^^ Bluetooth and the whole works!

OK, I have not started my patent application yet, so nothing lost. :)

Back to Web surfin'...

I have only seen dumb pot fillers, what value does the logic add?

Back
Top Bottom