What is the most difficult position in sports?

Good point. I was considering some summer income after ER doing some umpiring, but not sure if I can take the punishment. Maybe I can just work the bases.

Most umpiring associations will let you do that, with the understanding that you still have to have home plate equipment in the event of a no-show or injury.

This position, actually, isn't that difficult to get into.

file.php

Good point. I was considering some summer income after ER doing some umpiring, but not sure if I can take the punishment. Maybe I can just work the bases.

Years ago I umpired youth & HS BB, and some of those 18-19yo kids could uncork a 90+mph fastball. Back then we were transitioning from the old 'shield' style outside chest protectors to the modern inside protectors. Unfortunately at that point the throat protector (piece dangling down from your mask) was rare. Still remember the time I was behind the plate & took a foul tip straight to the Adam's apple. Next thing I remember I was flat on my back gasping for air while one of the trainers was doing an ACLS-style jaw thrust to help keep my windpipe open. I actually recovered to finish that game- with an arm covering my throat at each pitch. Found myself too busy to ump the next season ;)

A journeyman boxer or UFC fighter that everybody beats up on the way to the top.

I got to believe that getting the crap beat out of you is a pretty tough way to make a living.

I got to believe that getting the crap beat out of you is a pretty tough way to make a living.

As many kids in inner city Detroit, Philly, Chicago, etc. will tell ya, it's a pretty tough way to grow up, too :(

Over the years I've played football, tennis, and been a cheerleader, and I gotta say, the most difficult thing I've ever done was be a base in competitive cheerleading. When they flip a girl over your head, one mess up is entirely too noticeable, usually the difference between first and last, and on top of that, whoever you're tossing isn't going to like paying the medical bills for whatever has just happened to them :p

Back
Top Bottom