What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

I don’t know whether to be annoyed with Apple or FedEx.

On May 11 I ordered an Apple Watch to replace my Series 4 with very poor battery life. I am leaving on a six-day biking trip this Sunday 5/21, and want the new watch for activity tracking. My current watch battery will not last the number of hours that I will be riding in a day.

The May 11 order was estimated to be delivered on 5/12. It didn’t arrive, and the tracking info indicated it made it to TN on 5/11 and hasn’t been seen since. I called Apple on 5/15; their solution was to “return” the lost item and order a replacement. The replacement was estimated to arrive on 5/16. According to the FedEx tracking, the package made it to the FedEx hub in Indianapolis on 5/15, but there has been no update since then.

I just called Apple again and was told that they cannot start a shipping inquiry until/unless it doesn’t get delivered tomorrow (Friday). I hope it comes tomorrow but I’m not at all confident that it will.

It looks like I won’t be able to track my riding next week. That’s a shame since I’ll be putting in multiple 35-40 mile days that I won’t get “credit” for on Strava.

Let's see, here. "Takes a licking and keeps on tick..." No, that's not it. Oh, yeah. "When it Absolutely, Positively has to be there overnight"

What are we missing?

WDIR: wood destroying insect report. Termite certificate required here when you sell your house. We've been paying our termite pest control company for 9 years. Each year they come out, inspect for termites, write up a receipt showing no termites (wood destroying insects) all included in our yearly fee. They came out 3 weeks ago for our yearly inspection.
DW called them and asked for this certificate to provide when we close on our house. Sure, no problem, that'll be $150.00!!!! What? I pay you yearly for the same darn thing and now you want $150.00
Our realtor found a different company that only charges $55.00

I've been using square drive screws for quite a few years. Nothing else compares for me.
Yes I basically toss supplied screws and replace with Robertson (square) head screws. Cannot be beat in my opinion either. It boggles my mind that the industry standard somehow settled on a screw head that was designed to cam out. Problem is removing old slot and Phillips screws when doing repairs.

the only redeeming grace with either slotted or phillips screws is that you can kinda use the wrong size. Kinda. With a square drive you need the right size. Just like torx.

the only redeeming grace with either slotted or phillips screws is that you can kinda use the wrong size. Kinda. With a square drive you need the right size. Just like torx.
True. My favourite slot screwdriver is a dime. Almost always can find one around and much safer too!

Youtube video commercials that won't load. Bad enough that you have to watch an ad but if the darn thing won't even play then you can't watch the video that you went to YouTube to see.

Youtube video commercials that won't load. Bad enough that you have to watch an ad but if the darn thing won't even play then you can't watch the video that you went to YouTube to see.

For me, an ad blocker works wonders for that and a host of other ad related irritants.

I am an ebay seller and I'm in a number of Facebook reseller groups where people share information, tips, good things to look out for when sourcing, etc. It's also where people post questions they have for others to answer.

My pet peeve is people who answer questions incorrectly (peeve #1) and then argue with everyone who tells them that their answer is wrong and why (peeve #2).

It's really disturbing how many sellers really have no clue what they're doing, but all act like they do. They're frequently violating ebay policies and in some cases breaking actual state and Federal laws. Still, they get ridiculously defensive when anyone points that out to them.

My pet peeve is people who answer questions incorrectly (peeve #1) and then argue with everyone who tells them that their answer is wrong and why (peeve #2).

It's really disturbing how many sellers really have no clue what they're doing, but all act like they do. They're frequently violating ebay policies and in some cases breaking actual state and Federal laws. Still, they get ridiculously defensive when anyone points that out to them.

Classic Dunning-Kruger behavior where those with the least knowledge often come across as supremely confident because they don’t have the smarts to know that they don’t know everything.

Classic Dunning-Kruger behavior where those with the least knowledge often come across as supremely confident because they don’t have the smarts to know that they don’t know everything.

I'm so glad we have no one here who falls into the D-K behavior mode. (Almost seriously.)

Live from First World ProblemS HQ.....

1.)Asparagus. It's pricey but it's one of the few healthy things I like so I buy it. But...so many times the tips are already frizzy and mushy at the grocery store so whether I store it vertically, put water in a glass, whatever - -it's already not that great even before I buy it.

2.)NVDA. I'd like to really thank the get-off-my-lawn-i-was-fine-with VHS- I-hate-modernity- I'm 47 but going on 90 - part of my persona.

Begrudgingly I had a buy order of $100 on it a long time ago. It went down from 400.... to I think 109. And I ain't buying that new fangled stuff, no way.

Well here we are today. After looking at ETFs and Mutual Funds I guess I gotta brag. Today when it might be up 20-30% ...

I have .00357% of my net worth in it.

Dear self - well played, well played. Yeah them Pepsi dividends will come in handy. Maybe the A.I robots will drink Pepsi. If they are gonna be humanlike, heck give em a soda you know?

1.)Asparagus. It's pricey but it's one of the few healthy things I like so I buy it. But...so many times the tips are already frizzy and mushy at the grocery store so whether I store it vertically, put water in a glass, whatever - -it's already not that great even before I buy it.

The only way to get really fresh asparagus is to grow it yourself. It's very easy to grow.

Flash frozen asparagus works well in most of my recipes, easy to steam lightly or stir fry.
Not quite as crisp as fresh, however.
Have never tried growing it--may be on my list!

pet peeve today is loud garbage trucks so early in the morning. I swear they never service their brakes! squeak, squeak, squeak I can hear them several streets away.

Minor Car Repairs

I've got a slow leak in a tire. Used to be, there was a gas station on every corner who could fix a leak in 30 minutes or less. Just pull in, have a candy bar in the office/waiting room. Pay a few dollars and - on your way.

Called around and the folks at "tire places" seemed on a different planet. One didn't seem to understand what I wanted. Another said "you'll have to talk to the boss." etc.

SO, I called a place I trust BUT I knew I would either have to drop off the vehicle (which is impossible since I have just one car.) OR wait (their words) Minimum 2 1/2 hours. For a tire patch! Say what?

We'll I'm gonna have to slog my way to their shop and take a big book, I guess.

Oh, good news, by making the appointment on line, I'll get a discount because I'm not doing it over the phone. How wonderful.

Spouse only cleans the house the day before the cleaning person comes. Spouse is proud and brags about sweeping and vacuuming for the cleaning person.

If I knew spouse was going to chip in, I would not have needed cleaning person.

Spouse only cleans the house the day before the cleaning person comes. Spouse is proud and brags about sweeping and vacuuming for the cleaning person.

If I knew spouse was going to chip in, I would not have needed cleaning person.

My mother did that . . .

Ex-spouse used to complain I didn’t clean the house often enough for his liking. But he himself NEVER did.

The Rest of the Story

I've got a slow leak in a tire. Used to be, there was a gas station on every corner who could fix a leak in 30 minutes or less. Just pull in, have a candy bar in the office/waiting room. Pay a few dollars and - on your way.

Called around and the folks at "tire places" seemed on a different planet. One didn't seem to understand what I wanted. Another said "you'll have to talk to the boss." etc.

SO, I called a place I trust BUT I knew I would either have to drop off the vehicle (which is impossible since I have just one car.) OR wait (their words) Minimum 2 1/2 hours. For a tire patch! Say what?

We'll I'm gonna have to slog my way to their shop and take a big book, I guess.

Oh, good news, by making the appointment on line, I'll get a discount because I'm not doing it over the phone. How wonderful.

So when I bought my used RAV 4, it had what looked to be almost new tires. I thought nothing of it one way or the other except "yippie" I shouldn't have to worry about tires for a while. So when I took my car in today, I spent over 3 hours in the waiting room. When they came to get me, they asked me to sign the invoice which said "no charge." They had removed a nail and patched the tire. Apparently the previous owner had purchased the tires there and road-hazard was free for life as nearly as I can figure. I can't say I enjoyed hanging around a tire center for 3 hours, but the "no-charge" was a very nice bonus. Gotta win one once in a while, I suppose. YMMV

Reminds me of when I asked the kid at a shoe store if they had shoe strings as mine had broken. He told me I would have to go to a shoe repair shop for that. I finally got them at Walmart. Sheesh, you try to shop small and local but whatever.

Edit to add

Oh, and just try and find a shoe repair place these days. I know of one or two but I should have been surprised a young person would have even heard of the concept.

Last edited:
Sounds like a presidential candidate to me, or Congress or both.

Reminds me of when I asked the kid at a shoe store if they had shoe strings as mine had broken. He told me I would have to go to a shoe repair shop for that. I finally got them at Walmart. Sheesh, you try to shop small and local but whatever.

Edit to add

Oh, and just try and find a shoe repair place these days. I know of one or two but I should have been surprised a young person would have even heard of the concept.

The town I grew up in had a shoe repair store. I went to school with his daughters and one son. The son joined the Air Force right out of high school ,became a pilot and was shot down over Nam. The two daughters each went to college then joined the family business. Dad kept doing the repairs in rear of the new shoe store the girls had built. After dad passed One daughter moved to a town about 25 miles south and opened another store, then they opened another one ,& another one and ended up with 10 stores in the towns surrounding them. They all now have children grandchildren and cousins working in this family business which started from a shoe cobbler. The american dream came true.:)

The town I grew up in had a shoe repair store. I went to school with his daughters and one son. The son joined the Air Force right out of high school ,became a pilot and was shot down over Nam. The two daughters each went to college then joined the family business. Dad kept doing the repairs in rear of the new shoe store the girls had built. After dad passed One daughter moved to a town about 25 miles south and opened another store, then they opened another one ,& another one and ended up with 10 stores in the towns surrounding them. They all now have children grandchildren and cousins working in this family business which started from a shoe cobbler. The american dream came true.:)

For a second there I thought maybe we went to the same school as my background is very similar. My dad was a shoe cobbler in a small town and expanded the business into a shoe store then a men's clothing store. I had one sister, two brothers but fortunately was never shot down when I flew for the USAF. :)

My newest pet peeve is being wished a "Happy Memorial Day". I don't view a day set aside to honor those who gave their lives in service to our country as a "happy" day, which implies something to be celebrated.

Whether you agree or not, get off my lawn...

I also find that odd, but I have yet to chide anyone who has said it to me. However, I have gently noted to some that Memorial Day is for our brothers and sisters in arms who died, not for those of us who made it back home. We'll have our day in November.

Back
Top Bottom