What is your pet peeve of the day? -- 2021

While we're talking about lit buttons my house looks like a Star Trek studio with all of the darn leds lit up. Red light here, blue light there, green one somewhere, yellow just because. And some of them flash! I like to sleep in the dark thank you. My office door is usually closed at night because of all of the led lights.
At least my wireless chargers led goes off after a few seconds.

That gave me a bit of a flashback, to 1984. That was when I got my first VCR. At night, I noticed that the display on it was bright enough, that it actually lit up the room a bit. Nowadays, I sleep with the tv on, so something like that wouldn't bother me, but back then it sure did. Probably, because it was the first time I had something in my bedroom that lit up at night, so I was used to it being TOTALLY dark, other than whatever moonlight might come in.

It was kind of a greenish blue color, so it wasn't too jarring, but it was still enough, that I remember covering it up at night.

I have no expensive "cable service", just a TV with internet streaming.
TV remotes are typically unlit:cool:
I can navigate all our remotes by feel, but I find the Roku remote is usually the easiest. It's simple, the four-way "plus" is very easy to find by feel, and then to, say, go down two from the bottom of the plus to press play/pause. Anyone who has played a lot of video games should be used to knowing where buttons are without looking! :cool:

That gave me a bit of a flashback, to 1984. That was when I got my first VCR. At night, I noticed that the display on it was bright enough, that it actually lit up the room a bit. Nowadays, I sleep with the tv on, so something like that wouldn't bother me, but back then it sure did. Probably, because it was the first time I had something in my bedroom that lit up at night, so I was used to it being TOTALLY dark, other than whatever moonlight might come in.

It was kind of a greenish blue color, so it wasn't too jarring, but it was still enough, that I remember covering it up at night.

Now the da*n LEDs on the GFCIs, are bright enough to not need a night light on in the bathroom.

More amusement then peeve. Yesterday driving to dance class in Pittsburgh, there was a good 25 MPH headwind. Me doing speed limit and a pickup driver a ways behind me doing the same.

Most cars diong 15 to 20 MPH over the speed limit. So doing 70 with 20 headwinds is like 90. Fuel consumption goes up a lot with that kind of equivalent speed.
Guess fuel consumption is no lonnger an issue.

Now the da*n LEDs on the GFCIs, are bright enough to not need a night light on in the bathroom.

A new ones with LED let me know the original GFCI I replaced just a few years ago had been wired in backwards...new one would not reset w/o reversing load and line pairs.

That might be the case today, and I'm sure most people living there under 50 or so don't know or care. But they were all rooted in something originally. For instance, the early May one was May Day (what, you've never danced around a Maypole?) And the late May was Whitsun, but that's probably changed as the UK is more secular now. At least, I remember those two from growing up there decades ago.

May day is big there.... not so much here..

I remember seeing big marches on the TV...

OK, this one got me today...

Dr sent in a prescription on Mon... called this morning to ask when it would be filled as they normally take one day...

The peeve is that they said my insurance did not cover that prescription so they did not fill it... AND they never called to tell me...

WTF? Fill it and let me decide what to do... it is not like it is new or that it has not been filled under the prescription plan (might not have been covered before)... but I BOUGHT it before so I WANT it...

I had similar happen once, pharmacy would not fill an rx without insurance. I finally I convinced them to do so after reassuring them I'd pay out of pocket. It cost me 59 cents.

There was a blurb in AARP magazine about a new gov't reporting requirement for small businesses. I was amazed since I hadn't heard of such a thing. Yep, it's real. It's called Beneficial Ownership Information reporting:

BOI link #1

BOI link #2

There is tax-on-money and tax-on-time. This looks like yet another tax-on-time for small business owners. U.S. gov't bureaucrats don't seem to know what it takes to run a successful small business. :popcorn:
According to this article it looks like the small business reporting requirement has been put on hold. Good news for the 99.999999% not engaged in money laundering. :popcorn:

More of an irritation!:mad: I went to the eye doctor today, had good and interesting conversation with the doc. Then went for my contact lens fitting. I've had contacts for 30 years. The person fitting/adjusting my contacts seemed hesitant and unsure. Not sure if it was a bad day or if he is just incompetent. Then he said, they didn't have the lens I wear, so he used a larger diameter, (8.6 vs 8.4) much different, the kept flattening in the center making them hard to get in. Next, I could not resolve a line anywhere near where I should have, he kept putting lenses in front of me to get a focus so I could read. Nothing worked. So then he decides well you are dilated, you will need to come back later, (a week) and we will do the fitting/adjusting then. I have never had to come back, even when dilated.
I told the doc my vision had improved, doc was impressed that I knew that. However he said the reason it has improved is because of your cataract. You win some, you lose some. I will say at least this doc didn't try to push me into cataract surgery, last visit the the doc said I should think about it earlier rather than later. I can still read my phone with my contacts only and do my electronics with the aid of an Optivisor.

Not a peeve, but a long term observation.

Over the last year DW and/or I have had many flights out of the Baltimore airport. They have several parking ticket payment machines at the lowest level (leads to tunnel then escalators or elevators upstairs to arrivals or departures), where you can pay before going to your car and then stuck stick the ticket in the machine at the gate exit. Since at least September those machines have been out of service. Signs have been taped over them noting "Use machines at gate exit".

It does not matter to me, I am fine with using the machines at the gate exit.It just seems like a long time for them to be out of service and not repaired... but, every organization has their priorities :).

OK, this irritated me today....

I was driving along in the right lane next to a car... so the car next to me speeds up to pull in front of me only to put on their brakes to turn :mad:

Really, you could not just slow down and go behind me and not cause me to almost stop?

I was driving along in the right lane next to a car... so the car next to me speeds up to pull in front of me only to put on their brakes to turn :mad:

Really, you could not just slow down and go behind me and not cause me to almost stop?

Yeah, rudeness on the road seems to be increasing. Even in the land of Aloha (we say "Drive with Aloha) we seem to be getting worse - not better. Sad, really. I've become a much "nicer" driver since moving to the Islands but not everyone has caught the spirit of Aloha, I guess. YMMV

We never notice the good, polite drivers who do the right thing and help things flow properly, only the bad drivers who gum up the works.

And a corollary of that is, you can be driving down the road, with not another car behind you, as far as the eye can see. Yet, a car will pull out of a side street, right out in front of you, and take its sweet time.

Since we are talking about driving....

I probably said this here before, but a big pet peeve is when I use my blinker, usually on a highway.

In the right lane, want to move over to pass, or to avoid an on ramp. Car to the left is far enough back, and has been going that speed for a while. Put on the blinker. Then they decide they have to pass me first and speed up.

Another: On our recent trip to/from FL. 3 lanes. I am in the middle lane going with the speed of traffic, at 8 miles over the limit. Left lane is clear. Guy rides my bumper, then finally passes, on the right.

I really like the adaptive cruise control, but it seems if you leave more than about 2 car lengths between you and the car ahead you are perceived as going too slow. Sorry, way back in the stone age, we were taught to leave 1 car length for every 10 mph. You think there might be a reason you see so many multi-car pile-ups?

Rant over.

Since we are talking about driving....

I probably said this here before, but a big pet peeve is when I use my blinker, usually on a highway.

In the right lane, want to move over to pass, or to avoid an on ramp. Car to the left is far enough back, and has been going that speed for a while. Put on the blinker. Then they decide they have to pass me first and speed up.

Another: On our recent trip to/from FL. 3 lanes. I am in the middle lane going with the speed of traffic, at 8 miles over the limit. Left lane is clear. Guy rides my bumper, then finally passes, on the right.

I really like the adaptive cruise control, but it seems if you leave more than about 2 car lengths between you and the car ahead you are perceived as going too slow. Sorry, way back in the stone age, we were taught to leave 1 car length for every 10 mph. You think there might be a reason you see so many multi-car pile-ups?

Rant over.

Heh, heh, (respectfully) you have no right to "complain" if there was an open lane on I-75!:cool: I don't recall ever seeing that unless it was perhaps at 3:00 AM. First trip to FL, I recall 3 lanes of bumper to bumper at 75 mph and being scared spitless the whole time. It's been worse on subsequent trips.:facepalm:

A slight detour - I was on the Garden State Parkway last week for the first time in many years. There were 5 travel lanes in each direction on one stretch of it, and I felt a little uncomfortable, because it's hard to keep a watch on that many cars at once.

I used to be a migrant nuclear worker, living 6-12 months at a time at different nuclear plants around the south. Without fail, when I first started a new job, someone would caution me, “people don’t use their turn signals around here.” In Atlanta, a buddy used to say that using a turn signal was a sign of weakness.

So I go to the store for my colonoscopy prep stuff. OMG Gatorade has switched from a 32 oz qt to a 28 oz bottle. Sozz I have to buy 3 bottles and have to figure how to divide the Miralax. I think I will create a spreadsheet. :facepalm:

2 Things:

1) Hanania TV ads for their dealership. The MOST annoying add in the free world. I DO NOT want to be a member of their family.

2) The fact YouTube ignores my requests to NOT recommend channels to me that I mark do not recommend or am NOT interested in. If this is an example of AI we are really screwed.

A slight detour - I was on the Garden State Parkway last week for the first time in many years. There were 5 travel lanes in each direction on one stretch of it, and I felt a little uncomfortable, because it's hard to keep a watch on that many cars at once.

Thanks for another reason I don't miss NJ.

My pet peeve of the day is text messages. I know it's partly my hangup but I really feel a sense of urgency to drop what I'm doing and answer them. It's even worse when the sender isn't in my contact list and I have to respond with, "I'm sorry but who is this?". About 20 minutes ago I got a text form someone trying to log into our church web site admin account. She's authorized but forgot her password. So we're texting back and forth, she's sending screen shots, I made another suggestion... and that was 10 minutes ago. I asked for an update. No answer.

I'm gonna take a break.

Back
Top Bottom